Leipziger Gose | Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof

Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof
Germany
bayerischer-bahnhof.de

Style: Gose

This original Leipzig beer specialty lends us the name for our brewery. Gose is a regional beer specialty that was brought to Saxony-Anhalt in the year 1738. Originally Gose comes from Goslar, a small town in Lower Saxony, and the river “Gose” in this town. This beer specialty has a refreshing, slightly sour taste and is ideal for quenching your thirst. Gose is brewed with the additional ingredients lactic acid, cilantro, and salt. Gose is a top-fermented beer with 4.5% ABV and 10.8% wort. You can enjoy it in different variations.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-26-2003

3.9

4.02/5  rDev +3.1%

My recent willingness to depart from The CANQuest (TM) to try some bottled beers for a while has led me to this beer, which I had frankly wanted to try for some time. Prosit!

From the bottle: "Leipziger Gose is unfiltered and bottle-conditioned. Its flavor and taste profile are quite complex with pleasant notes of coriander on the palate. The salt level is calculated to be present and tangible but just below the level at which humans can actually "taste" salt. The Gose style is named after the town of "Goslar," the historic origin of the style. Likewise, Goslar is named after the river "Gose."

Friends, I hate to break it to yinz, but thanks to so many exposures to Minhas products, I am more and less than human. I have been partially subsumed into becoming a Cyberman, but only partially. That, plus given all of my underway time in the Navy, I am one salty dog, so if I can taste salt in this beer, it is because I am no longer human.

The pour revealed what I thought was initially going to be a Greg Koch special - a fizzy yellow beer until I caught some. unexpected lees and it turned cloudy on me. I had a finger of rocky bone-white head with very good retention in the creeping humidity this evening. Color went from a golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity to a hazy orangish-yellow in just a millisecond. Depending on how clear you want your beer, a gentle pour may be in order. The nose had a pronounced peppery odor, thanks to the coriander, but I could swear that I also caught some salt spray in there. Salt & pepper - what a novel concept! Mouthfeel was full and brisk and it tasted like the lemon pepper seasoning that I like to put on fish. To say that the finish was dry would be like saying that the "Mona Lisa" is a painting. This was alum dry! You could pour this on electronic components in lieu of dessicant in terms of its dryness. Arid Extra Dry had nothing on how dry this beer finished. I think that I would now like to drink a beer.

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%

3.92/5  rDev +0.5%

Served in a Hirter stange.

Pours a very hazy lemon straw with a fairly thick white foamy head that disappears almost entirely after a minute or so. The smell is heavy on the lemon, with dashes of cracked pepper, salt, and very subtle hops. The taste generally follows the nose, with the coriander hiking up the lemony flavor, pushing the pepper to the back, and nearly drowning out the hops' bitterness. In the end, a general saltiness coming through on the back and sides of the tongue. This overall fruitiness and spiciness makes for a pretty distinctive tasting. That, coupled with a generously medium body and low ABV, makes for a nicely drinkable brew.

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

4.03/5  rDev +3.3%

This is pretty crazy beer, I've had Scott Smith's Here it Gose Again...East End brewed gose. This will be my first German brewed authentic version, pours a deep yellow orange golden cloudy color with a bright white head. Label calls it a beer brewed with coriander and salt. Fine lacing left behind between sips beautiful looking brew. Aroma at first was bit sulfurous with a brisk wind of sea salt and lemon peel citrus blends with coriander spice. Flavor is impressive, really unique great tasting beer I'm glad I finally gave this a try. Every time I had seen it before it was in a crazy shaped flip top bottle with a pretty high price tag. This 11.2 oz brown bottle for 3 something a bottle seemed much more fair for never having a real version of this stuff. Spicy coriander flows with tart lemon flavor perfect German wheat beer with a hint of salt, not salty you can more or less get the mineral aspect. Mouthfeel is light bodied super effervescent CO2 on the high end. Really interesting unique beer that I will be revisiting in the future...excellent stuff.

4.13/5  rDev +5.9%

On tap at the Farmers' Cabinet served in a sort of hex-shaped pint glass. This brew appears a cloudy straw yellow color with a finger plus of white froth. The cap retains fairly well. As it slowly recedes, it leaves spots and finger-like patterns of lace sticking to the glass.

The smell if this brew comes across minorly salty with a bit of a mineral feel to the aroma. More smells seem to be more and more like Berliner weisse with a mild lacto character mixed with lemon and a sweet smell of cereal grains and wheat. There is a fruited quality that comes out towards the backend.

The taste is tart and lemony with a hint if seasalt imparting some minor mineral flavoring. Some fruit like lemon zest and flesh mixes with cereal grain character providing a nice sweetness to counteract the overall tart character of the brew. Faint notes of coriander play in the background with some lemon oily character and a touch of orange.

This is a super easy drinking brew that is tart and refreshing. A modest level of carbonation provides a nice tingle on the tongue. This is light bodied and an awesome take on the style. The alcohol is well hidden for nearly 5%. I haven't had many Gose offerings but this one is by far my favorite to date. Subtle salt addition with pleasant tartness. Very similar to the Berliner weisse style but with a bit of a twist.

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

3.25/5  rDev -16.7%

4.12/5  rDev +5.6%

Well damnit if I’'m not glad I bought this last bottle at Eagle Provisions when it was there.

Pours a clouded amber gold. Nose is yeasty and citrus. Flavor is yeasty, slightly wheat-y and leaves a long citric flavor on the tongue. It seems like a cross between a Belgian brew and a German. Quite interesting really. Definite spice influence, though I have to admit that my palate for spices is immature, so I can’t pick them out as I should be able to. On the mouth it is low in carbonation but slightly thick in ingredients. Extremely drinkable. Like I said, this was the last bottle to be had where I bought it. If you see it, go for it.

3.8/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured from the bottle into a wheat ale glass. Getting my Gose-UH on.. oh yeah.

A foamy large head of about three fingers which falls at a good clip, slightly off white in color, stryofoam looking. Body is cloudy gold looking with faint dark muddy brown edges. Cola like bubbles stick to the sides, and some faint rising carbonation.

Nose is a good bit of chewy malt wheat, very faint clean lemon, even slight briny sense.

Taste is interesting. Clean refreshing lemon light sense, almost soda like, but a refreshing light tangy feel. Very light bodied but with a playful apricot finish.

Overall quite a refreshing drink, bordering on apricot soda, and malt refreshment. Quite nice.

3.45/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured dark gold with a thick white bubbly head that soon almost completely vanished to a wisp.
The smell was thin - a touch of coriander and hints of other spices.
The taste was of coriander, and eventually some citrusy lemon and orange crept in, but remained fairly subdued. It was a bit watery. The salt was hardly noticeable, until a bite in the feel on the tongue.
The feel, overall, was thin - the salt gave a drying effect.
A curious drink - something a bit unique - but nothing that I, personally, was impressed with, or that I was particularly craving more of when I was finished.

3.47/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a New Glarus flute.

A: Hazy, pale golden

S: Mild lemony smell; some malt; not much going on

T: Mild sour and tartness; very little salt

M: Not overly carbonated, but a fair amount; a bit tangy

O: Nothing like I'm used to in the regards to Gose. Westbrook has perfected it in my opinion. This wasn't bad, but not great compared to what I've had. This could have been a bit old, as it was sitting in the cooler at my local haunt for several months. May revisit this with a fresh bottle.

3.66/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.97/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

My first "gose" ever...didn't even know what one was until I bought this bottle. Okay, so "gose" it is!
Appearance: cloudy pale orange color, with a thick, creamy white head. Nice, attractive.
Aroma: spicy, yet soft, with whiffs of fresh sea-foam like I'm detected in weizens, big with spice, and citrus, and so far I'm geared up for something like a hefe or a wit...
Taste: unusual! Dry, and mellow, with an initial sourness. Not at all like I was expecting after that nose, way too flat on the palate. Rather light-bodied, cool and mild, with a very soft finish. I think I can actually taste the salt, too, I get the merest taste of salt, without it being too salty.
Very drinkable, this, very, very, although I liked it, but it couldn't love it. I needed more of a kick in the flavor for that.
An intriguing style, rarely encountered, and quite easy to appreciate. If I'm ever in the mood for a mellow, dry brew that won't go and blow my mind, gose it is!

3.95/5  rDev +1.3%

4.15/5  rDev +6.4%

Thanks to John-Peter for bringing over a bottle of this brew. Served in a weizen glass.

A - Ridiculous foam that dissolves rather quickly and leaves negligible lacing. Slightly hazed golden straw color with an insane amount of bubbles rising to the top.

S - Salt, lacto sour, yeast, banana, coriander, lemon - it's like a spiced Berliner weiss. Really strong smell on this one. This is a really unique, and I don't have any other stylistic examples to compare it to.

T - The taste is much smoother, with lots of sweet banana, and tropical fruit. Malting the wheat takes out a lot of the sharpness, so there's only a little twang, and there's a touch of sour lemon to the flavor. Reminds me a little of Eric's Ale in a weird way.

M - Light, with surprisngly low carbonation (must go into the ridiculous foam), and a dry finish that leaves that too much candy feeling.

D - If the smell weren't so twangy this would be even more drinkable. Low alcohol and carbonation - very refreshing.

I'd highly recommend this for anyone who's into Berliner Weiss or peach lambic.

3.86/5  rDev -1%

Pours a hazy, maize color. 1/2 inch head of a white color. Good retention and poor lacing. Smells of wheat, slight tart malt, pale hops, citrus (lemon), slight pale malt, and hint of yeast. Fits the style of a Gose. Mouth feel is slightly smooth and crisp with an average carbonation level. There is also a noticeable tartness. Tastes of lemon, sweet malt, slight pale malt, hint of hops, and hint of wheat. I've never had a Gose before, but this seems to fit the description pretty well.

Leipziger Gose from Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof