Leipziger Gose | Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof

Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof
Germany
bayerischer-bahnhof.de

Style: Gose

This original Leipzig beer specialty lends us the name for our brewery. Gose is a regional beer specialty that was brought to Saxony-Anhalt in the year 1738. Originally Gose comes from Goslar, a small town in Lower Saxony, and the river “Gose” in this town. This beer specialty has a refreshing, slightly sour taste and is ideal for quenching your thirst. Gose is brewed with the additional ingredients lactic acid, cilantro, and salt. Gose is a top-fermented beer with 4.5% ABV and 10.8% wort. You can enjoy it in different variations.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-26-2003

3.9

1.5/5  rDev -61.5%

1.65/5  rDev -57.7%

$4.95 for a bottle at Beertopia.

Wow, this is the worst bottle I've had is a long time.

The sediment was intimidating to begin with, like ice tea that has an abundant of pepper flakes floating around. The aroma has a distinct sourness to it with some sort of fruit added in. The taste - wait for it - holy shit that's nasty! All I can pick out is sour fruit and grain alcohol that comes together in a complete mess that made me grimace and try to keep my tongue from imploding. I hope this is a bad bottle and that other people don't think this is worthy of A's and B's.

In case you couldn't guess, this is a drain pour.

1.75/5  rDev -55.1%

1.75/5  rDev -55.1%

1.8/5  rDev -53.8%

1.86/5  rDev -52.3%

12 oz bottle into a snifter.

A: It's a lively bright yellow pale color with a fizzy head, to the tune of a little over a finger's worth.

S: Distinct aroma of human armpit. Not stellar. Maybe faint spices in there as well (probably the coriander). There is also a tangy apple-cider smell.

T: It tastes worse than it smells. It actually tastes not unlike Busch Light. The coriander and salt are quite evident. The finish is a tangy, tart, hard cider kind of dryness. It tastes like a mixture of light beer, cider, and seltzer water.

M: The mouthfeel is incredibly thin and fizzy. I just can't shake the sensation that I'm drinking seltzer.

D: If you can get over the taste and smell, this would probably be fairly drinkable.

2.08/5  rDev -46.7%

I found a bottle of this at a local German deli and decided to give it a shot, having no previous knowledge of the brew.

Upon opening the bottle I was greeted with a black muck around the inside of the neck, and an odor resembling that of a poor tequila. I figured since it was bottle brewed this was normal. I poured it into a tall glass and observed very little head. I tried a small sip, it was kind of a weird taste, elements of a heff in that it had a very lemony taste. I couldn't taste the coriander as I can with something like a Blue Moon White beer.

Overall I wasn't impressed, it just didn't have a good complex, taste, or feel. I wouldn't drink this again.

2.29/5  rDev -41.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.43/5  rDev -37.7%

From notes:

Pours a murky, golden yellowish mustard brown color with a one finger foam white head. Decent retention, fading into a thin lasting ring. Minimal spots of lacing.

The aroma of this beer has quite a bit going on. Hints of citrus peel, wheat, bread, spice, earthy and lemon juice.

Soft carbonation with sweet citrus flavor up front followed by a spicy and earthy presence mid palate and an odd salty dry finish. Hints of lemon zest, clove, salt and slight hops.

2.44/5  rDev -37.4%

2.45/5  rDev -37.2%

500ml bottle, no dating

Pours what appears to be murky brown but actually a pinkish rose when held to light, with small amount of sediment floating in glass (from partial pour). Minimal head, but lacing sticks around for the duration.

Unique scent which is immediately fruity, mainly of tart cherries, but I can detect the saltiness after a good spell.

Salty, bitter, metallic. Wheat comes through after a few initial sips. Best flavor description I can garner is tonic water with added salty.

Crisp but full in body. One of its highlights.

Drinkability? You will either enjoy this for what it is, or absolutely hate it. Me, I had to add syrup halfway through, just to finish it. Besides the flavor, it made my stomach queasy with every sip.
As much as I love every other beer style from the great nation of Germany, I think this one needs to go by the wayside.

2.46/5  rDev -36.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

If you choose to buy this beer, I hope you are not ambivalent about the taste of corriander. Whoa! It is all over this brew.

I was very excited to try this revived, controversial style. I can see why it died. Just to declare bias, this is my first Gose. Right now, that makes sense, since there are only two on the database. But who knows what the future might bring?

If you can manage to slice through the corriander, which I am trying very hard to do, the strong wheat base comes through, rather like an American Wheat beer. Pale malts and wheat spiciness.

The salt is nowhere to be seen. Which is unfortunate. If you are going to butcher a beer with excess spices, you may as well clean the old' taste buds off once you're done with that assault.

Not a bad brew. But not a very good one either. Similar to an under-carbonated Wit.

2.5/5  rDev -35.9%

2.5/5  rDev -35.9%

2.54/5  rDev -34.9%

Very cloudy amber, nice color. Gentle 1cm white head, no carbonation apparent. Wild aroma, salty hops with a little matchstick, faint malt and lemony hints. A bit empty body-wise, it tastes rather meaty, vegetal, mineral, all over a tart background a bit like sour bread and rhubarb. Sour and Salty ain’t no friends. Light body, light carbonation. Bleh, hopefully the other gose defends this style better, because this one is one of those select few that deserves twice more points for the appearance than taste.

2.67/5  rDev -31.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.25

Not impressed

2.75/5  rDev -29.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.78/5  rDev -28.7%

Served on-draught at Bayrischer Bahnhof. Reviewed from notes taken in June 2011.

A: Pours a three finger head of slight (but nice) cream, average retention, and white colour. Colour is a hazy cloudy nontransparent orange-dirty brown colour. Appealing. A bit reminiscient of a hefeweizen, but "dirtier".

Sm: Hints of dirty esters. Sourness; maybe funk. Light and musty. Not great.

T: Souring estery hop climax. The open and body are comprised primarily of merely clean barley. The pinnacle is the souring hop climax; the finish carries those that linger. Simple, but a welcome change from mindless German pilseners. It's not quite balanced, but the climax is adequately emphasized.

Mf: Smooth and wet, complementing the sourness. A bit too wet, actually. Leaves a dry aftereffect that I'm not too fond of. Doesn't quite match the flavours of the body.

Dr: I don't really know the style well (this is me first beer in the style), but the emphasis seems to be on adequate presentation of the sourness. Belgian sours sure do this better, and this feels simple in comparison. I look forward to trying more beers in the style. Its low ABV never shows, not that you'd expect it to.

2.78/5  rDev -28.7%

No freshness dating. The bottle is an 11.2 fl. oz. not the one shown in the picture.

A= The cap pulls a lot of the bottle with it causing some breakage when I open the beer. I sure hope there isn't glass in my beer. The color is a hazy orange with no head and it actually looks uncarbonated...

S= The smell is an odd mix of spices. A little lemon maybe with some corriander. Maybe a tad tart. I wanna say I can sort of smell a salt water taste but it may be placebo.

T= The taste definitally has a salt note to it as well as a tartness and coriander. Very interesting. The finish is very wheaty. Unfortunatly this is totally uncarbonated. Is this suppose to be flat? The impression I get is a sort of flavored salt water.

M= No carbonation....

O= This beer really gets my goat. The bottle broke when I opened it leaving me worried I might be drinking some glass and the beer itself was totally uncarbonated leaving a sort of gross drying mouth to it. THe salt levels kept me interested and the flavor was unique but I'm mad I paid for this. This was my first dabble with this style and it was uncarbonated and potentially glass filled.

Leipziger Gose from Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof