Coopers Sparkling Ale | Coopers Brewery Limited

coopers.com.au

Style: English Pale Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-23-2002

1.37/5  rDev -61.5%

hazed up particle filled McGillicutty. Looks like apple juice, light copper, medium carbonation, no lacing, decent fizz head that dies rapidly. Uninviting to say the least.

Funny how this beer looks similair to how it actually tastes, apple juice. While not exactly there are some vine, wine like characteristics to this offering, with a light fruity, apple backer. Malts are a bit on the musky side, wet cardboard comes to mind. Hop presence is subtle but it helps.

Notes: Not for me fellas. I really enjoyed the stout from this brewery and the Vintage was ok, but this is giveaway material.

1.49/5  rDev -58.1%

Coopers Sparkling Ale pours a clear, gold color with no foam and tons of carbonation. The nose is lemon and wheat followed by a bitter, lemon, and vanilla flavor. It's got a thin mouthfeel, very dry, and leaves a bit of a burn in the back of the throat. This is way too bitter to drink more than one. Not recommended!

1.5/5  rDev -57.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

1.75/5  rDev -50.8%

Pours out carefully a chill-hazed golden color with a thin head that fizzles into absolutely nothing. Smells awfully watery with a faint scent of nutty malt. If the smell of malt was faint, the smell of hops is nearly non-existent. Flavor is watery with some pale malts in there somewhere and a kick of yeast and bittering hops in the finish. Mouthfeel is watery and too bubbly. I'm not into this.

2.03/5  rDev -43%

Maybe I am missing something here, but I am underwhelmed by this beer.

Poured into a Duval glass from a 375ml brown bottle, thought I had stopped before the sediment got out, but the brew was not a clear golden colour, more a dull copper, with no head to talk of.

Smell was non existant, not even dirty pants, or even fresh running spring water.

The taste, what taste? We are talking about fizzy water here, very unimpressed. Where the 5.8% comes from beats the hell out of me.

I have 3 more of these in my garage, I think my son is getting them for Christmas (he drinks anything, as long as it is crap).

2.07/5  rDev -41.9%

Turbid, funked-up, junked-up, butterscotchy orange that looks more solid than liquid. The beer contains such a load of dark, suspended bits that I'm half afraid to ingest it. On close inspection, the particles are falling at a snail's pace and are sure to be riled up again as soon as I take a drink. The head is singularly unimpressive. It's small, dirty white and flaccid. No lace.

Sparkling Ale smells like what it is, a yeasty pale ale that uses English hops (though which ones, I have no idea). The nose isn't all that hoppy and, in fact, it's pretty pedestrian as pale ale noses go. Strangely enough, the aroma seems to have faded as fast as the head. I can't smell much at all now.

Here goes. A small, tentative sip tells me that the beer isn't bad, as in spoiled. But neither is it good, as in... good. It has weak flavor and a weaker body. In fact, I'm having a hard time appreciating it as a pale ale at all. It's lightly malted, lightly hoppy and lightly bitter. Although I've never had any, it tastes like what I imagine cold, watered down hop tea would taste like. No thanks.

I'm pretty sure I didn't notice it at the time of purchase, but the cap has a price sticker of $2.99 on it! I wouldn't pay 99 cents for another bottle of this stuff. I was going to say that I've now had an Australian beer that beats Fosters (no mean feat, I know), but now I'm not so sure. This beer from Down Under will now go down under my kitchen sink as it splashes down the drain.

2.08/5  rDev -41.6%

Hazy gold color with a thin, thin, white head. Head has macro-like modesty and quickly disappears leaving impotent retention. Not a single smudge of lace. I decanted this.

Aroma is yeast, and sparkling white grape juice. My mom used to buy me "Kid's Champagne" for Thanksgiving and New Years when I was too young to drink. This is like a yeasty over 21 version of that. Taste is, again, Kid's Chapagne with a English hop lump in back. It tastes as unappealing as it sounds.

Mouthfeel is indeed sparkling which I guess is the point. But it's also thin and husky. Not a fan.

Drainpour. I'll give it a 1.5 instead of a 1 because though I did drainpour it, I made it through most of the bottle first.

2.09/5  rDev -41.3%

330 mL brown bottle

Straw yellow brew full of suspended yeast particles. Fizzy head that disappears in seconds.

Aroma is faintly grainy and stale.

Not much going on here. Grainy brew with a bit of malt sweetness and some indistinct hop bitterness towards the end. Faint sour apple notes are also present. Body is on the thin side with moderate carbonation.

Very unappetizing beer with a flavour similar to your average macro.

2.18/5  rDev -38.8%

12.7 oz bottle
I have to admit that I usually am not bothered by yeast sediment in bottle-conditioned beers, but this one was a little over the edge. The color of the beer was a faded gold, but the massively thick sediments were too overpowering. It looks like sawdust floating! The aroma was pretty simple with a wheaty citrus smell.
Now for the taste....
It came off very flat tasting. To think about it, this is as far from anything I would consider to be "sparkling". As I was sipping, I could not get over the appearance of this one. So I have no option but to say that this was on my "worst list"

2.2/5  rDev -38.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1

In a thinly veiled attempt to bump my countries reviewed stats up a notch, it's Coopers Sparkling Ale time. I hope it's better than I remember.

Bought refrigerated at a Summerhill LCBO in Toronto, kept refrigerated since then, and with a best before date somewhere in 2011.

A careful pour leaves the lees behind in the bottle resulting in a nice, clear, golden orange ale with a thin, nicely retaining head. Minimal head retention. Zero lacing.

Smells mildly skunked, and I get more of a Belgian pale ale than an English pale ale from the aroma. Hints of lemongrass and sweetly toasted malt and some earthy hops

Same for the taste. The yeast dominates and imparts more of a Beligain aspect than anything English. There's something fruity and appley and waxy about it. Finishes dry.

The carbonation level is high and keeps things light and spritzy and might almost be a blessing in how it detracts from the taste.

Yeah. Turns out, two or so years later I still don't like this. I don't think I'll ever come back to it for any reason.

2.26/5  rDev -36.5%

Bottle: Poured a bright clear golden color ale with a medium foamy head with good retention and minimal lacing. Aroma of dry cereal with light lingering sweetness. Taste is also dominated by some unrefined malt notes and light sweetness with a dry finish with no discernible hops. Body is about average with good carbonation. Nothing to write home about at the end of the day with a sub-standard malt bill.

2.31/5  rDev -35.1%

Best before date 03.06.06.

Beer's appearance is almost like a hefeweizen, golden and cloudy. Haven't seen that much bottom fermentation since my own hoembrew.

Aroma is light a clean. If that's wheat malt I smell why don't they just call it Aussie hefe? But it's good, it's good.

Doesn't taste like a hefe, however. In fact it doesn't taste like much of anything. It's light, there's some malt, but otherwise...bleh. Finishes clean enough, but there was nothing there to begin with. Cost is just too prohibitive to employ this as a quaffer.

2.34/5  rDev -34.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

weak, watery, bright and musty nose, taste of old stale hops and a bittter after tasteweak, watery, bright and musty nose, taste of old stale hops and a bittter after tasteweak, watery, bright and musty nose, taste of old stale hops and a bittter after tasteweak, watery, bright and musty nose, taste of old stale hops and a bittter after tasteweak, watery, bright and musty nose, taste of old stale hops and a bittter after taste

2.36/5  rDev -33.7%

Reviewed 6/29/2007 (12.7oz bottle @ Outback):

Pours a cloudy orangish colored body, with some non-moving bubbles, frozen in place it seems. Has some head, diminshing. Has a very malty aroma, not hoppy or very ale-ish. Malty & lagerish, clean taste. Not very much taste, plain.

2.48/5  rDev -30.3%

Ah oh, a sparkling ale? WTF is that? Guess I’ll find out, the hard way.

Pour is ok, hazy straw yellow, small and quick dying white head. But the aroma and taste of sweetish lemon sugar cane is kinda tough to get through. Seems more like an alcopop than beer, certainly not an English PA.

The sticky sweetness lingers in the finish, I wouldn’t go back for anymore of these Sweet-tart bombs.

2.49/5  rDev -30.1%

Pours a murky, pale orange colour, with very bubbly white head. Some lacing on the glass and ok head retention. Smells of bready malt, hops, metal and cooked vegetables. Mild bitterness in the flavour, but some off flavours as well. More carbonation than I'd like in an pale ale. I don't know if freshness is the issue here, but it says best before May 2012 on the bottle and it was kept in the fridge section at the Control Board in Ontario, so I have to imagine it was fresh.

2.5/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

more bread malts with a sharp honey and those Coopers yeasts.

Coopers Sparkling Ale from Coopers Brewery Limited