Coopers Sparkling Ale | Coopers Brewery Limited

Style: English Pale Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-23-2002

Reviews: 381 | Ratings: 622
1.37/5  rDev -61.5%

hazed up particle filled McGillicutty. Looks like apple juice, light copper, medium carbonation, no lacing, decent fizz head that dies rapidly. Uninviting to say the least.

Funny how this beer looks similair to how it actually tastes, apple juice. While not exactly there are some vine, wine like characteristics to this offering, with a light fruity, apple backer. Malts are a bit on the musky side, wet cardboard comes to mind. Hop presence is subtle but it helps.

Notes: Not for me fellas. I really enjoyed the stout from this brewery and the Vintage was ok, but this is giveaway material.

1.49/5  rDev -58.1%

Coopers Sparkling Ale pours a clear, gold color with no foam and tons of carbonation. The nose is lemon and wheat followed by a bitter, lemon, and vanilla flavor. It's got a thin mouthfeel, very dry, and leaves a bit of a burn in the back of the throat. This is way too bitter to drink more than one. Not recommended!

Pours out carefully a chill-hazed golden color with a thin head that fizzles into absolutely nothing. Smells awfully watery with a faint scent of nutty malt. If the smell of malt was faint, the smell of hops is nearly non-existent. Flavor is watery with some pale malts in there somewhere and a kick of yeast and bittering hops in the finish. Mouthfeel is watery and too bubbly. I'm not into this.

2.03/5  rDev -43%

Maybe I am missing something here, but I am underwhelmed by this beer.

Poured into a Duval glass from a 375ml brown bottle, thought I had stopped before the sediment got out, but the brew was not a clear golden colour, more a dull copper, with no head to talk of.

Smell was non existant, not even dirty pants, or even fresh running spring water.

The taste, what taste? We are talking about fizzy water here, very unimpressed. Where the 5.8% comes from beats the hell out of me.

I have 3 more of these in my garage, I think my son is getting them for Christmas (he drinks anything, as long as it is crap).

2.07/5  rDev -41.9%

Turbid, funked-up, junked-up, butterscotchy orange that looks more solid than liquid. The beer contains such a load of dark, suspended bits that I'm half afraid to ingest it. On close inspection, the particles are falling at a snail's pace and are sure to be riled up again as soon as I take a drink. The head is singularly unimpressive. It's small, dirty white and flaccid. No lace.

Sparkling Ale smells like what it is, a yeasty pale ale that uses English hops (though which ones, I have no idea). The nose isn't all that hoppy and, in fact, it's pretty pedestrian as pale ale noses go. Strangely enough, the aroma seems to have faded as fast as the head. I can't smell much at all now.

Here goes. A small, tentative sip tells me that the beer isn't bad, as in spoiled. But neither is it good, as in... good. It has weak flavor and a weaker body. In fact, I'm having a hard time appreciating it as a pale ale at all. It's lightly malted, lightly hoppy and lightly bitter. Although I've never had any, it tastes like what I imagine cold, watered down hop tea would taste like. No thanks.

I'm pretty sure I didn't notice it at the time of purchase, but the cap has a price sticker of $2.99 on it! I wouldn't pay 99 cents for another bottle of this stuff. I was going to say that I've now had an Australian beer that beats Fosters (no mean feat, I know), but now I'm not so sure. This beer from Down Under will now go down under my kitchen sink as it splashes down the drain.

2.08/5  rDev -41.6%

Hazy gold color with a thin, thin, white head. Head has macro-like modesty and quickly disappears leaving impotent retention. Not a single smudge of lace. I decanted this.

Aroma is yeast, and sparkling white grape juice. My mom used to buy me "Kid's Champagne" for Thanksgiving and New Years when I was too young to drink. This is like a yeasty over 21 version of that. Taste is, again, Kid's Chapagne with a English hop lump in back. It tastes as unappealing as it sounds.

Mouthfeel is indeed sparkling which I guess is the point. But it's also thin and husky. Not a fan.

Drainpour. I'll give it a 1.5 instead of a 1 because though I did drainpour it, I made it through most of the bottle first.

2.09/5  rDev -41.3%

330 mL brown bottle

Straw yellow brew full of suspended yeast particles. Fizzy head that disappears in seconds.

Aroma is faintly grainy and stale.

Not much going on here. Grainy brew with a bit of malt sweetness and some indistinct hop bitterness towards the end. Faint sour apple notes are also present. Body is on the thin side with moderate carbonation.

Very unappetizing beer with a flavour similar to your average macro.

2.18/5  rDev -38.8%

12.7 oz bottle
I have to admit that I usually am not bothered by yeast sediment in bottle-conditioned beers, but this one was a little over the edge. The color of the beer was a faded gold, but the massively thick sediments were too overpowering. It looks like sawdust floating! The aroma was pretty simple with a wheaty citrus smell.
Now for the taste....
It came off very flat tasting. To think about it, this is as far from anything I would consider to be "sparkling". As I was sipping, I could not get over the appearance of this one. So I have no option but to say that this was on my "worst list"

2.2/5  rDev -38.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1

In a thinly veiled attempt to bump my countries reviewed stats up a notch, it's Coopers Sparkling Ale time. I hope it's better than I remember.

Bought refrigerated at a Summerhill LCBO in Toronto, kept refrigerated since then, and with a best before date somewhere in 2011.

A careful pour leaves the lees behind in the bottle resulting in a nice, clear, golden orange ale with a thin, nicely retaining head. Minimal head retention. Zero lacing.

Smells mildly skunked, and I get more of a Belgian pale ale than an English pale ale from the aroma. Hints of lemongrass and sweetly toasted malt and some earthy hops

Same for the taste. The yeast dominates and imparts more of a Beligain aspect than anything English. There's something fruity and appley and waxy about it. Finishes dry.

The carbonation level is high and keeps things light and spritzy and might almost be a blessing in how it detracts from the taste.

Yeah. Turns out, two or so years later I still don't like this. I don't think I'll ever come back to it for any reason.

2.26/5  rDev -36.5%

Bottle: Poured a bright clear golden color ale with a medium foamy head with good retention and minimal lacing. Aroma of dry cereal with light lingering sweetness. Taste is also dominated by some unrefined malt notes and light sweetness with a dry finish with no discernible hops. Body is about average with good carbonation. Nothing to write home about at the end of the day with a sub-standard malt bill.

2.31/5  rDev -35.1%

Best before date 03.06.06.

Beer's appearance is almost like a hefeweizen, golden and cloudy. Haven't seen that much bottom fermentation since my own hoembrew.

Aroma is light a clean. If that's wheat malt I smell why don't they just call it Aussie hefe? But it's good, it's good.

Doesn't taste like a hefe, however. In fact it doesn't taste like much of anything. It's light, there's some malt, but otherwise...bleh. Finishes clean enough, but there was nothing there to begin with. Cost is just too prohibitive to employ this as a quaffer.

2.34/5  rDev -34.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

weak, watery, bright and musty nose, taste of old stale hops and a bittter after tasteweak, watery, bright and musty nose, taste of old stale hops and a bittter after tasteweak, watery, bright and musty nose, taste of old stale hops and a bittter after tasteweak, watery, bright and musty nose, taste of old stale hops and a bittter after tasteweak, watery, bright and musty nose, taste of old stale hops and a bittter after taste

2.36/5  rDev -33.7%

Reviewed 6/29/2007 (12.7oz bottle @ Outback):

Pours a cloudy orangish colored body, with some non-moving bubbles, frozen in place it seems. Has some head, diminshing. Has a very malty aroma, not hoppy or very ale-ish. Malty & lagerish, clean taste. Not very much taste, plain.

2.48/5  rDev -30.3%

Ah oh, a sparkling ale? WTF is that? Guess I’ll find out, the hard way.

Pour is ok, hazy straw yellow, small and quick dying white head. But the aroma and taste of sweetish lemon sugar cane is kinda tough to get through. Seems more like an alcopop than beer, certainly not an English PA.

The sticky sweetness lingers in the finish, I wouldn’t go back for anymore of these Sweet-tart bombs.

2.49/5  rDev -30.1%

Pours a murky, pale orange colour, with very bubbly white head. Some lacing on the glass and ok head retention. Smells of bready malt, hops, metal and cooked vegetables. Mild bitterness in the flavour, but some off flavours as well. More carbonation than I'd like in an pale ale. I don't know if freshness is the issue here, but it says best before May 2012 on the bottle and it was kept in the fridge section at the Control Board in Ontario, so I have to imagine it was fresh.

2.5/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Hazy yellow/gold color. Very small white head and no lacing to speak of. Lots of yeast floaties. Certainly does not sparkle in the appearance category. Smell of lemon and a grassyness that is somewhat musty. Taste is very underwhelming. Again i get a musty wet grass taste. Some very light maltyness but really very thin in taste and body. Some bitterness to the finish but not that nice hops bitterness that makes you want to come back for more. It's more of a stale old hops taste. Nothing about this makes me want to try it again. A below average offering.

2.52/5  rDev -29.2%

Pours as a hazy cloudy and transparent orange color with tons of sediment and absolutely no head whatsoever. Rather fizzy though, which is what it's supposed to be when it's sparkling.

Smells like a faint aroma of malt and hops with some fruit overtones. It isn't really appealing to me but might remind some of hefeweizzens. Tastes like a malted orange but isn't fizzy, which is surprising. Then again, I'm drinking an aged bottle (1 year in the cellar).

Mouthfeel - has some fizz but for some reason, it doesn't feel very good in my mouth. Drinkability is somewhat decent, but doesn't impress me very much. A bit below average but it isn't too horrible.

Overall, I wouldn't drink this beer regularly but might want to pull it out once a year or so, just for the novelty value.

2.52/5  rDev -29.2%

Picked this up from the Belmont in Portland, OR.

Pours a clear yellow with orange highlights. Fair amount of sediment in bottle. Develops a thin white head with no retention into a light collar. Smell is of belgium sugars and malt. Taste has a slight metallic hint and is watery. A sour, skunky aftertaste is present. Thin and simple texture. Not much flavor to this beer so would pass on the oppurtunity to try again.

2.54/5  rDev -28.7%

Cloudy light brown / caramel in the glass - looks inviting. Nose is a little sudued but has some fruity, slightly sweet notes. Good mouthfeel, a little plain in the flaour stakes but finishes ok with some mild hoppiness and bitterness. Needs a bit more omph to be really interesting. Had the Pale Ale last night and for once probably showed better than the red label.

2.56/5  rDev -28.1%

Appearance
This beer contains a hefty amount of sediment which is easily disturbed. According to an Australian colleague, it is customary to 'roll' the bottle to evenly spread the sediment across the whole liquid. This beer is very visibly carbonated, hazy golden in colour and with visible bits of yeast sediment distributed throughout the liquid. Forms a thin bright white head which clings to the glass.

Smell
Sweet malts, grassy notes and hints of citrus fruit

Taste
Quite a thin and watery and lacking in any significant taste. Noticeable acidity due to the carbonation and some light sweetness through to a slight bitterness in the finish. The sediment adds a yeasty taste to the mix.

Mouthfeel
Well carbonated, the carbonation dominates the mouthfeel initially. Thin body.

Drinkability
Not really for me. In a hot climate, this would be okay to drink for refreshment but I found it lacking in taste.

2.59/5  rDev -27.2%

Above average appearance - dark orange - chunky bottom (unfiltered solids settle out). Overall above average appearance - like you are drinking a slurry of goodies. Swirling it mixes everything together - especially towards the bottom.

Smell - fruity not too striking.

Taste and mouthfeel - At first I thought the sparkling name was a misnomer however after a few swallows you definitely notice the carbonation. Taste however is limited - betwix a lager and wheat with extra bubbles.

Drinkability - Definitely a drinkable beer but rather unremarkable other than the carbonation. Can't say I would pick it out of a crowd. The last drink is definitely the best (i.e. with the sediments).

2.61/5  rDev -26.7%

This beer looks bad. It's a relatively light fizzy beer with basically no head besides a few stray bubbles that are clinging on for dear life. The bigger problem is that it looks like a failed sea monkey farm in a crappy pilsner. Ok, that's a bit harsh, but I like thick, funky beers with even more sediment and I still don't like this look. The sediment is somehow off-putting in such a soda-ish beer.

It smells just fine. It smells like a hops a bit but rather generic and unimpressive. There's nothing really wrong with the smell. It's just not much of a selling point.

The beer also tastes fine, but I'm marking it down a bit because there's very little need for another unimpressive pale ale. It's weak. It critically lacks in hoppy flavor for a pale ale. It's just a fizzy, mediocre beer.

The mouthfeel is really poor. It's sort of watery. There's very little body. I guess it's somewhat drinkable because it's watery. I could drink a lot of them if it was the only thing available. It's not sour. It beats a lot of American macros by a tad, but I'd probably switch over at some point if somehow that was the night.

2.61/5  rDev -26.7%

A - Clear with floaties due to a bad pour. (My fault though, not the beer). Really pale yellow/straw colour with constant rising bubbles. I guess it's supposed to be a sparkling wine-type similarity.

S - A bit of a yeasty smell. Honey-like smell with citrus.

T - Little bit of bitterness. No sweetness to speak of. Some lemony cirtrus, but lackluster overall. Mild bitter aftertaste, but it sticks around forever.

M - Slightly syrupy. Carbonation is (thankfully) much lighter than expected. Drying finish but with a wield tongue-numbing feel.

D - Disappointing. Better than most macros, but certainly not something I would buy again.

2.62/5  rDev -26.4%

12 ounce bottle - $1.99 at Total Wine & More in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours a dark, dull orange-hued body gunked up with more than a fair share of over-sized particulate matter. Thin, white head. Now I wish I hadn't taken a good look at it.

Smell: Mixed bag aroma smelling of fruit, watered down honey, and a dash of alcohol.

Taste: Lightly biscuity maltiness with a light, honeyish sweetness. A big sip of spring water (filled with particulate matter) follows. Fruity tastes of yellow apples and lemons. Spicy hop character with a medium-low bitterness. Slight souring yeastiness. Some juicy acidity on the dry, crisp finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium-high carbonation. Yes, it's even a bit sparkling.

Drinkability: After the deficient appearance, I really took my time with this brew to see if it could redeem itself. It never did. Sour and a bit watery, I just didn't care for it.

2.63/5  rDev -26.1%

At outback steakhouse, I wasn't expecting anything decent for beer selection, but I was happy to see an Australian made ale on the menu. Waitress was actually pretty knowledgeable and "warned" me that the yeast sediment is normal and in fact tasty. Well, I wasn't expecting much so I made sure to disturb the yeast sediment to squeeze as much flavor out of this bottle I possibly could. Into a frosted pint, (typical chain restaurant) this ale is cloudy pale with a thin head. Yeast clouds this beer up, but there is some clumpy brown yeast chunks that sink to the bottom that aren't too pleasing.

Aroma is very strange. It has a clear cleaning product character to it, which is weird. It's exactly like oxyclean. Yeast character is very plain and characterless. It smells like the yeast at the bottom of the fermenter of a batch where yeast wasn't supposed to have any role or character in the beer. As it warms up, there is a slight citric hop shining through.

Flavor is just plain, and doesn't have much character to it. Plain bitterness from hops and toasty, grainy malt flavor that is pretty plain. Mouthfeel is light with a tickling carbonation.

This is one of those beers that fits only because it's Australian and I'm at an Australian themed restaurant (think Peroni at an Italian place). I'll say that if you aren't expecting much and you appreciate trying to match your beers that way, this isn't an awful beer. As far as reviewing it as an English Pale, I can't recommend it.

Coopers Sparkling Ale from Coopers Brewery Limited