Brettanomyces Lambicus Berliner Style Weisse | Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof

Brettanomyces Lambicus Berliner Style WeisseBrettanomyces Lambicus Berliner Style Weisse
4.22/5

Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof
Germany
bayerischer-bahnhof.de

Style: Berliner Weissbier

Added by nickfl on 01-30-2011

4.64/5  rDev +10%

Served from tap to 11oz tulip at Tapestry in Philadelphia.

Smells like your typical Berliner Weiss. Innocent with a hint of citrus and wheat.

Taste blows me away. Sour, Tart lemon that puckers my cheeks, in a refreshing and give me more kind of way. Incredible.

This beer is perfect for almost everybody. A must buy if you see it.

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

3.72/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Cloudy dull yellow body, which after some thought, reminded me of pineapple juice. Bone-white head was several fingers' high on initial pour, but fizzled down to nothing after a minute or so, with no lacing to speak of.

S: Some barnyard and that funky sweetness, along with lemons and a bit of lactic notes.

T: Don't get as much brett in the taste, as the sourness is pretty strong. Very bright and tart.

M: Fairly strong carbonation all the way through, but it doesn't ever feel like it's in the way.

O: It was refreshing and easy to get down, but I felt that it was a bit one-noted, as the tartness dominated all other flavors in the taste. I think with a bit more age there will be a better balance.

4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

A: Pours a hazy lemon aid color with almost not head at all.  The little bit of head that fights to stay afloat as you pour doesn't last more than a second or two.  A steady stream of bubbles rises from the center of the glass and mesmerizes me as I stare at the glass.  No lacing at all.

S: Strong Brett up front creating a funky, farmy, earthy aroma that is extremely pleasant.  Citrusy as well, but it's somewhat muted that smells a little like lemon-lime soda.  Overall, the aroma is a little more subdued that I was expecting, but what's there is really, really nice.

T: The initial sip brings a pretty good punch of lemon tartness and a bit of vinegar that mellows only slightly with other sips.  Remains quite tart throughout the entire glass.  Brett comes out very nicely, again creating a nice funkiness with some grass and straw.  Finishes with some lemon zest and earth.

M: Medium bodied with a good bit of carbonation.  Quite tart and tingly on the tongue.  Finishes pretty dry.

D: An amazing sour berliner weisse that doesn't disappoint at all.  Very drinkable, yet, I want to sip smaller and smaller sips as the glass empties.  Extremely tasty and tart and an excellent little sour beer.  I'm going back to the beer store I saw these at in SC to clean them out tomorrow.  Fantastic!

3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

3.53/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Blue Monk in Buffalo, NY

Appearance. Hazy very light straw in color. Served with 2 fingers of head. Light enough to be almost luminescent.

Smell. Very clean sour, with lemon juice and heavy brett influence. Some very light bready malts in the background, white bread.

Taste. Starts off hugely sour, to a point where it cuts any other flavors out for a while. The sourness is beyond anything else that I have ever had before, except maybe those warheads that were popular amongst my friends as a child. The only thing to be said is that the this is a super clean, dry and refreshing sourness. After this initial wave there is a very nice, simple, clean shortbread-like malt presence that balances out the sourness. Brett presence throughout. Dry and crisp finish... refreshing.

Mouthfeel. Very thin in body with a moderate to high amount of carbonation. Overall the mouthfeel aids in the refreshment aspect of the beer.

I wouldn't want to bash this one for being overly sour, as it is a berliner weisse. I just wish is held on to the hint of malt that you get just before the finish.

4.12/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip.

A - Hazy golden yellow, very fluffy and fizzy white head that disappears quickly. No head lingers.

S - Belgian brett funk with a wheat backbone. One of the funkier Berliner Weisses that I've smelled.

T - Wow, a blast of sour. Real sour upfront, which I like luckily. The back allows some of that wheat and softer beer to come through making quite the contrast. I really like how sour this is, I can see how the Berliner in the background is lost a little, but I'm ok with it.

M - Lots of carbonation, to a fault really. If toned down a smidge, this beer would have been more drinkable. Though the initial sourness makes for a slow drinker. Soft mouthfeel though after the sour fades away.

O - Great berliner weisse, and I enjoyed it. I had this on tap and was amazed, and it's still just as good out of the bottle. If looking for a sour forward berliner weisse, this is perfect.

3.87/5  rDev -8.3%

11.2 oz bottle into a Schlenkerla glass--the .25L kind.

A: This is easily the most foamy beer I've ever cracked--filled this little glass entirely with foam at first, as this gushed like no other. Loud, big white head crackling away, fortunately settling quickly, on top of a somewhat hazy lemonade body--the most pale yellow body, just like the usual non-Brett version of this beer. Scads of carbonation bubbling up through the body.

S: Overwhelming nose reeks of sweat, salt, tang, rounded out with a nice hit of cheese. Lemony and funky, and not for the faint of heart. I adore funk, and this might be a bit much for me.

T: Still seltzer-like and thin like the regular, but the brett helps out. Very much like an Italian soda, which would depress me, if it weren't backed up by a cheesy horseblanket wallop.

M: As said earlier, seltzer-like and thin, very much like pop. A fair amount of suspended yeast might even be thickening the sensation a bit, but it's an easily quaffed beer, if not for the piss-covered horse blanket stuffed in your nose.

O: An improvement over the original, but maybe a bit too intense. I'm not sure I'm terribly qualified to judge perfectly to the style as I've had only a few examples, but this is good, and will teach you all about brett's various characteristics, because there isn't too much else distracting from it.

3.68/5  rDev -12.8%

a: light yellow in hue with plenty of clouds swirling around in the glass along with the brew. thick, tight head with larger bubbles...strong carbonation to this.

s: funky sour notes. Smells acidic to a degree. like flare went off in front of your nose. earthy notes...leather, wet hay. hints of citrus and banana at the end help remind you this is a wheat beer.

t: not nearly as hard to adjust to as the nose. nice sour notes make you pucker. sour milk/cheese up front really help to make the sweet earthy malts pop along with the nice crisp wheat filled finish. Mild fruit flavors in here (grape, apple, banana). Most wheats I've had at such low abv really just come in tasting like water, but the brett in here really has a hold on the flavors of the beer and make the pop out in the finish.

m: tons of carb makes this crisp. finished dry. very light body...and I can't emphasize the level of carbonation in this, especially once it hits your mouth.

o: the aroma was a bit hard to get past and made me not want to drink this, but I'm glad I did. Nice use of brett and it works very well in this wheat beer. Flavors really pop in this one and the crispness of this drink from all of the carbonation help make it one of the more unique beers I've had in a while.

Brettanomyces Lambicus Berliner Style Weisse from Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof