Berliner Style Weisse | Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof

Added by RblWthACoz on 05-29-2007

firstprev| 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next → last
Reviews: 196 | Ratings: 423
3.71/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured a cloudy golden yellow into my Berliner Style Weisse Glass. Poured with little to no head. Smelled very yeasty, but not unpleasant. Some citrus in the nose. If tart were a smell, I would describe it as that.

The beer was moderately carbonated. A slight sweetness on the front palate that was follow by a refreshing tartness on the mid to back palate. Reminds me of pink grapefruit. Reminisent of a flemish sour or, in the wine world, a sauvignon blanc.

4.1/5  rDev +11.1%

Served from a bottle into a tumbler-like glass.

A: pours hazy straw yellow with an effervescent 1 finger head that dissipates quickly, but still leaves a small ring.

S: lemon, tart wheat, maybe even a hint of other citrus (lime?)

T: orange/lemon tartness, crisp and refreshing. some graininess present, no apparent alcohol flavor. this definitely features the sour lemon although it is not overwhelming by any means. would be a great summer time drinker.

M: light, effervescent, thin, slightly sticky.

D: a very good drinker, very easy to drink and have several as it is low in alcohol. even for a light beer it packs enough interesting flavor to make it a good choice.

1.96/5  rDev -46.9%

I had the Festina in this style and I wanted to try one more in the style before I dismissed it. Got this in bottle from Piece Brewery, Chicago.

There is only one word to describe this beer: TART. I felt like I was drinking lemon juice. This was a very unpleasant beer. It didn't smell very nice, and taste sure followed the smell. Appearance was fine, as was the mouthfeel...but I couldn't even finish this drink. It left a sticky, sugary residue in me mouth that spoiled every drink and the food after this one for the rest of the night.

If this is the style, A+ for making a beer in that style. However, I now can decide that it's a terrible style. I do not recommend this beer.

3.83/5  rDev +3.8%

This beer is a not a great berliner in my opinion. The acidic tartness is present but it is toned down to the point where much of the wheat beer flavor is present and you can almost taste the hops. This makes it taste closer to a lager than a wheat. Overall this is a decent beer, looks really pretty, taste isn't bad by any means but I prefer a stronger sour taste. Still one of my favorite beer styles on a day like today.

3.86/5  rDev +4.6%

My first try with a Berliner Weiss so I thought I would review...

A - Poured a very cloudy, pale straw color. Small bright white head. dissipated fairly quickly.

S - Lemon dominates the aroma but overall I find it to be sort of muted. Perhaps a hint of a spicy hop aroma.

T - Wow, that's different. First sip was not very enjoyable. As a drink though I enjoy more. A lemony tartness is definitely the dominate flavor, much like the aroma. A strong wheat presence becomes apparent in the aftertaste. Overall it is enjoyable and tastes better to me the more I drink.

Mouthfeel - Nice medium-light mouthfeel. Not at all watery but not very heavy either. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability - If you don't mind a sour beer I think this is highly drinkable. Packs plenty of flavor for a low alcohol level beer. Certainly a new experience in beer for me. I'd been interested in trying a Berliner Weiss for some time and I would definitely recommend giving this a try.

3.37/5  rDev -8.7%

I was suprised by the sourness of this beer and the low ABV. It is almost like they increased the sourness to add that missing alcohol burn.

I must admit the low abv turned me off slightly as I've become used to the 8% and above style beers.

Overall, interesting, nice touch with the sourness, but not quite something I would get again. If they raised the abv and it had a smooth alcohol burn aftertaste I would probably get it again.

4.7/5  rDev +27.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Bought at Beertopia in Omaha, NE. I believe the quote made on it was, "It will make your back teeth curl." If I misquoted, to the employee, I apologize. To all of you, whatever the saying may have been, it definitely referred to the exceptional sourness of this beer.

By any means, my back teeth... they did curl.

Pours a pale, light straw colour. A tad hazy and a quickly dissipating white head. As it calms the head reduces and goes away entirely. It almost appears a dirty, brownish in colour as well when set under the light. It doesn't look like much, but looks can be deceiving.

The smell is quite light but has a dominant presence of lemons, a mineral tone, and dried grass. There is also a touch of sourness and wet hay.

Non of this really gives a lot of warning for the taste. The taste is big! Full of all sorts of great Berliner Weisse stuff. The taste of lemons is wonderful and not too much or too little or even too sweet. It hovers in the beginning and plunges down into the back. All the while you get a rush of wet hay, a bit of funk, some pepperiness, a fair amount of bright dirtiness/earthiness, I also get this very unique raw wheat taste that punches in really close to the end and slowly dissipates. At first the raw, even damp wheat grain taste is a bit of a shock but once you become a bit more accustom to it, it makes a lot of sense with the rest of the beer and really makes it interesting.

The mouthfeel is just as refreshing as I had hoped it to be. Crisp, a bit more sour than I had pictured it being, but thats good, and very dry. Not letting the sweet tones get in the way at all. Refreshing like no ones business.

Overall, I will buy this beer again. It is fabulous and I actually appreciate the low ABV. It makes it easy just to kick back and have a beer, with a GREAT deal of flavor and complexity, and still be able to go about doing stuff without feeling a bit fuzzy.

3.87/5  rDev +4.9%

I found this Berliner weisse refreshingly tart, with a pronounced wheat aftertaste.

I believe I smell something wheaty, without any discernible hop character. Slightly winey/fruity aroma.

Carbonation is decent, and very fine. More carbonation would be nice.

Color is like cloudy dry ginger ale, a but golden, but slightly brown. There's zero head 20 seconds post-pour, and almost no lacing or foam in the glass.

Taste is very crisp. Slightly spicy flavor, with some citrusy zing. Flavor is acidic, but not overly tart. Body is light, although there's slightly more mouthfeel than I was expecting.

Overall, this is an average wheat beer, which would be truly awesome on a hot day after a long bike ride. It's also one I wouldn't mind trying on draft. I wouldn't recommend seeking it out, but if you run across a bottle and like Berliner weisse, I'd give it a shot.

4.37/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

not much to look at...
not much to smell...
whoa where did all that flavor come from!!! Tart, lemon and honey, slightly medicinal
awesomely crisp and refreshing, so drinkable,
at three percent this is a fantastic session beer

3.5/5  rDev -5.1%

I was given two 12 ounce bottles of Bayerischer Bahnhof's Berliner Weiss by someone who "knew I liked wheat beers" but did not know that Berliner Weiss was special. Unfortunately I did not have any traditional flavorings available to add so both bottles were had straight-up in glasses.

True to the Berliner Weiss style, these beers tasted like a Weiss Beer and a Lambic mixed together. Kind of like a better and more born-that-way taste than a "Dirty Hoe" of Hoegaarden and Framboise.

An interesting beer that I'm glad that I had. However, I really wish I could have done it justice with some traditional flavorings added.

3.26/5  rDev -11.7%

Found this one for $5.99 and decided to give it a shot. Gave this a good pour into my tulip which resulted in a four finger egg shell head. The body was a light gold, one of the lighter bodies I have seen in a while, and I was suprised the body was so clear, it didn't look like a wheat beer.

The aroma was a little dissapointing for me. Only a faint tartness, and a little bit of fruitiness.

The taste had me feeling the same way. It was kind of tart, although there was not a lot of complexity or acidity. I wonder if this was just dosed with some food grade lactic acid.

This beer had good mouthfeel,lots of carbonation and was crisp on my pallette. Nice.

Berliner Style Weisse is highly drinkable, but it was definitely not worth the price tag and I was a little dissapointed. I am not sure what a classic example of the style should taste like as I have only had the Bruery's Hottenroth to compare this one too, but I prefer the Bruery's version much more than this one.

3.12/5  rDev -15.4%

Served to me in a large wine glass. Not sure if that is right, but...

A - Light, hazy golden yellow. About 2 finger thick of head. Decent lacing.

S - Malts, wheats, and citrus (mostly lemon).

T - Definitely citrusy, almost tart. Wheat and malts are present. Not what I expect from a hefe.

M - Carbonated, light body.

Overall, it is definitely a unique Hefe, but the ABV is oddly low. That makes it taste too much like a juice to me. One is enough and I'd probably pass on it the next time I saw it.

3.23/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Bottled 9/13/2012

Poured into a glass chalice.

It pours a murky, yellow-brown color - kind of like straw. There's one finger's worth of head and it disappears within seconds. No retention and no lacing whatsoever. There's citrus on the nose with some yeasty bread as well, but not much going on. The first thing that hits me is the carbonation which is very aggressive. Then the tartness hits me...it's very tart and the depth of flavour isn't quite there to balance it out or back it up. I find that i'm puckering more than i'm savoring it. There's some lemon and orange going on and overall, it's a refreshing berliner, but that's about all it has going for it. It's a one-trick pony and far from special.

3.68/5  rDev -0.3%

Appearance: Light yellow straw color, slight cloudiness. Thin head, dissipated in less than 5 minutes.
Smell: Slight wheat smell, no real citrus note to speak of.
Taste: Soft wheat, slight sourness, mild acidity. Citrus comes through in taste (lemony).
Mouthfeel: Also thin, clean. Nice, but not fantastic.
Drinkability: Refreshing, this would be great on a hot day. Not too sour.
I have had other Berliners and this one is pretty true to form. Overall, a delicious sour-ed slightly wheaty beer.

4.06/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Pours clear yellow with huge head. almost looks like a glass of champagne. minimal lacing.
Nose is earthy and farmhouse-like. Lemon notes and a bit meaty.
Smooth and light mouthfeel, that ends in a burst of carbonation.
Aggressive sourness gives way to a well-balanced yeasty weisse.
Finishes clean and crisp.
Very good beer. crushable, even though it is sour. solid summer choice.

2.35/5  rDev -36.3%

Pours a cloudy bland yellow with about an inch of head that quickly recedes and disappears.

Aroma of wheat and some kind of citrus. There's also a hint of corn in the smell.

Taste is...odd. Kind of like if you put lemon into a thin wheat beer. I can't say I hate it, but it tastes more like a weird cocktail than a beer. Honestly, the first taste was so strange that I almost rejoiced - "Yay, my first infected beer! A milestone in my beer geekdom!". Nope. Apparently, according to another review, this is how it's supposed to taste.

The aftertaste isn't enjoyable. It's like the aftertaste of tea with just a pinch too much lemon in it. Not

I don't think I'll have this one again. I might have a few sips of someone else's if they bought a bottle, just to revisit the bizarre flavor of this brew, but other than that I wouldn't want to venture another glass.

4.3/5  rDev +16.5%

A - Light Pale cloudiness with impressive white head which dissipated very quickly

S - Slight citrus aroma not too overpowering good combination

T - not citrus but more tart interestingly strange taste.

M - Light with some aftertaste but very smooth.

D - Wish I didn't give the other one away

2.71/5  rDev -26.6%

The Gose by this brewery is the best I had while in Leipzig. The Berliner Style Weisse is soured similarly to how the Gose is, which doesn't quite work for this style.

A: Yellow-straw with haze and little head retention. Color a bit dark for the style.

S: Here is where the beer starts to fall apart. The wortiness is heavy. A traditionally brewed Berliner Weisse is super-attenuated and highly carbonated. This beer smells unattenuated and sweet. The "funk" in the aroma is from their wort acidification technique, which isn't as "clean" as other Berliner Weisse styles. I always think of the now-shuttered Schultheiss brand as the pinnacle of Berliner Weisse brewing, even though it had more than just lactic acid in the beer, it was cleaner and crisper than this beer. There are lactic and acetic acids here, some sulfury notes from other bacteria gone wild and a lack of the typical saccharomyces and other yeast strains that "should" be there.

T: The aromatic deficiencies are mirrored in the flavor problems. The beer is sweet, a hint sour, and not particularly intriguing.

M: Not carbonated enough, not dry enough, and the body isn't light enough.

D: Fine if you are considering it a summer thirst quencher, but not a good rendition of a great and nearly dead beer style. The citizens of Berlin only have one offering in a city that consumed over a million hl of it at the turn of the 19th to the 20th Centuries. A shame.

4.45/5  rDev +20.6%

Poured a pale golden with a frothy white head. Aromas of granny smith apple, lemons and kinda bready. Tasted much the same. With a pleasant tartness. Light carbonation. Super refreshing and easy to drink. I could easily drink this all day long on any summer day.

4.5/5  rDev +22%

I believe this is the third commercial version
of this style of beer that I've tasted
(The other two being Kindl and one made
by Elysian of Seattle).

This is probably the least sour version
of this style that I've tasted:
the lactic sourness is fairly light.
Noticable, but light.

You can taste some sweet malt which balances
nicely with the sourness.

(I have a homebrewed version made by me last year which I'm tasting side-by-side with,
and mine is much more sour)

3.9/5  rDev +5.7%

Appearance: pale straw color with white head that quickly dissipates with some lacing.

Smell: tart and grainy

Taste: faint grainyness, slighty fruitynes, tart ( thought less than anticipated ). Finish is very dry

Mouthfeel: very light in body as expected with a 3 abv berry. The light body adds to the refreshing quality.

Drinkability: very drinkable. Could drink quite a few in one sitting, and with the low alcohol, not get in too deep.

Overall: very refereshing beer, great for a summer afternoon. That being said I still enjoyed the beer even thought its in the teens outside. Will drink the beer again.

firstprev| 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next → last