Premium Lager | Coopers Brewery Limited

Style: Euro Pale Lager

Added by jarmby1711 on 03-27-2006

3.5/5  rDev +9.7%

2.17/5  rDev -32%

Pours gold with a small fading white head.
Nose shows hay, sweet light malt, vegetal characters and bready notes.
Similar flavours, more hay and sweet light malt with cooked vegetable notes. Needs some hop character.
Carbonation could really be higher.
Not great.

3.37/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

My liquor store in Edmonton recently got a bunch of Australian beers. While I like the idea, the six packs are really, really expensive. I decided to tear them open and sell them as singles and chose to be the first customer of this one here.

The bottle is cool, and the label looks almost a little shiny. It pours a very cool looking shade of yellow with a compelling orange glow to it - this is a shade I don't think I've encountered yet in any pale lager, but it's awesome to say the least. The aroma is faint and has a sweet, malty undertone to it. It's not the sort of smell that makes me say "damn!", but then again very few beers like this do.

The beer proclaims that it is "all malt", a term I don't see used much in Canada, so I googled it and found it means that it is brewed with only malt and hops and no adjuncts. I can tell - it doesn't have those corny tones to it that some lesser brews have. I'm sure "stralya" has its fair share of adjunct lagers crawling around, so it seems I've found a decent one. There is a definite sweetness coming from the grain which is balanced well by a hoppy subtlety on my tongue. There is a little of a bitter aftertaste when you start drinking it, but this goes away after a few sips.

Feel is solid - nicely carbonated and it feels like a cloud going down my throat when I drink it - cool to say the least.

It's a fine beer for sure. I don't know if it warrants a repeat purchase, but it's a decent sip on a hot day.

3.47/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Just drank straight out of the bottle.

As others have said it's a fairly standard lager similar to a Carlsberg.

Nothing substantial in the way of aroma.

Taste is balanced, but more malt than hops. Very low on the bitterness.

Mouthfeel is good. Does not linger very long, but a fair session beer.

Overall, I think you could drink a good 4-6 of these without much complaints. Not very complex, but a very drinkable lager.

3.75/5  rDev +17.6%

3.75/5  rDev +17.6%

2.83/5  rDev -11.3%

A: Pours a pale golden color with a small head that fades to no real lacing.

S: Mild aroma of malt sweetness and grain. not bad, just a bit bland.

T: Taste of some malt sweetness and grain. There is a mild bitterness and a fairly clean finish.

F: Light body, low carbonation, pretty boring.

O: Not a bad beer, just reminds me of a typical Euro Lager. Non-offensive probably best on a hot summer day.

Premium Lager from Coopers Brewery Limited