Chang Beer (Export) | Cosmos Brewery (Thai Beverage Plc.)

poor
awful
Read the review
Chang Beer (Export)Chang Beer (Export)

Cosmos Brewery (Thai Beverage Plc.)
Thailand
thaibev.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by Gusler on 12-20-2002

4.94/5  rDev +85.7%

11.15oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Bottom of back label stamped BEST BEFORE 032812.

Appearance - Clear super pale straw body. Big loose rocky white head with decent to low stick and decent retention.

Sound - Sounds like Rice Crispies. For real. Had to add this category just this once, for this beer.

Smell - Smells strongly of honey. Also some faint corn undertones.

Taste - Smooth. Honey. Malty. Sweet. Balanced. No off characters. Very light.

Mouthfeel - Light. Extremely clean. No off characters whatsoever.

Overall Drinkability - -Possibly the best American Adjunct Lager I've ever had, and it's not even made in America! Keep in mind I'm rating in style here. Absolutely great in style. I'd almost dare to say I hate AAL's, but I actually really like this beer. The delicateness and balance of the flavors reminds me of the Westvleteren Blonde. I don't make these comments lightly.

4.59/5  rDev +72.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is in second place with my favorite beer. Tinima/Rubia from the east of Cuba. Nearly identical just not 100% identical

4.5/5  rDev +69.2%

4.47/5  rDev +68%

Chang Beer is no longer made with any rice or corn adjuncts. 11.15 oz. bottle. The head was slightly off-white and thin, and the appearance was golden and quite bubbly. No lacing. The aroma is of sweet, lightly-toasted barley malt, and the flavor is of sweet malt, sugar, and mild hops. Mouthfeel is light to medium, and Chang finishes crisp, clean, refreshing, mostly dry, and incredibly drinkable. This is a wonderful beer, and I strongly recommend it.

RJT

4.33/5  rDev +62.8%

Solid, pils style. Served from a bottle. I had this right after a PU and this showed much better- lighter on the hops, but with a perfect malt balance. It actually reminds a bit of the Easter European beers, maybe just a touch less body. I would love love to serve this in a blind tasting, I have a feeling it would fool plenty a beer geek.

4.21/5  rDev +58.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.04/5  rDev +51.9%

4.02/5  rDev +51.1%
look: 2 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

From a 11.15oz bottle into a pint glass.

A- Golden yellow color, one finger head that fizzles away quickly. Some particles floating around in the beer. No lacing.

S- Honey, bready, malty. No hops detected.

T- Honey, very malty, bread. Sweet. Lacks hops. Some tobacco taste. Has an awesome bready aftertaste.

M- Not much carbonation. Watery and light. Sort of crisp.

Drinkability- Very smooth and easy to drink.

O- Overall, this beer surprised me with how great it tastes, but needs more carbonation. I really enjoyed its honey/bready/tobacco taste.

3.93/5  rDev +47.7%

330ml bottle at Thai Awesome into an oddly shaped Chang glass (wider at the bottom than the top, and perhaps 8-10oz capacity). Cheers to proper glassware, even if it's not what I'd expect.

A: Pours a predictably clear, pale straw body with 3 fingers of quite creamy white head. Great retention and some spotty lace. Not quite spectacular, but still attractive for a fizzy yellow beer.

S: Fairly subdued (but by no means unpleasant) aroma of grainy malt and very light, grassy hops. Not much to it, but I didn't expect much.

T: Wow, this is actually pretty good. Moderately sweet malt dominates, and is rounded out by a very crisp, clean hop bitterness. Only a very light amount of sulphurous lager yeast shows up on the tail end, and it just reminds me of a good German pilsner. Quite solid for what it is.

M: Nice medium body with eminently creamy carbonation. Velvety and thoroughly pleasant. The only reason it doesn't get a five is because I think the style should have a slightly thinner body.

D: This one disappeared in no time. There's absolutely nothing offensive, and the malt/hop balances is actually fairly pleasant. I could drink so many of these it's scary.

Notes: What a huge surprise! I ordered this just so I could review a beer from Thailand, and wound up actually enjoying it. Although this is listed as an AAL, the bottle gives an ingredient list that suggests the malt bill is limited to malted barley, and its taste supports the theory that adjuncts are absent. While drinking, I really felt like I was enjoying a very light, smooth German pilsner - not quite as hoppy as I'd like for that style, but many of the same characteristics: clean malt, herbal hops, and light sulphur. I probably won't ever buy this beer by itself, but it will definitely be the only thing I order in Thai restaurants from now on. Waaay better than I remember Singha being the one time I tried it. Underrated.

Cheers!

3.85/5  rDev +44.7%

Taste similar to its other Thailand counterpart Singha. Very easy drinking like most Lagers. Nothing offensive or out of the ordinary with this one. This is a session type of lager.

3.83/5  rDev +44%

Best Before 21 JUN11
21JUN10 14:47

A= The pour is a flat looking golden color. The bottle is really heavy. Not expected and doesn't really matter much just thought I would mention it. The head is pretty much non existant and is just a few whispy white marks on the top of the beer. I would say this beer looks pretty flat by the head but looking into the translucent beer I can see bubbles rising to the top.

S= Smells like honey water sort of. No hop presence at all and the typical "beer" smell is present but the dominate nose is honey sweetness. Interesting.

T= The taste is very similar to the smell. A bit more of the classic grainy "beer" taste then the smell but still very sweet in a honey way.

D= Pretty nice carbonation actually. I'm not too sure what the deal is with the head on it. Or lack of head I guess.

O= Not a bad beer. It sort of tastes like Grain Belt Premium a bit but more expensive and not as local to me...

3.77/5  rDev +41.7%

3.77/5  rDev +41.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev +41%

Clear golden with two fingers of white head. Head lasts about five minutes. No lacing in evidence.
The smell is lightly skunked probably due to the age of this bottle. It says best before 05 15 14.
Taste is pure European Pilsner. Very smooth malts with an herbal hop note to balance.
Mouthfeel was slightly under carbonated and light bodied.
Overall a suprisingly tasty beer. I will try to find a fresher version to see if it improves any.

3.75/5  rDev +41%

Chang Beer (Export) from Cosmos Brewery (Thai Beverage Plc.)