Leipziger Gose | Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof

Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof
Germany
bayerischer-bahnhof.de

Style: Gose

This original Leipzig beer specialty lends us the name for our brewery. Gose is a regional beer specialty that was brought to Saxony-Anhalt in the year 1738. Originally Gose comes from Goslar, a small town in Lower Saxony, and the river “Gose” in this town. This beer specialty has a refreshing, slightly sour taste and is ideal for quenching your thirst. Gose is brewed with the additional ingredients lactic acid, cilantro, and salt. Gose is a top-fermented beer with 4.5% ABV and 10.8% wort. You can enjoy it in different variations.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-26-2003

3.9

3.98/5  rDev +2.1%

From a bottle, which the gose was served in a Chimay chalice.

Appearance is light orange with a short white head. This beer that I had been meaning to try for some time has a smell of straw, grain, lemon and green apples. Upon sipping this gose, I taste salt, wheat, acid, citrus, with tartness. Mouthfeel is easy going , a proper carbonation for the style. It really is a great quaffer for a warm day, albeit one that may cause you to pucker your lips.

3.83/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured into a Uerige stange. Pours a light yellow-orange amber. Fine white two finger head and active carbonation, resultiing in great retention and lacing. Aroma of faint sweet malt, coriander, strong mineral component, slightly sour. Flavor also has a dry, mineral component melded with light wheat, a hint of malt, slightly acidic lemon. Finishes dry with a suggestion of coriander and salt, somewhat sour. All flavors are light, but surprising amount of complexity for the low key taste components. Very light bodied, but nice carbonation. A very interesting, uncommon beer style that I'm glad I finally got to try.

2.78/5  rDev -28.7%

No freshness dating. The bottle is an 11.2 fl. oz. not the one shown in the picture.

A= The cap pulls a lot of the bottle with it causing some breakage when I open the beer. I sure hope there isn't glass in my beer. The color is a hazy orange with no head and it actually looks uncarbonated...

S= The smell is an odd mix of spices. A little lemon maybe with some corriander. Maybe a tad tart. I wanna say I can sort of smell a salt water taste but it may be placebo.

T= The taste definitally has a salt note to it as well as a tartness and coriander. Very interesting. The finish is very wheaty. Unfortunatly this is totally uncarbonated. Is this suppose to be flat? The impression I get is a sort of flavored salt water.

M= No carbonation....

O= This beer really gets my goat. The bottle broke when I opened it leaving me worried I might be drinking some glass and the beer itself was totally uncarbonated leaving a sort of gross drying mouth to it. THe salt levels kept me interested and the flavor was unique but I'm mad I paid for this. This was my first dabble with this style and it was uncarbonated and potentially glass filled.

4.25/5  rDev +9%

3.65/5  rDev -6.4%

330 mL bottle, no date.

cloudy pale yellow with brownish hues in color, with bone-white head that fades to nothing. aroma of mild lemon and herbal spice, and pale malt. taste has some wheat, lemon, a bit tart. dry finish, refreshing. body is thin and high carbonation. works though.

overall - my first Gose. nice, thirst quenching.

2.5/5  rDev -35.9%

3.14/5  rDev -19.5%

Poured a dull dark yellow with almost no head.

The smell is very malty and grainy.

The flavor is malt focused and a touch tart, the salt is there, but a mild. Very grainy flaavor and it a bit plain.

The mouthfeel is light and a touch dry.

A pretty average gose.

3.25/5  rDev -16.7%

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%

First ever Gose. Pale, hazy yellow body, not much in the way of a head or lacing. Very mild aroma, mostly lemony, with a touch of grainy, cracker malt. Vague peppery spiciness.

Flavor is also pretty mild, but nice, clean, a little tart, quite lemony, with a trace of the coriander and a bit of saltiness at the back of the tongue. Some moderate graininess and a very restrained sweetness.

Thinnish body with good carbonation. Crisp, dry, clean, and refreshing. Not super exciting or flavorful but a nice accompaniment to pizza to be sure. Would love to try more examples of this style but they are sadly quite difficult to find. This one was certainly nothing earthshattering, enjoyable yes, but not as interesting as a good Berliner Weiss.

Nice pale yellow shade with big fluffy white pillow as a head. Laces down nicely but the head doesn't stay as impressive as long as it might. Hazy, but not in a bad way; I'm pretty sure this is what this beer is supposed to look like. Definitely didn't turn me off with its looks by any means. Some great smells on it, lemony citrus (probably the coriander), a bit of bread, some malt and yeast. Good mix of smells that seem totally appropriate for the beer's appearance. Up until the taste point, this could be a couple different kinds of beers, but wow. Very unique flavor, citric, tart, and, yes, salty. I don't think you're supposed to taste the salt in these, but there just is no missing it. Feels very full on the mouth, stays lively with carbonation though. Overall, and absolute delight to drink. As it stands, I would only really want one, but on the other hand, I think I could totally get used to it if it was the beer that was all around my town. If you ever get the chance to try this beer and you haven't had it, I would highly recommend availing yourself of the experience.

3.53/5  rDev -9.5%

11.2 oz. bottle. Just showed up on the shelf. "fresh"

Mild carbonation. Murky blonde color. White head, tiny bubbles but won't hold. Smells spicy and of yeasty. lightly acidic smelling.

There is kind of a grapefruit-raspberry flavor, most likely coming from the coriander or yeast. - very interesting. Flavors in general are very unique (this is my first Gose). Salt content is surprisingly pleasant. body is medium-thick. Acidic but not tart on the tongue. I so-so like the flavor, but I find it's very refreshing.

Would like to try straight from the source.

4.12/5  rDev +5.6%

From a crazy shaped bottle to Portsmouth glass on 3/10/12
*From notes

A: It looks like a bubbly wheat beer. A bit cloudy and muddled. A good pour yields a minor .25 finger head.

S: Gefilte fish, with loads of salty wheat and whats comes across as seeded rye bread.

T: The salt hits upon contact and adds a refreshing quality to what is a delicious beer. The coriander reveals itself on the mid, and meshes with a German earth-like quality. The finish is a bit bready and grassy.

M: Extremely bubbly and very well put together.

O: What a great find. Leipziger's Gose is splendid drinking and if it wasn't so gosh darn expensive, something I could session night after night. Really, cases of this stuff would stock my fridge in mid-July.

As it stands though, this is a wonderful treat, and a style I hope to have more of sooner rather then later.

3.88/5  rDev -0.5%

Thanks to Rhettroactive for sharing this the other night. I believe this is my first of the style. It poured cloudy and pale, golden yellow in color. A thin white head barely covered the top.

In the aroma the wheat malt is definitely present with some sweeter, bready flavors. I get some salt and citrusy spice to it as well. Interesting but pretty refreshing aroma.

The salt is very apparent in the taste giving it a dry, saltiness throughout. I get a citrusy, coriander presence to it as well as more sweeter, wheat malts. Salt gave it a surprisingly refreshing quality when combined with the coriander citrus.

The mouthfeel is light with carbonation being high. Overall it was a very interesting and pretty good tasting beer. I thought the saltiness added a interesting and somewhat refreshing component to it. The citrus flavors worked well for it as well. I liked it.

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

3.73/5  rDev -4.4%

Pours a very clear amber color with 1/8 inch of white head that dissipates to an outer ring of the glass.

Smells of sweet and bready malt notes with a hint of herbal spice.

Very interesting flavor profile... starts off almost like a flanders red; kind of sour, vinegary note that fades into a crisp, clean malty and vaguely bitter finish.

Thin bodied with effervescent carbonation and a drying finish.

This is one easy drinking beer. It begs to be drank quickly the way it finishes on the palate. I wish I had a few more of these to session on the rest of the night.

1.5/5  rDev -61.5%