Frankenmuth Red Sky Ale | Frankenmuth Brewery

Added by Beaver13 on 07-12-2010

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
4.25/5  rDev +25.7%

2.72/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

This is the second time I have had this beer, and I was equally disappointed. Thankfully, I was not the one that brought this to the bottle share. The beer poured a dark red color with a very slight aroma that could best be described as metallic. The taste is also faint. Though there are some sweet malts present with a hint of bitterness, the taste does not create a strong impression. In the aftertaste, on senses the malts becoming somewhat sour but nondescript. In my personal notes, I wrote the word "boring" from the first time I sampled this beer. I would say that adjective still applies.

2.93/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Beer pours rust to copper with a fair amount of lacing. The aroma hints at some sweet malt flavors, perhaps honey or molasses. Unfortunately, none of these flavors make an appearance. The initial taste is metallic, gradually fading to a faint but unpleasant bitterness that lingers. Mouthfeel is standard for an ale. Red Sky starts promising, but ultimately comes up short.

3.29/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottle poured into a Samuel Adams "Perfect Pint" glass.

Appearance: A crystal clear dark amber/brown color with about two fingers worth of a somewhat creamy and bubbly head. Lacing is actually really quite nice, considering the lack of much of a head.

Smell: When I first cracked the bottle open, I got a whiff of soy sauce. That smell at least faded away. Afterwards, I didn't get much else. A faint note of malt with a metallic smell as well. Very "blah".

Taste/feel: Quite muted, like the aroma. Pretty sweet with malts, and dark fruits or something like that. The biggest turn off for me here is what I seem to get in some beers -- a Diet Coke aftertaste. Not to say it tastes like Coke, but it has that artificial sweetener taste. Maybe some sort of fruit extract? I don't know. Not a very interesting beer, but quite drinkable... it would be much MORE drinkable if it weren't for that fake sugar taste. The feel on this beer is the best part about it... pretty lightly carbonated with a somewhat creamy feel.

Overall, it's just not that great of a beer. Bad by no means, but the beer would be much better if it had more of an aroma to it, and didn't have that odd, unnatural tasting aftertaste.

2.55/5  rDev -24.6%

Pours a completely clear dark red ale. There is very little carbonation and only the thinnest layer of a white head is created and goes away immediately.
Smell has a lot of dark malts to it. A sweet malt smell with some dark fruits, like prunes and raisins, a little plum.
Taste doesn't have a ton going on. Dark fruits and a strong plum taste. Not much beyond that.
Mouthfeel does not have a ton going on. Very thin with no feel.
Drinkability is okay on this thing. It is easy drinking, but not much to the taste, so not sure you would want to drink much of this beer.

3.21/5  rDev -5%

This beer pours a bold, clear copper with no head or lasting lace. The aroma is caramel with some hints of wood and grass. The flavor leads off with caramel and nuts followed by bread crust and a mild hop bitterness. It's mouthfeel is light-medium, drier than most Irish reds. Frankenmuth Red Sky Ale is a decent beer, recommended.

3.63/5  rDev +7.4%

Even though I saw the ratings on this one before I did a write-up, I was still excited to try it out. The others I've had of Frankenmuth were impressive.

This seems mildly belgian to me, odd enough as it is to say. The amber ale tones are definitely there, but it's a little tight, in my opinion. I'd like it to be more open and slightly more vibrant. But it's still an alright ale to be drinkin'. Hmmm. I sound like a pirate. I be drinkin' this here ale. Arrrhhhh.

P.S. This is better when warm.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast