Goseator | Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof

Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof
Germany
bayerischer-bahnhof.de

Style: Doppelbock

Aged in Tequilla barrels for six months.

Added by UCLABrewN84 on 10-07-2012

1.41/5  rDev -56.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1

12.7 fl oz green glass (come on!) bottle with green standard pressure cap acquired at K&L wine in Hollywood and served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are low; this sounds terrible - "Double-Bock Ale Brewed with Spice and Matured in Tequila Oak Barrels". 8.5% ABV confirmed. Ingredients include coriander and salt. Product of Germany. I've been to this brewery before; that was the first place I tried Gose.

Served straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Not paired with food.

A: Pours a 5+ finger beige colour head of fair cream, fair thickness, and good (5+ minute) retention for the high ABV. Body colour is a transparent translucent vibrant pale yellow. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Generally appealing.

Sm: Lime, salt, pale malts, tequila, cilantro. Sweet Jesus that aroma is terrible. Like, fuck, that is unappealing. Fairly strong. What have I gotten myself into?

T: Salt. Tequila. Lime. It isn't great, but all the notes are genuine; they don't feel like artificial lime syrup or anything like that. I don't get any oak. Pale malts. Light funkiness. Boy, this is really bad. Some alcohol comes through. I don't get any yeast. Not at all balanced. Poorly built. I kind of want to vomit just drinking it. Bleh. I don't like this at all. I don't mind a good gose, but this is abhorrent.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Good carbonation. Decent thickness. Poor palate presence.

Dr: Man, this is bad. I'm gonna power through and avoid drain-pouring it, but it's really testing me. Hot damn. Not at all recommended. Please avoid at all costs. The worst beer I've had since Black Crown. I wanted to love this, but damn is it terrible. Maybe worth cooking with. Ugh. Really hard to drink.

F

1.5/5  rDev -53.8%

1.57/5  rDev -51.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Possibly the worst beer that I've ever had. If you like vomit, rancid grapefruit, and cheap tequila, this beer is for you!

Pours pale gold, with a bright white head. Aromas of rotting grapefruit, cheap tequila, vomit, and rubbing alcohol abound. The flavor starts off with a nice wave of sourness, followed by vomit, wood, cheap tequila, and artificial citrus. It honestly made me gag.

1.58/5  rDev -51.4%

375ml poured into Duvel tulip.
White frothy head. Hazed yellow body. Average carbonation level.

The smell is absolutely horrendous. Carbonated oaky tequila. Unbearable.

This is one of the few beer I literally can not physically drink. The smell is so off putting I kind of gag when I go to sip it. The tiniest sip is revolting. It tastes like if you made a Gose beer out of the water used to clean a tequila barrel.

I pureed it down the drain. Everyone else forced themselves to drink it.

Thankfully this sample was gifted to me. Looks are about all the beer has going for it. Quite expensive and discussing. Kind of a gimmicky beer with the salt of the Gose mixed with the tequila barrel. "Grossator"

1.89/5  rDev -41.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

An unfortunate/expensive choice from Bittercreek (Draft from the '15 FunkFest)... I knew better.. Why did I bite? Tickers gone tick. :-)

Fairly clear amber brew... Nose is agave and perfumy oak... Stewed fruit... Terrible. Flavor is the same but with an unexpected hot garbage wretch in the middle.. thick apricot and caramel malt with agave and bad tequila.. Thick with little carbonation triggers my gag reflex just thinking about it..

No redeeming qualities.

3.25/2.25/1.5/2/1.75

2.16/5  rDev -33.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

It unfortunately had zero carbonation. I did taste it and tried to drink a bit as I paid $12.95 for this 11.2 oz bottle. It was lighter bodied than a typical dopplebock, there was an aroma that did remind me of tequila. Without carbonation however it was not drinkable.

2.25/5  rDev -30.8%

2.39/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

2.39/5  rDev -26.5%

From 12/29/12 notes. Thanks to nimbleprop for sharing this one. 375ml bottle.

a - Pours a hazy deep yellow color with one inch of white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of nail polish, tequila, salt, spice, yeast, some oak, and some peppers. Not good; smells a little bit like solvent and tequila with light fruit and salt.

t - Tastes of tequila, oak, bread, salt, spices, peppers, yeast, some fruit, and something weird like mint or floral notes. Worse than the nose, alcohol/solvent is stronger.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation. Heat from the tequila; not very good.

o - Overall I thought this one was pretty gross. A tequila/alcoholic mess with peppers and spice to it too, no reason to seek this one out other than the novelty of a tequila BA gose.

2.55/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

2.65/5  rDev -18.5%

2.71/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

2.75/5  rDev -15.4%

2.75/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.98/5  rDev -8.3%

12.7 oz. green bottle with a green cap and a plain small white label. The label just has the brewery's usual label of a German man with a Pilsner glass full of beer while he's sneezing Batman style. Right below that is where they tell you that it's a Doppelbock aged in Tequila barrels. The only other stuff on the label is the mandatory US info.

I poured this barrel aged Doppelbock into a non discreet Pilsner glass. Out of the bottle came a muddy water brown/orange like colored beer. From the looks of the beer, it looks like the brewery drained a swamp and put the left over water in the bottle. If it wasn't for the 1/4 of an inch paper white head of foam, I would have thought that this was swamp water. This head of foam had acceptable retention that left behind a good sized string of rings along the side. This beer isn't eye candy. Hopefully it doesn't taste like it looks.

If you know what a good Doppelbock smells like, take that idea and throw it out the window. This beer smells nothing like that. If wasn't an offensive smell. It was just weird and not in a good way. It had an aroma that reminded me of orange juice. It was on the citrusy side. Behind the orange juice was a dash of salt, a splash of spearmint, a subtle hint of oak, and a gentle whiff of tequila. I thought the tequila would take over the aroma and run with it. Not this bottle. Too citrusy and weird for my nose.

This is one of those beers where it tasted like it smelled. There wasn't much of a difference between the two. Up front was the citrus. It didn't taste like orange juice. Following the citrus flavor was a pinch of salt and a soft taste of oak and tequila. Like a tidal wave, in comes the yeast. The yeast was the one that took over this beer. I thought the tequila would rise up and take some control, but ultimately it was the yeast that took over. Not enough Doppelbock flavors or tequila for that matter. More tequila and salt would have done this beer a little justice.

Despite this beer clocking in at a somewhat high 10.5% ABV (according to the label), this was a medium bodied beer with yeast/citrus heavy aftertaste. This beer does mask the aftertaste. I'll give them that one.

I wasted a good deal of money on this weak Doppelbock. Even if this beer was labeled correctly as a Gose, it's still weak and overpriced. This is something I wouldn't waste money on again and I strongly suggest that you don't either. Don't be fooled by the aged in tequila barrels. Tequila isn't my beverage of choice, but I wish it made more of an appearance in this beer.

3.01/5  rDev -7.4%