Leipziger Gose | Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof

Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof
Germany
bayerischer-bahnhof.de

Style: Gose

This original Leipzig beer specialty lends us the name for our brewery. Gose is a regional beer specialty that was brought to Saxony-Anhalt in the year 1738. Originally Gose comes from Goslar, a small town in Lower Saxony, and the river “Gose” in this town. This beer specialty has a refreshing, slightly sour taste and is ideal for quenching your thirst. Gose is brewed with the additional ingredients lactic acid, cilantro, and salt. Gose is a top-fermented beer with 4.5% ABV and 10.8% wort. You can enjoy it in different variations.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-26-2003

3.9

Gose pours a golden yellow color with a white head from an oddly shaped, long necked, 750 ml brown bottle with silkscreened art and a flip top cap that popped nicely when opened. There is a nice, light citrusy aroma and a touch of coriander. There is a very citrusy flavor that stands out the most to me. There is a touch of wheat in the end. Flavorful and a nice summer beer. I'm surprised more variants of this style aren't available.

Draft at Bayerischer Bahnhof

Cloudy golden body with a big fluffy white head.

Dirty wheat, a little coriander spice, and a citric edge.

Yummy. Easily drinkable. Citric flavor and bite. Really not all that tart. Salt and spice are well incorporated into the wheat beer. I always thought Gose would taste weird with the salt but it's a nice compliment.

Light and bubbly. Ends somewhat dry.

Pretty nice. I think it just got distribution in Texas. Hopefully it's just as delicious in bottle form when I get back.

From notes. The brew poured a dirty straw color with a 1.5 finger head that stuck around very well. The nose was slight lemoney tart with a bit of graineyness in there that was slightly offensive to me. The flavor was better than the nose. Grainey, slightly orangey and raisiney with a salty finish after swallowing the brew. Better than the nose told me. The feel was moderate with a moderate carbonation. I like the saltyness on the finish. Very unique twist to a brew. Overall, I think I will have to visit this one again. I have a second bottle that will definately help make my mind up. I didn't find this to be anything overly special, but something inside me says that it should be.

Editing. I'm chosing to edit the review as opposed to add a new one as I don't think the first bottle was as ok as it could be.

Nice 3 finger head that falls slowly to a very healthy coat. Hazy orange color. Nose is pretty nice. A lot going on in there. I get lemon-spritzed banans most prevalent. The flavor is still not as impressive as I would hope. I get a saltyness initially, moving to a grainey flavor, but not harsh, and finishing a light fig or raisin. The feel is a solid moderate with a moderate carbonation. Drinkability is a little better than I gave it before. It is a well rounded beer. I'd get it when looking for something different. Bumping it to a solid 4 all around

I'm pretty sure I reviewed this one at one point, but apparantly i'm mistaken. This is a rare beer as only a handful of breweries in one region of German even make it anymore! Anyway it's now widely available in the states, and although it is quite pricey ir is definately a nice taste experience. This is a light gold, off-white brew with a big head of white foam that dies quickly and leaves almost no lacing on my glass. Aromas are all coriander, and citrus, just like a classic wit or wheat, but it is spicy as well and it does not have a strong hefe-y sort of flavor to it. Taste is salty/sour and spicy with the nice wit notes in the mix as well. No real fruity banana or German yeasty esters show their head though! Mouthfeel is medium bodied and the finish is dry, drinkability is pretty nice. A real "one-of-a-kind" brew that I quite like, but don't drink often...It will be cool to sup this one in Germany at the source soon...

Leipziger Gose from Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof