Leipziger Gose | Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof

Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof
Germany
bayerischer-bahnhof.de

Style: Gose

This original Leipzig beer specialty lends us the name for our brewery. Gose is a regional beer specialty that was brought to Saxony-Anhalt in the year 1738. Originally Gose comes from Goslar, a small town in Lower Saxony, and the river “Gose” in this town. This beer specialty has a refreshing, slightly sour taste and is ideal for quenching your thirst. Gose is brewed with the additional ingredients lactic acid, cilantro, and salt. Gose is a top-fermented beer with 4.5% ABV and 10.8% wort. You can enjoy it in different variations.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-26-2003

4.38/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The story of Liepzig's ghost beer coming back from the dead is probably more interesting than the beer itself, although it's subtle tartness and dryness from the addition of salt do give it a really unique, refreshing quality. It pours easily enough, giving rise to a full head of thin, creamy white lace that holds exceptionally well and leaves thick, long-lasting rings of lace about the glass. Very fine, effervescent bubbles can be seen rising quickly to the surface, and it basically resembles any well-made hefe-weizen. Coriander is evident in the nose along with a touch of weizen-type yeast characteristic (apple and subtle phenolics). In the mouth it's tiny bubbles lend a gentle caresses as its light body passes smoothly away with a delicate creaminess. Wheat malt appears first on the palate, followed by some dark fruitiness (similar to that of a hefe-weizen, but there's no banana except for a very soft note in the aftertaste) and a splash of tartness; followed by a mild coriander flavor and some herbal hops at the swallow. Seemingly out of nowhere, salt springs forth... drying, tangy?, and oddly refreshing!!! It's not as bold in flavor as a traditional Bavarian hefe-weizen, but it's unique characteristics, less-sweet flavor, and slightly lower alcohol may give it a bit more drinkability. If you like hefe-weizens and tart (or lightly tart) beers, then this is a must try!

3.83/5  rDev -1.5%

A: Pours cloudy light gold with some visible sediment in it. The head was foamy and white, about a finger in height and quickly dissipated. The beer did exhibit some small amount of lacing on the glass.

S: Aromas of bready malts, a little floral, and a little lemon.

T: A little lemony with hints of tartness/sourness but very refreshing and with an apricot finish.

M: Light bodied with moderate carbonation, a slight tingle on the tongue from the acidity.

O: Very refreshing and something that would be wonderful on that first warm day of spring, enjoyed outside. I really enjoyed the beer and would love to see more offerings available in this style.

3.66/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Pemmet for grabbing this for me. This should go well on a crazy hot summer day.

Pours a huge fizzy almost 3 finger head that fades semi quickly at first like it's eating itself, then slows as it hits the 2 finger mark, and leaves spotty lacing all around, over a crystal clear honey tan colored beer.

Nose has an almost Belgian wit like aroma, not really the spices although there is a bit of coriander, but the Belgian malt profile, light bready grainy toasty straw like malts, a nice yeast profile with faint touches of esters but not the fruity esters, but eventually turns into that German grainy straw toasted malt beer with a faint hint of salt even.

Taste brings coriander to start, a little floral and almost tea like, with a juicy flowery tea and coriander flavors. Then into malts, soft malts this time around, almost wheat like, little grainy malt character, mostly pale malt. I don't really get the salt at first, but eventually when searching for it I can get a faint hint of it. I can almost swear I get orange zest as well faintly. Finish is not as dry as I expected, a little sticky but somewhat dry, hint of salt here, more lingering floral coriander and touch of almost sweet fruit flavor lingering.

Mouth is med to lighter bod, carb is a bit lighter than I expected.

Overall not bad, I think it's lost something from when it was in Germany, as most of the beers I've had here and while in Germany. It's decent, but I want to try it super fresh sometime. Seems like it's not quite the same beer it should be.

4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured from an 11.2oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light gold color with a large white head that fades quickly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of wheat, spices, light malts and some hops.

T: The taste hits with a sharp spiciness up front along with complimentary flavors of wheat and some fruit. The hops presence is mild and the malt character is thin, but they provide some balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet and slightly bready.

M: Smooth and very crisp, light body, medium-to-high carbonation, clean and dry finish.

D: Tasty, goes down easily, not filling at all, mild kick, it's my first beer in this style and I enjoyed it. It's a very good lighter beer to drink for a while.

4.13/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours a light golden color with a great fluffy head that left some light lacing,aroma is of lemons with a hint of mineral.Taste is light and refreshing pretty acidic with that saltiness showing thru in the finish and aftertaste wich was more pronounced than what I thought it would be.A great easy drinker I think would be great on a hot summer day here in Carolina.

4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

On tap at ChurchKey in Washington, DC

A: Pours a somewhat cloudy faint yellow with a white head.

S: Somewhat funky with a bit of saltiness; acidic and a bit of mild fruit-like sweetness.

T: A little bit more funk and acidity comes out in the taste over the smell, but neither is too overpowering. A little bit of coriander spice comes through as well.

M: Light-bodied with good carbonation.

D: Quite drinkable--this is light and fairly low in alcohol, and the uniqueness of the beer keeps me wanting another sip.

4.19/5  rDev +7.7%

A - Two fingers of white head on a slightly hazy, yellow body. The foam settles slowly and leaves good lace.

S - Lively lemon oil aroma, very fresh and unique. Lots of spicy wheat and slightly fruity yeast.

T - Tart wheat with a huge lemon note and a hint of lime. Grainy and puckeringly acidic in the finish but not quite what I would call sour.

M - Medium body, moderately high carbonation, and a dry, cider-like finish.

D - An extremely unique and refreshing beer that is very drinkable. The aroma is spectacular, it smells like oil squeezed out of a fresh lemon peel, though the flavor is not quite as good. This one is a must try if you come across it and the style is deserving of the revival is it experiencing.

3.69/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.28/5  rDev -15.7%

Just a slight cap of foam in the tulip. Hazy, dull golden color. Tart and reminds me of a Berliner Weissbier. The sharp taste fades a little into some mellower malt. A hint of fruit like pears and a very tart apple. Touch of hoppy bitterness. Like it was carefully fermented past any hint of residual sugar to a dose of vinegar. Rather clean, unfunky taste without any off flavors. Nose is slight beer, slight vinegar. Overall effect is not very drinkable but might be fine with sweet sausage and peppers.

Well, the mystery is whether this is a better than average Gose. I'm definitely on the lookout for some domestic versions of this wild style.

3.88/5  rDev -0.3%

Thanks to Rhettroactive for sharing this the other night. I believe this is my first of the style. It poured cloudy and pale, golden yellow in color. A thin white head barely covered the top.

In the aroma the wheat malt is definitely present with some sweeter, bready flavors. I get some salt and citrusy spice to it as well. Interesting but pretty refreshing aroma.

The salt is very apparent in the taste giving it a dry, saltiness throughout. I get a citrusy, coriander presence to it as well as more sweeter, wheat malts. Salt gave it a surprisingly refreshing quality when combined with the coriander citrus.

The mouthfeel is light with carbonation being high. Overall it was a very interesting and pretty good tasting beer. I thought the saltiness added a interesting and somewhat refreshing component to it. The citrus flavors worked well for it as well. I liked it.

3.75/5  rDev -3.6%

Pours a very effervescent bronze with 4 fingers of off white head. Gets a little opague towards the bottom of the bottle. Good head retention & lacing

S:Yeasty & peppery up front

T: Whear tartness quickly overwhelmed by yeasty taste, pepper & coriander. Some earthy breadyness in the middle. I'm getting the salt taste along with a little lemonin the back of the throat. I get a little carboard & dryness as this continues to warm. Finishes fruitty with grainyness & spices & quenching

MF: Light bodied with low carbonation

Drinks okay, this minus the cardboardy taste is pretty much how I rember this tasting the one time I had this in Germany. Worth a try, not to my tastes. I'm never really impressed with most rustic biers unless they are loaded with heft & flavor. This is what it is

3.75/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.95/5  rDev +1.5%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy, pale yellow body filled with dark floaties and a topped by a thinning white head.

Smell: Lightly tart lemon wheat aroma that has, for me, only a mild coriander presence, but a good bit of saltiness to it, like standing near the ocean.

Taste: Wheat base imparting a gentle sweetness rounded out by soft citrus notes and a light spicing of coriander. Both the salt and the lactic qualities present themselves in the dry, lasting finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: I am totally powerless to resist it's refreshing uniqueness. Everyone wins when they play Duck, Duck, Gose.

4.02/5  rDev +3.3%

My recent willingness to depart from The CANQuest (TM) to try some bottled beers for a while has led me to this beer, which I had frankly wanted to try for some time. Prosit!

From the bottle: "Leipziger Gose is unfiltered and bottle-conditioned. Its flavor and taste profile are quite complex with pleasant notes of coriander on the palate. The salt level is calculated to be present and tangible but just below the level at which humans can actually "taste" salt. The Gose style is named after the town of "Goslar," the historic origin of the style. Likewise, Goslar is named after the river "Gose."

Friends, I hate to break it to yinz, but thanks to so many exposures to Minhas products, I am more and less than human. I have been partially subsumed into becoming a Cyberman, but only partially. That, plus given all of my underway time in the Navy, I am one salty dog, so if I can taste salt in this beer, it is because I am no longer human.

The pour revealed what I thought was initially going to be a Greg Koch special - a fizzy yellow beer until I caught some. unexpected lees and it turned cloudy on me. I had a finger of rocky bone-white head with very good retention in the creeping humidity this evening. Color went from a golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity to a hazy orangish-yellow in just a millisecond. Depending on how clear you want your beer, a gentle pour may be in order. The nose had a pronounced peppery odor, thanks to the coriander, but I could swear that I also caught some salt spray in there. Salt & pepper - what a novel concept! Mouthfeel was full and brisk and it tasted like the lemon pepper seasoning that I like to put on fish. To say that the finish was dry would be like saying that the "Mona Lisa" is a painting. This was alum dry! You could pour this on electronic components in lieu of dessicant in terms of its dryness. Arid Extra Dry had nothing on how dry this beer finished. I think that I would now like to drink a beer.

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%

3.88/5  rDev -0.3%

A: Poured a somewhat cloudy straw/golden color with a huge white head upon pouring. This reduced to a thin layer on top with some foamy lacing left on the glass. Carbonation bubbles released from the bottom.

S: Lots of wheat and grain on the aroma with some light grass and a little bit of lemon. There is an ever so slight funk as well.

T: Slightly sour and sweet with a little bit of spice up front. The wheat is certainly present with some light fruit, lemon is present. I got a slight saltiness.

M: Pretty light with high carbonation, rather crisp with a clean mouthfeel and a slightly dry finish.

O: Very enjoyable, slightly tart, slightly sweet. Hope to have more Gose in the future.

3.5/5  rDev -10%

Hazy butternut-pumpkin with a dust storm of powdery yeast in suspended animation. Within several minutes of the initial pour there are no more visible bubbles. However, the cap is stiff enough to remain at two fingers for a good, long while. Despite the fact that a few large splotches end up on the glass, there's much more glass visible than lace.

The nose has a wheaty tang and features a whiff of floral, slightly spicy hops. I can't say that I appreciate the coriander, though. Other than being different and interesting, to some extent anyway, the aroma isn't all that special. Both socks are still firmly on my feet.

After tasting... my socks haven't budged. Gose has a soft, wheaty underbelly, along with a modestly acidic, lemony, unripe apple tang and a semi-firm hop bitterness. Coriander is now apparent, but is on the mild side. This is one subtle beer. To be fair, it does become a bit more bold as the ounces pass. Whether that's due to warming or because most of the 'good stuff' was at the bottom of the bottle, I couldn't say.

I don't know that I would have noticed the salt without knowing it was there. It doesn't intrude and really isn't even appreciated at all until a mild saline bite on the finish. I thought that I'd like the 'added salt' quality of this beer... and I do. The mouthfeel is serviceable: light-medium, smooth, softly carbonated. In other words, an appropriate match for the rest of the beer's attributes.

This is my first gose (not that the world is crawling with them) so I wasn't entirely sure what to expect. I did, however, expect something more aggressive with respect to both coriander and salt. It's my understanding that this is another one of those odd German beers to which people occasionally add flavored and colored syrups. If I was in charge at Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei, I'd eliminate the need to add anything to the beer by simply making it goser.

3.58/5  rDev -8%