Leipziger Gose | Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof

Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof
Germany
bayerischer-bahnhof.de

Style: Gose

This original Leipzig beer specialty lends us the name for our brewery. Gose is a regional beer specialty that was brought to Saxony-Anhalt in the year 1738. Originally Gose comes from Goslar, a small town in Lower Saxony, and the river “Gose” in this town. This beer specialty has a refreshing, slightly sour taste and is ideal for quenching your thirst. Gose is brewed with the additional ingredients lactic acid, cilantro, and salt. Gose is a top-fermented beer with 4.5% ABV and 10.8% wort. You can enjoy it in different variations.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-26-2003

3.9

Reviews: 470 | Ratings: 981
4.1/5  rDev +5.1%

A – Poured a nice somewhat hazy golden amber. A large three inch or so head formed on the top and this gradually faded and left behind a about an inch of foam which lasted pretty much until the session was over. A decent amount of side glass lasce was present, nothing extraordinary, but never the less decent enough looking. Ample carbonation could be seen rippling towards the top of the glass from below and this stayed well until the last drop. Overall more then decent looking.

S – The aroma was light, well balanced and intresting but light enough that you knew this was not anything heavy. The backbone of the smell was a nice grainey, grassy malted smell, which was very light and fresh. This was then balanced out nicely by almost a bitter or sour grape like aroma. This started to surprise me as I was picking up all kinds of fruit like esthers in the smell and made for a very unique expierence so far. I was not fully expecting it to have that kind of aroma coming off it it so this was starting to look good.

T – The flavor profile followed the aroma very tightly. Lots of grains and cereal like flavors, but very light, none of that musty bread like flavor. Lots of yeast like taste as well, and a nice fresh grass like mix in there. Now once you process all of that this odd, fruity, sort of sour like grape thing starts to come out again. It was very unique and I am guessing that is where this style comes from. It was not anything heavy by any means, but rather was quite light and pleasant. The overall flavor was very light and did not come off as too heavy at all. It was like a pilsner with a kick almost. Very nice and definitely different.

M – Lots of carbonation and a very light feel truly made this one a winner. It had a very crisp, clean and light feel to it. The carbonation hung arounf till the very end and this always helps to really push the flavors out there and give you a good overall expirence. Now this definatly had the feel of a good dinner brew, or even a summer day brew, however there was a little bit more to it and it had a bit more of a fullness then you would have thought.

D – Very nice as you would expect. Very low ABV, light feel, and nice light flavors always make for something that will come off high here. It was a good drinker and you could easily have more then one. The extra little punches to the flavor served to keep it from getting boring in any way. Overall very nice and definitely worth the price of admission.

Overall a good brew. I had wanted to try this because I love new styles and this was apparently the only one in its style. That struck me as odd, so I have been actively seeking it out. I am now very glad that I did because it was a wonderful light brew that really brought a little something different to the table. I would easily buy it if I ever saw it in a store, it was just that good. Try it if you can find it, it should not disappoint.

3.88/5  rDev -0.5%

Thanks to Rhettroactive for sharing this the other night. I believe this is my first of the style. It poured cloudy and pale, golden yellow in color. A thin white head barely covered the top.

In the aroma the wheat malt is definitely present with some sweeter, bready flavors. I get some salt and citrusy spice to it as well. Interesting but pretty refreshing aroma.

The salt is very apparent in the taste giving it a dry, saltiness throughout. I get a citrusy, coriander presence to it as well as more sweeter, wheat malts. Salt gave it a surprisingly refreshing quality when combined with the coriander citrus.

The mouthfeel is light with carbonation being high. Overall it was a very interesting and pretty good tasting beer. I thought the saltiness added a interesting and somewhat refreshing component to it. The citrus flavors worked well for it as well. I liked it.

4.15/5  rDev +6.4%

Presentation- poured from a 16.9 oz brown bottle without freshness date into a stange glass

A - A hazy pale color similar to sunbrewed tea with a thin white head that leaves lace of compact bubbles

S - A wheaty spiced ale scent with a slight mineral quality I am guessing is a result ofadded salt since I have never tasted a Gose before. I swirled the yeast residing on the bottom of the bottle and poured it into the ale, which gave a more weizen/wit essencwith more of the salt and spice taste. Decent fruity esters and light tropical aromas become noticeable.

M - Lightly effervescent with a tangy fruity sourness. Full and creamy feel with lighty sea salt aftertaste.

T - Much as I expected the taste of coriander gives wit-like impressions while the cloudy yeast and effervescence akin to a weizen. Nice ale fruitiness and honey-like sweetness followed by a dash of salt and a mineral flavor this pleasing and tasty.

D - A unique wheat ale which is sessionable and easy to drink with a variety of snacks. I chose aged gouda but this is a great ale for summer all by itself.

3.58/5  rDev -8.2%

Thanks to Joe for sending me this one. A style that I've been looking to try for quite some time.

A: A very pale golden yellow color with some light haze and a large white head.

S: An interesting mix of sweet malts, honey, sweet fruits, a hint of spice, salt, and a touch of lactic acid. Interesting to say the least.

T: The saltiness is more upfront when it comes to the flavor of the beer. That said, there is still a substantial sweet honey-like component that goes well with the light tartness.

M: Fairly light in body with a moderate carbonation, somewhat refreshing, despite the saltiness.

D: A really interesting combination of flavors here. I enjoyed it, but I don't know how much of this stuff I could drink--plus, these seem to be hard to find around here.

3.92/5  rDev +0.5%

Served in a Hirter stange.

Pours a very hazy lemon straw with a fairly thick white foamy head that disappears almost entirely after a minute or so. The smell is heavy on the lemon, with dashes of cracked pepper, salt, and very subtle hops. The taste generally follows the nose, with the coriander hiking up the lemony flavor, pushing the pepper to the back, and nearly drowning out the hops' bitterness. In the end, a general saltiness coming through on the back and sides of the tongue. This overall fruitiness and spiciness makes for a pretty distinctive tasting. That, coupled with a generously medium body and low ABV, makes for a nicely drinkable brew.

4.02/5  rDev +3.1%

My recent willingness to depart from The CANQuest (TM) to try some bottled beers for a while has led me to this beer, which I had frankly wanted to try for some time. Prosit!

From the bottle: "Leipziger Gose is unfiltered and bottle-conditioned. Its flavor and taste profile are quite complex with pleasant notes of coriander on the palate. The salt level is calculated to be present and tangible but just below the level at which humans can actually "taste" salt. The Gose style is named after the town of "Goslar," the historic origin of the style. Likewise, Goslar is named after the river "Gose."

Friends, I hate to break it to yinz, but thanks to so many exposures to Minhas products, I am more and less than human. I have been partially subsumed into becoming a Cyberman, but only partially. That, plus given all of my underway time in the Navy, I am one salty dog, so if I can taste salt in this beer, it is because I am no longer human.

The pour revealed what I thought was initially going to be a Greg Koch special - a fizzy yellow beer until I caught some. unexpected lees and it turned cloudy on me. I had a finger of rocky bone-white head with very good retention in the creeping humidity this evening. Color went from a golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity to a hazy orangish-yellow in just a millisecond. Depending on how clear you want your beer, a gentle pour may be in order. The nose had a pronounced peppery odor, thanks to the coriander, but I could swear that I also caught some salt spray in there. Salt & pepper - what a novel concept! Mouthfeel was full and brisk and it tasted like the lemon pepper seasoning that I like to put on fish. To say that the finish was dry would be like saying that the "Mona Lisa" is a painting. This was alum dry! You could pour this on electronic components in lieu of dessicant in terms of its dryness. Arid Extra Dry had nothing on how dry this beer finished. I think that I would now like to drink a beer.

4.13/5  rDev +5.9%

On tap at the Farmers' Cabinet served in a sort of hex-shaped pint glass. This brew appears a cloudy straw yellow color with a finger plus of white froth. The cap retains fairly well. As it slowly recedes, it leaves spots and finger-like patterns of lace sticking to the glass.

The smell if this brew comes across minorly salty with a bit of a mineral feel to the aroma. More smells seem to be more and more like Berliner weisse with a mild lacto character mixed with lemon and a sweet smell of cereal grains and wheat. There is a fruited quality that comes out towards the backend.

The taste is tart and lemony with a hint if seasalt imparting some minor mineral flavoring. Some fruit like lemon zest and flesh mixes with cereal grain character providing a nice sweetness to counteract the overall tart character of the brew. Faint notes of coriander play in the background with some lemon oily character and a touch of orange.

This is a super easy drinking brew that is tart and refreshing. A modest level of carbonation provides a nice tingle on the tongue. This is light bodied and an awesome take on the style. The alcohol is well hidden for nearly 5%. I haven't had many Gose offerings but this one is by far my favorite to date. Subtle salt addition with pleasant tartness. Very similar to the Berliner weisse style but with a bit of a twist.

4.03/5  rDev +3.3%

This is pretty crazy beer, I've had Scott Smith's Here it Gose Again...East End brewed gose. This will be my first German brewed authentic version, pours a deep yellow orange golden cloudy color with a bright white head. Label calls it a beer brewed with coriander and salt. Fine lacing left behind between sips beautiful looking brew. Aroma at first was bit sulfurous with a brisk wind of sea salt and lemon peel citrus blends with coriander spice. Flavor is impressive, really unique great tasting beer I'm glad I finally gave this a try. Every time I had seen it before it was in a crazy shaped flip top bottle with a pretty high price tag. This 11.2 oz brown bottle for 3 something a bottle seemed much more fair for never having a real version of this stuff. Spicy coriander flows with tart lemon flavor perfect German wheat beer with a hint of salt, not salty you can more or less get the mineral aspect. Mouthfeel is light bodied super effervescent CO2 on the high end. Really interesting unique beer that I will be revisiting in the future...excellent stuff.

4.12/5  rDev +5.6%

Well damnit if I’'m not glad I bought this last bottle at Eagle Provisions when it was there.

Pours a clouded amber gold. Nose is yeasty and citrus. Flavor is yeasty, slightly wheat-y and leaves a long citric flavor on the tongue. It seems like a cross between a Belgian brew and a German. Quite interesting really. Definite spice influence, though I have to admit that my palate for spices is immature, so I can’t pick them out as I should be able to. On the mouth it is low in carbonation but slightly thick in ingredients. Extremely drinkable. Like I said, this was the last bottle to be had where I bought it. If you see it, go for it.

3.8/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured from the bottle into a wheat ale glass. Getting my Gose-UH on.. oh yeah.

A foamy large head of about three fingers which falls at a good clip, slightly off white in color, stryofoam looking. Body is cloudy gold looking with faint dark muddy brown edges. Cola like bubbles stick to the sides, and some faint rising carbonation.

Nose is a good bit of chewy malt wheat, very faint clean lemon, even slight briny sense.

Taste is interesting. Clean refreshing lemon light sense, almost soda like, but a refreshing light tangy feel. Very light bodied but with a playful apricot finish.

Overall quite a refreshing drink, bordering on apricot soda, and malt refreshment. Quite nice.

3.45/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured dark gold with a thick white bubbly head that soon almost completely vanished to a wisp.
The smell was thin - a touch of coriander and hints of other spices.
The taste was of coriander, and eventually some citrusy lemon and orange crept in, but remained fairly subdued. It was a bit watery. The salt was hardly noticeable, until a bite in the feel on the tongue.
The feel, overall, was thin - the salt gave a drying effect.
A curious drink - something a bit unique - but nothing that I, personally, was impressed with, or that I was particularly craving more of when I was finished.

3.97/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

My first "gose" ever...didn't even know what one was until I bought this bottle. Okay, so "gose" it is!
Appearance: cloudy pale orange color, with a thick, creamy white head. Nice, attractive.
Aroma: spicy, yet soft, with whiffs of fresh sea-foam like I'm detected in weizens, big with spice, and citrus, and so far I'm geared up for something like a hefe or a wit...
Taste: unusual! Dry, and mellow, with an initial sourness. Not at all like I was expecting after that nose, way too flat on the palate. Rather light-bodied, cool and mild, with a very soft finish. I think I can actually taste the salt, too, I get the merest taste of salt, without it being too salty.
Very drinkable, this, very, very, although I liked it, but it couldn't love it. I needed more of a kick in the flavor for that.
An intriguing style, rarely encountered, and quite easy to appreciate. If I'm ever in the mood for a mellow, dry brew that won't go and blow my mind, gose it is!

4.15/5  rDev +6.4%

Thanks to John-Peter for bringing over a bottle of this brew. Served in a weizen glass.

A - Ridiculous foam that dissolves rather quickly and leaves negligible lacing. Slightly hazed golden straw color with an insane amount of bubbles rising to the top.

S - Salt, lacto sour, yeast, banana, coriander, lemon - it's like a spiced Berliner weiss. Really strong smell on this one. This is a really unique, and I don't have any other stylistic examples to compare it to.

T - The taste is much smoother, with lots of sweet banana, and tropical fruit. Malting the wheat takes out a lot of the sharpness, so there's only a little twang, and there's a touch of sour lemon to the flavor. Reminds me a little of Eric's Ale in a weird way.

M - Light, with surprisngly low carbonation (must go into the ridiculous foam), and a dry finish that leaves that too much candy feeling.

D - If the smell weren't so twangy this would be even more drinkable. Low alcohol and carbonation - very refreshing.

I'd highly recommend this for anyone who's into Berliner Weiss or peach lambic.

4.38/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

05/12/05- Purchased at Wine Exchange of Sonoma.

Presentation- 16.9oz bottle with no dating. Poured into my Ayinger weizen glass.

Appearance- A bit of a cloudy golden pour, a large on the creamy side foamy head and above average lacing. At least 1/2 inch of head was left throughout the entire beer.

Smell- A touch of corriander as well as a bit of a black olive scent. Maybe some kind of vegatable scent as well. Interesting, but not bad.

Taste- Was prepared to not like this one because of the "salt" factor. But, was I ever suprised. Tastes like a combo between a pils, hefe and get this...a flanders type ale? It has the nice wheat and corriander which makes you think weizen, and the light metallic twinge and bit of grain that says pils and I guess because of the salt, it creates a tad bit of sourness you might find in a flanders. All rolled into one it really works.

Mouthfeel- Lighter carbonation than expected, very smooth, clean and crisp as well.

Drinkability- This is a great summer beer. So easy to drink and one of the most refreshing beers I have had. The price was a bit steep ($4.50 I think), but it was worth it. I'm wishing I snagged another couple of these. Damn!

3.86/5  rDev -1%

Pours a hazy, maize color. 1/2 inch head of a white color. Good retention and poor lacing. Smells of wheat, slight tart malt, pale hops, citrus (lemon), slight pale malt, and hint of yeast. Fits the style of a Gose. Mouth feel is slightly smooth and crisp with an average carbonation level. There is also a noticeable tartness. Tastes of lemon, sweet malt, slight pale malt, hint of hops, and hint of wheat. I've never had a Gose before, but this seems to fit the description pretty well.

3.47/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a New Glarus flute.

A: Hazy, pale golden

S: Mild lemony smell; some malt; not much going on

T: Mild sour and tartness; very little salt

M: Not overly carbonated, but a fair amount; a bit tangy

O: Nothing like I'm used to in the regards to Gose. Westbrook has perfected it in my opinion. This wasn't bad, but not great compared to what I've had. This could have been a bit old, as it was sitting in the cooler at my local haunt for several months. May revisit this with a fresh bottle.

4.32/5  rDev +10.8%

Got this beer at a local beer shop. It was kind of expensive so it took me a couple of times before I pulled the trigger. I'm so glad I did. Not only is it the only bottle Gose beer I've seen in the country, this beer is amazing. Run out. Stop reading, buy and drink this beer.
This beer is light yellow and clear. It pours with a serious head but it falls away to almost nothing really quick. There is steady carbonation, small bubbles. I'm drinking this out of a Radeberger pilsner flute, the best vessel I could find. The smell is interesting. Spice, I can't quite put my finger on it, corridander maybe. The taste, its amazing, lactic sourness, sweetness, spice comes through. This beer is so refreshing. My wife loves it as well. Its a great drink, all around. Well done. Why are you still reading? Go get it!

4.2/5  rDev +7.7%

Finally my first Gose! I freaked when I saw this sitting on the shelf at a store that I hadn't been to in about three months. It poured a murky, muddied dark yellow with an orange aspect to it with a frothy one finger white head. The head dissipated within a minute or two and laced the glass. It smelled pretty salty and featured yeast, citrus, and clove like aromas. The salt hit initially then calmed down. The flavors are definitely interesting. It's primarily yeast with citrus fruits, cloves, banana, and light sodium. It has this odd effect on your tongue. The initial salt dried mine out and then it made my mouth water as the fruits hit. It reminded me of when you walk out of the ocean and you didn't get all of the salt water off of your lips. Normally I'd think that was odd but this is pretty flavorful. It drinks medium in body and is pretty smooth. It tingles the palate. I find this to be pretty drinkable. It's essentially a solid, heavier wheat beer with citrus fruits with a touch of salt. Thank god I finally got to try this style. I may have to go after some others.

3.83/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured into a Uerige stange. Pours a light yellow-orange amber. Fine white two finger head and active carbonation, resultiing in great retention and lacing. Aroma of faint sweet malt, coriander, strong mineral component, slightly sour. Flavor also has a dry, mineral component melded with light wheat, a hint of malt, slightly acidic lemon. Finishes dry with a suggestion of coriander and salt, somewhat sour. All flavors are light, but surprising amount of complexity for the low key taste components. Very light bodied, but nice carbonation. A very interesting, uncommon beer style that I'm glad I finally got to try.

3.44/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

While i haven't had all that many gose beers, this one seems a bit mild in the saline category

Pours a very light golden with white head that fluffed up fairly way, but stayed down as it drank.

Wheat malt is dominant aroma, but isn't all that powerful. A bit tangy. Soft spices of coriander and white pepper.

The salt is very mild here, and doesn't quite transform the beer from tart to sharp. Coriander and the wheat provide a tingly lemon essence, just shy of sweet.
While a refreshing beer and quite sessionable, it falls a bit short of a summer quencher

Thanks goes out to tai4ji2x and ybnorml for this brew.

Poured into a chalice a very nice hazy golden yellow color, nice carbonation, nice little white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some yeast, slight soury. The taste is pretty nice, better than I expected, malty, with some yeast, tangy, slight lemon/grapefruit. Medium body. Drinkable, this is a nice one, glad to have the bigger bottle of this brew still left.

4.42/5  rDev +13.3%

Now what in the world is THIS suppose to be, a witbier brewed with sea water, then mixed with a Berliner Weiss? I guess I'll have to find out. 330 ml longneck, on to the beer:

Looks like a kristalweizen. It's golden blonde in color, clean bodied, carbonation bubbles rising to the top. The head is big and airy, slowly going down. The coriander is big in the nose, with a fresh sqeeze of orange. Refreshing! I even got that little note of that sea salt.

It's a little sour. A little lemon pucker. And with a little orange (I'm guessing that's the coriander). You really taste the tang that the salt provides on the sides of your palate. I really enjoy the curveball that the salt adds to this beer. In fact, I think NYC officials would try to ban this, given the anti-salt crusade they're on. Sour orange? This is thought provoking. Wait, if this is brewed with salt, does that mean this brew violates the Reinheitsgebot?

Dear American craft brewers, start brewing with salt! What a great beer, and what a style I've discovered here. Now, get me another bottle!

4.56/5  rDev +16.9%

Leipziger Gose

Pours a clear gold with a chill haze and a sea foam like head.
Aroma of dry wheat, and once again I must refer to sea foam, as there is a scent of saltwater. Light breadyness also.
Taste is tart, with a mild and palatable sour and definitely a little sodium bicarbonate. Savory and complex on the palate, tart, with mild coriander spice delicately interwoven with some wheat and citrus flavors. Euro pale malt body is there somewhere. Light bodied but with stinging carbonation. Overall, one of the most complex, authentic, and amazing beers I've had of German origin. Could drink this regularly.

Poured a murky medium burnt copper hue with a three finger foamy white head. There was good retention and lacing.

The smell featured a spicy wheat aroma with a good estery yeast.

The taste was robust and husky with a substantial grainy wheat and mineral twang. Some sweetness and a dry and almost bitter finish.

The mouthfeel was light, yet chewy with an astringent wheat finish.

Overall a very nice experience. An interesting style that is hard to come by in these parts. Very drinkable and suprisingly complex.

4.45/5  rDev +14.1%

What a revelationj this beer is on-tap. I'd had it a couple of times in the bottle before, and while I thought it was interesting and pretty good, it didn't really grab me as a style or a beer. Once I had it on tap this summer at the Brick Store Pub, I just couldn't stop drinking it. It seems that at least every other time I would go to the pub I would order one of these, and it just kept getting better and better, particularly if it were hot outside. The bottles are also quite expensive, so this is relatively a much better deal. So refreshing, and the touch of salt an loads of coriander eventually made it addictive for me. Something just seemed to click with this beer on draft. Pours a super carbonated pale yellow with a very white fluffy head. Smells very slightly sour, with a hint of lemon and green apple and spicy with fresh wheat and you can smell a slight salty tang. Tastes very, very refreshing. Lots of coriander and some crisp wheat up front, and then the salty tang is quite noticeable against a background of light citrusy sourness and tannic, salty bitterness. This part of the beer is reminiscent of a salting crabapples that I remember doing as a child in the south. The salt, corander, citrus, and bitterness fronted by the spicy wheat just works- some type of alchemy is surely at work here. Thirst quenching in the mouth, with the slightest bit of prickliness, and perfectly refreshing. My new favorite summer beer.

Leipziger Gose from Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof