Coopers Sparkling Ale | Coopers Brewery Limited

Coopers Brewery Limited

Style: English Pale Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-23-2002

Reviews: 382 | Ratings: 625

i didn't know if i was supposed to include the yeast sediment in the pour, so i did. the resultant appearance was an appetizingly hazy and burnished bronze, with some floating bits of yeast. the aromas were like a subdued hefe, with light banana and citrus overtones (no clove, of course). smooth mouthfeel, with wheaty malt flavors, pear flavors, and some mellow banana and citrus coming through on the palate. this is a nicely textured beer, and a nice change of pace from the hop monsters i've been hooked on lately. sometimes an austere flavor profile can be just as satisfying as a hugely flavored beer's less subtle flavors, and that certainly holds true for coopers sparkling ale.

4.18/5  rDev +17.4%

Appearance- Dark straw colour, lots of bubbles and a quickly dissipating head the yeast gives the beer a cloudy appearance, looks good to me!

Smell- Orangey yeast smell, not unpleasant.

Taste- Nice bitter taste, tangy and citrusy, very refreshing and moreish. Its long and

lip-smacking, a lovely tasting beer.

Mouthfeel- Very filling and creamy lots of bubbles.

Overall- This is a very nice looking /tasting Sparkling Ale it's bottle fermented (like all Coopers) so that you get yeast floating around in your beer, I have to admit to being a big fan of this beer and can't recommend it enough, good stuff.

3.78/5  rDev +6.2%

Bottle conditioned

Appearance - Pale Golden Straw colour. Good clarity. Medium carbonation and moderate head retention.

Smell - Mild hop, yeast, strong floral and orange smell

Taste - Mild malt & hop flavour with light bitter finish.

Mouthfeel - Smooth with crisp zingy carbonation

Drinkability - Good beer. Very drinkable with no over powering flavors. Very light, a good summer or session beer.

3.3/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This pours an amber to marmalade orange. It is fairly cloudy due to the bottle conditioning – the brewers suggest a couple of up and down tilts to mix up any sediment. A white porous head forms fairly thickly if not poured slowly and steadily – remember this is “sparkling” ale.

There isn’t a strong smell coming through the head following pouring. There is a sense of yeast, due to the fact that Coopers Sparkling Ale is bottle conditioned.

There is a lot of malt (not too sweet though) coming through from the initial taste. There is a light lemon zest citrus mouth freshener as well on the full taste. The taste is rounded out with a medium to strong hoppy bitterness. You can also get a sense of the high alcohol content for this particular beer style. It almost feels like that it has got too strong for its flavour combinations.

Quite a lot of carbonation in this drop which is stereotypical of many Aussie brews.

3.7/5  rDev +3.9%

I like this beer.

It looks funny, it smells funny, it tastes funny.. it is me in a bottle!

I grew up less than 100km where they make this stuff, and this was the beer than all of the locals aspired to drink and fall over with / from. Most of them didn't bother, as they preferred their trip to oblivion to be short, sediment free and inexpensive.

The secret of this beer, the thing that makes it really special is its finishing in the bottle. This means there is a lot of sediment in it. This often puts people off. I think this is a mistake. The world is full of filtered, tamed, predictable and bland beers. See above.

A beer with a yeasty sediment as this one has is so uncommon it should be embraced! Sought out! Bought and paid for yourself!

The taste and mouthfeel are good, if a little unusual. Southern hemisphere beers are designed to be chilled until your tongue sticks to the glass - they are for quaffing when the sun is beating down, or shortly thereafter. The citrusy character of this beer supports this well.

It is the sort of beer that can be imbibed all day IF it is kept cold, and you have a solid liver. 5.8% alcohol means that you will be seeing small fuchsia pachyderms early in the evening if you are not used to it...

If it warms up a bit to much, the excessive bitterness starts to break through, and it becomes a much less comfortable experience.

As with all sensory experiences, this one can be enhanced by engaging all areas of the limbic system. I remember one fine sunny day, sitting near the beach in Adelaide knocking a few of these back. The blond young lady I was with that day enjoyed this beer as much as I did. Our conversation was as sparkling as the very ale itself.

We laughed, we cryed, we belched.

Almost for this reason alone, I consider this beer something special.

Just one warning. If you ever find yourself with a choice of Coopers beers, and you see one with a green label, and one with a red label, shun the green labelled one.

It has already been through at least one goat...

2.88/5  rDev -19.1%

Never tried it, so I picked up a couple of 6 packs from the local beer store. I didn't realize it had all the sediment at the bottom, which kinda put me off it at first. Well, I've tried other beers with a little sediment and they were great....this one... well not so much. Poured into a glass with decent head and an orange amber color. On looking closer you can see all the gritty, mud-colored sediment. The smell isn't that great and neither is the taste. It had a malty, metallic, slightly musty taste, which I didn't find appealling at all. Needless to say, after a drain pour this one will never be bought again.

3.96/5  rDev +11.2%

A - Pours a pale hay-like golden hue with a lively effervensant fizz that forms a crop of refined head which quickly diminishes. Plenty of fine yeast granules floating about inside. Very nice looking brew

S - Bready and yeasty. Subtle hint of hops and citrus zest

T - Quite Interesting. Smooth and crisp maltiness up front that gives way to a nice bitterness in the finish. Perfectly balanced with a hop-tonic like quality that doesnt overpower.

M - Great feel. Big and Bready enough to remind me of a hefeweisse, but with the flavor profile of a balanced Pale.

D - Overall a wonderfully enjoyable beer and an extremely drinkable EPA. Well balanced but enough complexity to keep it interesting. I will certainly pick some of this up again.

4.13/5  rDev +16%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Served @ fridge temperature (seems appropriate, just look at that photo). Color was a cloudy, golden yellow and even reserving a fair amount of brew in the bottle, much sediment was in suspension. Smell was a touch malty, yeasty and citrusy. Taste was slighty hoppy, metalic and citrusy in the end. Mouthfeel suffers a bit with the floaties taking over the glass.

Overall a highly quaffable brew which I'll be undoubtablly be sessioning over the warm summer months, maybe just with a more careful pour next time.

3.73/5  rDev +4.8%

Served into a skinny pint glass at the Outback Steakhouse in Pinehurst, NC. This was my first time at the national chain and my first time with a Coopers. Waiter provided a chilled (gah!) glass with the bottle. I waited to see the freeze come off the glass and I then poured this deep golden bevvy into the provided glass. Slight haze and a gorgeous golden hue were revealed after a one finger stark white head settle.

Smelled a tinge of lemon... in a good way. Wet pretzel/freshly opened saltine sweet/yeast/alcoholness.

The alcohol taste component of this is that perfect balance that I remember in beer as a kid. The kind of alcoholic poison taste that results in ulitamte refreshment. Not boozy by any means, but certainly not lost. Very smooth all around with a perfect malty stick and clean hop finish.

Mouth is lively and very refreshing. This has all the crispness that I like in some of the Dutch Pils/Lagers yet they Dutchy stuff gets bitter and skunky when you pound. I could see myself enjoying the refreshment of these a few times over. Almost like Appolinaris with a gorgeous beer taste thrown in. And minus the sodium. Yeah, that sounds bad.. but I assure it's not.

To me, this is one of those genius brews. Whether the brewery knows people receive this stuff as such might be a surprise to them, but I love this kind of "easy drinking" beer that is simultaneously elegant. I could give this to my father and he wouldn't be like, "Tastes like vomit!" and I could give this to a beer geek friend and they could still pick it apart. A beer for all seasons I'd say and one I hope to run into again in the near future.

3.53/5  rDev -0.8%

Because of the mid range price point in S.E. Asia, this is one of my favorite old standbys. Sometimes think I get a fresher bottle or something, because there are times when it seems to taste damn near stellar. I hope someday Thailand catches on to the importance of refridgeration for most beers but until then we have to take our chances here with most beer we fork out plenty for because of the high taxation on import alcohol.

But all that is offtopic and my point is, this is a beer well worth trying if you haven't before. If you want something run of the mill to drink but still pretty nice and want to save a little bit, perhaps for a weekend craft beer splash out, then this beer is your man. All that despite it being a bit too gassy, at least for my tastes.

2.75/5  rDev -22.8%

Soft white to off white head begins at two and three quarters inches falling to one quarter of an inch within five minutes leaving no lace on the glass.

Hazy dirty gold in color. Large quantity of sediment entered glass despite careful pouring efforts.

Aroma was weak almost sterile smelling with a faint hop background that was very hard to detect and possibly a simple figment of the imagination.

Medium body with slow developing flavors. A clean, sterile tasting start fades into what seems somewhat like sour cherries. Possibly a result of yeast sediment making it into the glass. Finish is dry and hoppy.

4.42/5  rDev +24.2%

Appearance: Little head. Cloudy Golden/Orange (though could have been the light). Sediment at the bottom of the glass.
Smell: Little fruity. Wheat (like a Hef). No Hops in the smell.
Taste: Incredible. Sweet hops. Little orange flavor. Similar to a Hef. Freakin' loved this beer!
Drinkability: Very drinkable beer. I could've had a pitcher. Very smooth, kinda light but not watery. Held the carbonation perfectly. Went down easy and refreshing. I would absolutely buy and plan to drink this beer again.

Wow wow wee wow wow! I LOVED this beer from "down unda"! Makes sense I suppose - every Aussie I've met brags of their drinking ability. Their brewers ought to know what they're doing. Alright, back to the beer. Not only is it KOSHER (even has Hebrew on the side of the bottle), but I found sediment at the bottom of my glass! Some may knock a brewery for allowing a little sediment to creep into their production line. To me - I see that as a little extra flavor. And that "small batch" touch. All of my Home Brew has a little sediment at the bottom of the glass, and I know that packs a flavorful punch - as did this beer. I give this beer an A all the way! Enjoy it with a light meal or simply by itself.

3.51/5  rDev -1.4%

It looks practically opaque while being poured into a pint glass. This color is crazy, like melting orange juice concentrate. Little swirls and sediments dance inside the glass. I can smell strong citrus and peachiness even from a distance.

The taste favors orange, but it's not overpowering. Alcohol is present and a pleasant bitterness hits the sides of my mouth. ooh It lingers. "Authentic" is the first word I think of when I drink this. ...Whatever that means. Maybe a homebrewer can explain better.

One of several import beers from the Carrefour supermarket in Chiang Mai, Thailand that kept me from bitching daily about crap Thai beer. This review was with a bottle whose cap lost pressure on the airplane trip back to the States. Beer abuse, yes! But other than a loss of carbonation it still tastes as good as it did back in Thailand.

2.59/5  rDev -27.2%

Above average appearance - dark orange - chunky bottom (unfiltered solids settle out). Overall above average appearance - like you are drinking a slurry of goodies. Swirling it mixes everything together - especially towards the bottom.

Smell - fruity not too striking.

Taste and mouthfeel - At first I thought the sparkling name was a misnomer however after a few swallows you definitely notice the carbonation. Taste however is limited - betwix a lager and wheat with extra bubbles.

Drinkability - Definitely a drinkable beer but rather unremarkable other than the carbonation. Can't say I would pick it out of a crowd. The last drink is definitely the best (i.e. with the sediments).

3.48/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Aroma- grainy and grassy with some citrus undertone (7/12)

App- pale yellow, effervescent ale that is slightly hazy. Reminds me a little of champagne but not as clear. Head is white with bubbles that fizz and die down quickly. (2/3)

Flav- light lemon or apple with little bitterness. Fairly smooth. (15/20)

MF- champagne bubbles, crisp and dry. (4/5)

Overall - refreshing, balanced ale that is not filling. A good summer beer but I am not overwhelmed by it overall. (6/10)

Total (34/50)

4.82/5  rDev +35.4%

Really pours nice. Champagne in appearance. Bubbling like crazy off the bottom.

A - Pours thick and cloudy (inverted before opening) golden orange. Tons of carbonation, looks/behaves like champagne almost.

S - One word - Citrus,bready, yeasty notes .Inviting to drink.

T - Again citrus with a hoppy finish. Slight chalky after effects. Dry on the pallete

M - Hearty and 'sparkling'...

D - You will want more than one!

3.43/5  rDev -3.7%

A: Cloudy, looks to be bottle conditioned. Tons of bubbles rising throughout the entire pint.
S: Intense orange peel with a hint of yeasty malt presence.
T/M: Incredibly dry and bubbly. Slight sweetness and finishes almost like a budweiser. Tastes a little thin, maybe they use plain sugar to dry it out?
D: Crisp and refreshing with just a touch of sweetness and slight hop flavor aroma, you could put a few of these down on a nice hot day.

I bet this is delicious if you get it in Australia. Travels better than most beers, though.

Apperance: Poured from a bottle into my Lefebvre Hopus Glass. Pours a pale color a shade or two darker than a Pils, golden even. A bit cloudy from sediment to it being unfiltered and bottle conditioning. Nice fluffy head that is close to pure white. Even after 15+ minutes there is always a nice thin layer of head on this baby.

Aroma: a bit of yeast and a tad of malty sweetness with a healthy dose of bitterness & floral/spicy hops.

Mouthfeel: Between light and medium mouth-feel. lots of carbonation despite my decent-head promoting pour.

Taste: Moderately complex with yeast, slight malty-sweetness and fruit-like flavors prevalent (apples? citrus?) Spicy & floral hops definitely come out to finish but don't overwhelm. Alcohol is definitely there but not in strong-ale land.

Drinkability: Extremely drinkable and refreshing. I agree that it's light enough to be appreciated by most ordinary beer drinkers, but still has a complexity BA's will appreciate as well. It's a pretty balanced brew that comes out a little on the hoppy side, but again, not overwhelmingly.

Overall: A great EPA and definitely the best beer I've ever had with a twist-off cap. It might be something I'd give my typical lager drinking friends to try if wanting to introduce them to the world of ales. Yet, at the same time, it's delicious for me and possesses some subtle complexities to keep me interested and drinking more.

4.73/5  rDev +32.9%

okay, first of all, i would like to commend Diablo for some superb reviews of Australian beers, though i would differ on his review for Mountain Goat Hightail!

Indeed, Coopers Sparkling is one of the best standard beers on the market, it's great to see a 6 pack on special for $13.00! The alcohol content can hit you quick sometimes, though who cares! This beer is my standard and you'll usually find one when opening my fridge on any evening!

Dont be put off by other reviews, if you're travelling to Australia, stay away from Carlton, VB, Tooheys etc! This beer is what Australia is all about! Class

3.58/5  rDev +0.6%

I grabbed this brew at my favorite liquor store in an assorted six pack. It came in a 12 oz. bottle and was poured into a pint glass.

A: Cloudy. Light caramel in color. Off white fluffy foamy long lasting head. No prominent lacing to speak of.

S: Very nice light citrus smell with a hint of malt. Immediately following the pour it almost smelled floral.

T: I had some difficulties getting a good grasp of the taste of this beer. The best I can describe it is a very light citrus flavor. Not overpowering at all. Almost refreshing.

M: Light. Crisp. Medium carbonation. Sparkling up front with a smooth sweet finish.

O: A good beer for summertime drinking. Easy to drink. Goes down very smooth. Light.

3.67/5  rDev +3.1%

This beer caught my eye based on its label - seemed to have a classic "old fashioned look". Unfortunately I did not read the back of the bottle which talks about the sediment and I emptied the contents in to a glass far too quickly - mixing the sediment throughout.

This beer is very "hoppy", which is a person favourite of mine. Upon first glance in the glass, there doesn't appear to be much going on - rather flat looking. However, it is not flat at all. It has a good bite on the tongue.

There is a definite after taste of malt on the back of the tongue that lingers.

Although I would buy again, this will not be a regular buy for me.

4.14/5  rDev +16.3%

pours bright and golden from the bottle, with a decent amount of yeast trickling out with the last of the bottle. personally, i enjoy some of the yeast settled in the bottom of my beer, but usually not all of it. it basically boils down to personal preference. one can pour so as to leave all the settled yeast on the bottom, or enjoy all of its bready yeasty goodness in their brew by swirling the last dregs around in the bottle before pouring it in the glass.

Coopers Sparkling Ale is described as a golden english ale, but it reminds me more of a lighter Belgium blonde ale. i can definitely taste the crisp zing of bitter lemon and a hint of spiced hops, almost reminiscent of spiced apples. the yeast and malt balance each other out very well, hinting of fresh sourdough. a crisp mild bitterness lingers in the back of the tongue, accenting the overall characteristic of the beer.

while thin on the head, it does have a nice nose of lemon and yeast. again, i am reminded of my Belgium golden ales and tripels which have refermented in the bottle. that musky, spicy smell that makes my mouth water.

overall, a fine example of a blonde ale, or as Coopers calls it, a Sparkling Ale. semantics aside, it can sparkle in my glass any day.

4.33/5  rDev +21.6%

Six-pack x 12.7 fl. Oz. picked upon sale at Bottle King. Pours clear dark yellow/orange cloudy gold color with 3 finger solid head. Smell was pale, malts and minor hint of yeast. Very floral and grassy. Good carbonation and perfect balance of alcohol. I would buy this again and again.

4.7/5  rDev +32%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Well what can I say. I've come across this beer by accident , and I must say I'm already big fan of it. I am usually not big fan of those weed, yellowish looking ales I rather drink old plain lager, but this one was a nice suprise. The beer has very rich in flavor and you can feel the fullines in your mouth. It is sparkling as it claims, and of course you want to drink freshest as possible. And here is my only problem with it, it's hard to get even in those big liquor stores which sell beers from around the world. However when you look in right direction you can get yourself a nice setady suplly. Overall very good beer and great escape from regularity. you going to like this beer I certainly recomend this to anyone.

4.35/5  rDev +22.2%

Was looking for Sierra Nevada at Outback Steak House. They didn't have it. Tried a nut brown ale (Newcastle tried before) not my kind of beer. Saw Coopers Sparkling Ale and thought what the heck never tried a Autralian ale. Made a good decision. I like the extra carbonation on my tongue.

Coopers Sparkling Ale from Coopers Brewery Limited