Leipziger Gose | Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof

Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof
Germany
bayerischer-bahnhof.de

Style: Gose

This original Leipzig beer specialty lends us the name for our brewery. Gose is a regional beer specialty that was brought to Saxony-Anhalt in the year 1738. Originally Gose comes from Goslar, a small town in Lower Saxony, and the river “Gose” in this town. This beer specialty has a refreshing, slightly sour taste and is ideal for quenching your thirst. Gose is brewed with the additional ingredients lactic acid, cilantro, and salt. Gose is a top-fermented beer with 4.5% ABV and 10.8% wort. You can enjoy it in different variations.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-26-2003

3.9

2.79/5  rDev -28.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Photo of
2.9/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

16oz. bottle

Clear, golden color. Large, rocky, off-white head.

Aroma was of salt, juniper berries, apples and coriander.

Taste was very salty at first, a bit too much. This mellowed as you drank (or you got used to it). Crackery malt character. Bit of pepper and spice at the finish.

Light bodied. Light to medium in carbonation. Fairly refreshing. I was surprised by that after the initial saltiness.

Gald I tried it, but won't be back. I like salt, just not in my beer. This is one of those struggles where the brewer did exactly what they intended (so I read), but it just doesn't work for my taste.

2.96/5  rDev -24.1%

a - bright amber color, a bit more clear than expected, big two-inch foamy white head, good retention and lacing

s - lots of graniness and wheat on the nose with some spice and a little apricot along with hints of sea salt, smells a bit like vomit actually

t - fairly sweet with a bit of tangerine and apricot up front, mid-palate has lots of wheat and grain, finish is quite spicy with coriander and salt additions making a appearance, no alcohol evident

m - light-bodied, relatively high carbonation, well-balanced finish

d - fairly drinkable in that its easy on the palate and alcohol is not an issue, the spice and saltiness of the finish gets a little old for me

2.99/5  rDev -23.3%

Whoo hoo, a new style. Just two to go to drink them all. Can anyone help with the others?

A: Pours a pale piss yellow. Nice fluffy white head. Very good retention and lots of lace for such a light bodied brew.

S: Wheat, lemon grass, yeast, and a hint of warm piss.

T: No piss which is a good thing. Citric for sure, the wheat is there with a hint of yeasty bread.

M: Pretty light, crisp, and clean.

D: So So, not my favorite of styles.

This beer pours a clear, bubbly yellow with 1/2 inch head and no lace. The aroma is lemony with some wheat and hay. The flavor is mainly white grapes with very mild sweet malt and mile hoppiness. It becomes more champagne-like as it warms. It's mouthfeel is light medium and slightly dry. Gasthaus Leipziger Gose is a good beer, similar but not as tart as champagne. Recommended.

A little bland. Couldn't really taste the lacto.

This one is supposed to be a traditional Gose. The style was almost extinct from what I have read until a lot of the craft brew guys in the US have revitalized it. I have yet to try Westbrook but the Boulevard and Anderson Valley were really good, crisp and tart beers. This one is a bit different. Maybe this is why the style was going extinct? I will give it credit for being a more traditional version of this beer. But, honestly this beer smells like a sweaty sock. Color is very cloudy much like you would see in a wheat beer. The smell is almost like a moldy grain.

Head sticks around for a while and the color is golden and vary hazy. It looks like a wheat beer. Think Blue Moon or something in that vein.

Taste: Not much going on with this one. Not nearly as tart as the American versions, it does have that crispness, It almost tastes like a carbonated yet flat sweet cider but take out the tartness. I cannot for the life of me get a good description of this beer. It tastes unlike anything I have had before. It verges on something but I cannot quite get there with my palates memory. Its a bit tart, but not as tart as the American version's I have tried. Its really pretty bland in taste, maybe that is why I can't detect it. It really doesn't have much of any flavor of any kind.

Overall: I was interested in trying this one. I am thankful I just bought the one. It does not have a date on the bottle so I have no idea how old it is, but I doubt the store I purchased it from would allow it to stay very long considering its a low abv. beer. Would I buy this again, probably not considering there are others that are much better, to me anyway. Pretty boring beer for the price.

pint bottle poured into a weizen glass. pours a rusty gold color with three fingers of light tan head that remains for a couple minutes. no lacings.

aroma is lightly malty, with a bit of a sour base, along with a subtle salty feel that is dulled by a light spiced character. a unique mix of flavors, along with a nicely concentrated profile.

taste is thin in profile, with a lightly sour character and a base of salty caramel malts. the taste does not do the aroma justice in richness or breadth of flavors. a very light smoked flavor comes through after finishing, giving the brew a bit of body in the aftertaste.

mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with a thin and watery texture and a light bite from the mildly sour character. finishes thin with residual salt and light spice.

drinkability is decent. this is a unique brew, that could use more richness on the palate. the aroma is unique and nicely concentrated, along with a taste that falls short of anything special.

Light Gose, wouldn't have it again but not bad.

3.02/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Dirty ocean water. That's all

3.03/5  rDev -22.3%

Gasthaus Gose is a amber/yellow color with a modest white head that has little retention. The aroma reminds me of butter. The taste is lemony. I cannot taste the salt, which is odd because I'm on a low salt diet and crave salt. The feel is light bodied with good carbonation. Drinkability is fair: low taste and high price.

As the beer warms, I finally taste the salt, don't think it really adds much to the taste. If this is true to style, the Gose is not my cup of tea.

3.03/5  rDev -22.3%

My first Gose.

The beer pours a shade lighter than copper. The numerous carbonation bubbles rise to create an egg shell colored head that settles to a quarter inch in depth. Very rocky and foamy in content. No lacing.

Smells strongly of wheat with a slight lemon zest background. The scent comes off as neither faint nor strong, but stands moderate.

The salt is surely evident and cuts through the wheat and hides the lemon character I found pleasing in the nose. The salt and wheat battle for supremacy, but eventually the salt loses out and remains as a lingering aftertaste on the edges of my tongue.

The mouthfeel is light and fairly thin making it more drinkable, but the aforementioned salt taste results in thoughts of drinking beer brine, which I imagine would be displeasing. It is possible that this style simply creates a dissonance with my palate. I'll have to search out another as confirmation or try this again down the road. As a gose novice this is not what I would describe as an enjoyable tasting beer, but its fringe qualities are.

3.07/5  rDev -21.3%

this brew pours up a clear gold color with a big white fizzy head. the nose is pretty faint, light fruits, faint malts. the taste is salty, lemons, faint malts, easy drinking and refreshing. light bodied, low carbo. Would make a good sessioner. "I can finally afford a young crazy stripper wife!"

3.08/5  rDev -21%

A rather bland goze sour

Leipziger Gose from Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof