Leipziger Gose | Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof

Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof
Germany
bayerischer-bahnhof.de

Style: Leipzig Gose

This original Leipzig beer specialty lends us the name for our brewery. Gose is a regional beer specialty that was brought to Saxony-Anhalt in the year 1738. Originally Gose comes from Goslar, a small town in Lower Saxony, and the river “Gose” in this town. This beer specialty has a refreshing, slightly sour taste and is ideal for quenching your thirst. Gose is brewed with the additional ingredients lactic acid, cilantro, and salt. Gose is a top-fermented beer with 4.5% ABV and 10.8% wort. You can enjoy it in different variations.

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 478 | Ratings: 1,008
Reviews by Georgiabeer:
4.45/5  rDev +14.4%

What a revelationj this beer is on-tap. I'd had it a couple of times in the bottle before, and while I thought it was interesting and pretty good, it didn't really grab me as a style or a beer. Once I had it on tap this summer at the Brick Store Pub, I just couldn't stop drinking it. It seems that at least every other time I would go to the pub I would order one of these, and it just kept getting better and better, particularly if it were hot outside. The bottles are also quite expensive, so this is relatively a much better deal. So refreshing, and the touch of salt an loads of coriander eventually made it addictive for me. Something just seemed to click with this beer on draft. Pours a super carbonated pale yellow with a very white fluffy head. Smells very slightly sour, with a hint of lemon and green apple and spicy with fresh wheat and you can smell a slight salty tang. Tastes very, very refreshing. Lots of coriander and some crisp wheat up front, and then the salty tang is quite noticeable against a background of light citrusy sourness and tannic, salty bitterness. This part of the beer is reminiscent of a salting crabapples that I remember doing as a child in the south. The salt, corander, citrus, and bitterness fronted by the spicy wheat just works- some type of alchemy is surely at work here. Thirst quenching in the mouth, with the slightest bit of prickliness, and perfectly refreshing. My new favorite summer beer.

4.13/5  rDev +6.2%

I really enjoy this gose, it feels like a style benchmark to me. I have to think in terms of bjcp style guidelines this would pretty much nail it. Salt addition is very well done, not mouth puckering like some of the newer American varieties that have come along, it's just a hint to make this super refreshing. The coriander is similarly restrained, you notice a whiff of it in the nose but it really isn't a coriander flavored beer in the strict sense. Mouthfeel is crisp, between the salt and the carbonation level plus the relatively light malt base. Definite grassiness in the flavor, and some light breadiness as well. There's a sensation of lime juice in the way this drinks, perhaps owing to the tart finish. This is an easy beer to recommend to anyone that wants to learn what a gose is all about.

4.31/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

11.2 oz. bottle poured into wheat beer glass

L: yellow, cloudy (but looks like it will clear), pushes up a pretty big head of white foam, maybe 1.5 inches tall; no stick/lace; indeed, it magically clears to crystal ... beautiful brew

S: musty ... almost farmhouse ale barnyard musty, but a bit cleaner; as it warms a little, takes on a thick grain/salt smell that's fantastic, unique -- it's a little like blue crabs or baitfish, something from a saltwater bay; coriander shows through as it warms (and if you give it a good swirl)

T: slightly tart (lime) grain ... like a perfect grainy lager grain with some surprising and fantastic sweetness (from the malt? wheat?) and only a slight hint of spice from the coriander; perhaps a pinch of cilantro, but in general the tart lime-grain flavor dominates; finishing sweetness is wonderful ... very understated but enough to balance the tart note; grain is mostly wheat bread

F: perfect ... light, well-carbonated, easy going down but not too thin

O: an absolute treat and a beer I'd drink by the gallon if I could get it easily ... wow is it good! the tart/coriander notes are fully in check with a slight saltiness and a lot of wheat grain. this beer explains why

4.6/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I simply adore this beer. I picked up just one bottle of it at Discount in Milwaukee a couple of days ago. I’m kicking myself now for not getting more. Time to harass Maduro into getting a barrel I think…

This was my first Gose so I’m not reviewing it within the confines of the style, just as a standalone brew.

Appearance: Bright and beautiful orange copper with a thick dollup of white cream that lasts for a really long time. Carbonation streams are beautiful and keep small amounts of yeast and herbs suspended. As I empty my weizen glass and go back to the bottle for more I get a generous pour of yeast, turning the brew light brown and completely cloudy (it was initially totally transparent).

Nose: Musty earth, herbaceous in the extreme, wheaty, slightly funky. There is lemon and lime in there. Just hints of funk. Awesome! Coriander and hay.

Taste: Comes on like a hefeweizen mixed with an amber, all fruity wheat and caramel and then bam, pow, slam, funk. Lemons and grapefruit rinds coated in that sour sugar at the bottom of a bag of sour patch kids hit you upside the palate. Pepper dries it all out and the coriander keeps it sweet enough to be balanced. A lot of this is reminding me of lambic but unlike lambic, this beer has a really solid, deeply earthy base. This is a full beer, a man’s beer, a German beer. It just manages to have some interesting funkiness to it too.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation and a nice creaminess that balances out the funkiness.

Drinkability: I could session this for sure.

4.55/5  rDev +17%

Presentation: My bottle looks just like the one in the picture. A half litre that drew me immediately as soon as I saw it – at last, the infamous Gose Style beer – and a chance to try it. Described as Brewed with Coriander and Salt.

Appearance: Clear amber gold body with a decent sized 3” white head that has a tint of beige. The mottled surface of the head collapses and leaves a thick sticky ring of lacing, akin to one of those markers that shows the level of the record village flood from 100 years ago. Throw in a few streamers and this really looks the business. A beauty.

Nose: Pungent, musty smells, almost like a sweaty salted beef mixed with freshly cut slices of lemons, limes & oranges. The Coriander is also there – and discernable. Farmyard aspects give a spicy cultured odor to this beer. Wow.

Taste: The best part for me – funky, extremely funky but in a very appealing way. Starts with a sour malt entrance, some spices rise to the middle, salty ending. As it warms lemon, grapefruits & orange rind all lend a freshly acidic twang; whilst the peppery nature of the beer balances this perfectly, all the time the spices, including but not limited to coriander, add a feisty lambic-like nature to the middle. Quiet amazing. All this and just 4.6%. This is most certainly new territory for me tonight.

Mouthfeel: Like a solid Pale Ale – it drinks very well and quenches the thirst easily, but it goes that extra yard, it tingles the tongue with a spritzy, randomly located pin pricks and it also teases the cheeks with dryness, and some farmyard funkiness at times that induces salivation after swallowing, just like a draft fresh lambic often does. Holy Shite this is so cool.

Drinkability: 'Gose' down *extremely* well – sorry couldn’t resist it. This is a quaffer for sure – I most certainly could drink this all night, especially with some good Cheese and Pickles. Damn, this would be THE beer to drink with an English Ploughman’s Lunch.

Overall: Never had anything like this, looks are deceptive; it easily could pass for a Pale Ale after the head settles. Certainly unique, which often means weird or freaky, but this is just different and a damn fine drinking beer that I really took to. Hmmm, I
may, I mean I must get some more of this.

Highly Recommended. Trad. Lambics fan will love it.

3.98/5  rDev +2.3%

From a bottle, which the gose was served in a Chimay chalice.

Appearance is light orange with a short white head. This beer that I had been meaning to try for some time has a smell of straw, grain, lemon and green apples. Upon sipping this gose, I taste salt, wheat, acid, citrus, with tartness. Mouthfeel is easy going , a proper carbonation for the style. It really is a great quaffer for a warm day, albeit one that may cause you to pucker your lips.

3.5/5  rDev -10%

3.68/5  rDev -5.4%

poured a hazy opaque orange witha a lot of carbonation released after pouring, lots of bubble action forming a dense white head.
fruity nose with corriander very reminescent of a wit style aroma although a bit under played on the some of the spice. good mouthfeel, nice refreshing wheat character...mixed style sort of...cross between a hefe and wit. clean aftertaste with just a hint of sourness in the finish.

This one is supposed to be a traditional Gose. The style was almost extinct from what I have read until a lot of the craft brew guys in the US have revitalized it. I have yet to try Westbrook but the Boulevard and Anderson Valley were really good, crisp and tart beers. This one is a bit different. Maybe this is why the style was going extinct? I will give it credit for being a more traditional version of this beer. But, honestly this beer smells like a sweaty sock. Color is very cloudy much like you would see in a wheat beer. The smell is almost like a moldy grain.

Head sticks around for a while and the color is golden and vary hazy. It looks like a wheat beer. Think Blue Moon or something in that vein.

Taste: Not much going on with this one. Not nearly as tart as the American versions, it does have that crispness, It almost tastes like a carbonated yet flat sweet cider but take out the tartness. I cannot for the life of me get a good description of this beer. It tastes unlike anything I have had before. It verges on something but I cannot quite get there with my palates memory. Its a bit tart, but not as tart as the American version's I have tried. Its really pretty bland in taste, maybe that is why I can't detect it. It really doesn't have much of any flavor of any kind.

Overall: I was interested in trying this one. I am thankful I just bought the one. It does not have a date on the bottle so I have no idea how old it is, but I doubt the store I purchased it from would allow it to stay very long considering its a low abv. beer. Would I buy this again, probably not considering there are others that are much better, to me anyway. Pretty boring beer for the price.

4.97/5  rDev +27.8%

I grew up on "well" water. We had two taps: one straight from the well and one that ran through "softener." This tastes like pure softener. Not "salty," rather, vaguely mineral and sandy in texture that gives the flavor a broad, fluffy texture to stand on.
The flavor is deliciously dry, with easy, sour orange acidity, damp concrete, and a grassy, branchy herbal snap on the finish. The color is a rich, cloudy brown/orange.
Another beer of ethereal quality from B. United.

4.26/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - The beer was a darker yellow color with a modest white head. Bubbles cling to the sides of the glass.

Smell - The wheat and salt of this gose comes through beautifully in the aroma. There is also a hint of Earthiness and some sweetness.

Taste - This is a little more sour upfront than I am used to drinking in a gose. The sour really comes to the front. The notes of cilantro are noticeable as well as a slight dull sweetness. The saltiness comes toward the back and lingers in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - I am not sure if something is wrong, but the carbonation is a lot flatter than I would expect. The positive in this being the extended aftertaste.

Overall - I enjoyed this one, but given the choice, I would probably choose a Westbrook Gose.

3.75/5  rDev -3.6%

The beer was served to me a cloudy ochre yellow, with a thick, yet dissipating white head. Good lacework down the side of the glass, and good head retention, although it thinned out a bit.
Aroma is sweet and malty, with a slightly popcorny quality. Light herbal quality, sort of like a witbier (coriander?), with a slight estery paint thinner feel as it warms up. Mild banana. A little bit like a hefeweisen, in the esteriness, although not as pronounced. Sort of salty, in that acidic way. Very odd. Unfamiliar and very interesting.
Flavor is a slightly corny maliness, with a strange sourness right up front. The flavor changes to a sort of hefeweisen, almost belgian candi sweetness at the end of the sip, then 180's back into a sour, dry, strange flavor, that somehow reminds me of going to the ocean. I can't place the flavor, but that's the mental picture i got when trying to come up with the flavor. Weird lemony flavor in the finish, actually quite pleasant, with a touch of yeasty breadiness. A slight peppery feel in the finish. The beer finishes very dry, with almost no aftertaste.
This was my first experience with gose. I really have no idea what the beer is, besides a hard to find german style. Very odd, but definitely an experience, and not unpleasant at that.

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

3.25/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

Sampled on-tap at the Sunset in Boston.

This gose poured a cloudy, yellow color with creamy, white foam that persisted a while but slowly settled, leaving a film coating the glass. The smell was floral with a touch of coriander and a light malt aroma. The taste was lightly sour with the flavor of wheat malt and coriander, very much like a witbier. The mouthfeel was smooth and dry with light body and good carbonation. The lightly tart taste lingered. This was a very refreshing brew, though it seems to taste slightly differently each time I have it. Proabably a delicate beer.

3.94/5  rDev +1.3%

Aroma: Citrus rind, fruit loops cereal, pineapple. It's very floral & perfumy.

Looks: Hazy golden/yellow. Big white head, with average head retention, and no lace.

Taste: Like none other. It tastes sour & salty. Some fruitiness, definately some lemon flavour. A tiny hint of coriander was there.

Mouthfeel: Very small bubbles, low CO2. Medium bodied. Creamy.

Overall, I think this was a great Beer. However, it was over-priced (almost $18.00 at Sam's in Chicago). I should mention that it came in a different bottle from the one shown in the picture, but definitely the same Beer.

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%

4.28/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I got this in a trade with nutbrown. Thanks Alan!

This pours from 16.9 oz bottle a cloudy orange brown with a good 2 finger head of foam. Bottle conditioned? Yep. No doubt about it. It has some nice sticky lacing too.

The smell is all spicy with a ton of coriander hitting my nose. I also get a good dose of lemon citrus.

The taste is first spicy from the coriander but I am also getting a good earthy malt and bready flavour along with a touch of funk that compliments the spice nicely. The finish has a slight sourness to it and that's working for me.

Pretty light bodied and the carbonation is also on the light side...man, this is a really tasty and oh so drinkable & sessionable brew. I love it!

Btw, I *just* poured the last of the bottle and took another sip and I'm just getting a smidgeon of malty sweetness that I didn't notice before. Another added treat to an already most enjoyable brew. Thanks again, Alan!

Leipziger Gose from Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof