Chang Beer (Export) | Cosmos Brewery (Thai Beverage Plc.)

poor
awful
Read the review
Chang Beer (Export)Chang Beer (Export)

Cosmos Brewery (Thai Beverage Plc.)
Thailand
thaibev.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by Gusler on 12-20-2002

3.25/5  rDev +22.2%

2.92/5  rDev +9.8%

Chang ain't so bad. It's the beer that's very classic to the Far East. So if you are an American beer craftsman then Hell ship it to the over there an open up a new market. But this is one of my favorites from the Orient. As Vonnegut said, "And so it goes."

Pairs well with An Anthology of Chinese Experimental Music 1992-2008

1.35/5  rDev -49.2%

A thin head on a clear, medium straw colored body. No head left within 20 seconds of the pour.
The aroma is mowed yard grass and honey.
Wow, the taste has a bold metallic flavor upfront... and that continues to the end.
The texture is crisp with moderate carbonation.
Well, it's one of the worst adjunct lagers I've had.

2.92/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

4th beer from an Asian beer giftbox.

Standard golden lager colour, a white head with some retention.

Smells not too bad, mainly grassy hops and some grain. Bit of wet cardboard.

Taste is grain and hops. A hint of alcohol or something, a bit wierd. Anyway, bland but not bad tasting.

Good carbonation

Overal a decent lager, and a vast improvement over the last time I had it.

3.11/5  rDev +16.9%

I had sushi the other night… and I thought about grabbing a bottle of this. I also wanted sake, but ended up drinking water. But this beer, every time I see it, makes me think of sushi and Asian food. The beer is actually made in Thailand, and until I started researching this beer, I had no idea they had two versions. The bottle on the list and the bottle we have is the export option, so we get the full flavor that they experience over there. I have never been to Thailand, but when I do (and I know I will eventually go) I will have to drink one over there. Beers from foreign countries always taste better in the country they were brewed and bottled.

Also, cool story about the elephant. I always wondered why there was an elephant on the label. Now I know! Let's drink.

In the Glass: Before I even looked, I told Sheryl "This is going to be a very unimpressive beer." She said, "Looks like Budweiser." She's right. It's thin, light, no head, and not much lace to discuss. But the one thing I am noticing in the glass… bubbles. There are a LOT of bubbles rushing to the top. Not quite champagne bubbles, but close. Maybe this will be a refreshing and carbonated offering.

Nose: Smells like a domestic. Actually, it is a little sweeter than a domestic. I am quite impressed with the aroma, to be honest. It reminds me of the beers I like chugging in Poland. I need to go back to Poland just to get drunk on cheap beer! Or Nicaragua. Nicaragua is closer, and they have pretty beaches. Anyway, I am impressed with the aroma here. The second whiff was just as sweet as the first. I hope that sweetness carries over to the flavor.

Flavor: There is quite a bit of carbonation going on here. Not as much as I expected, but it enough for me to mention that here as my first experience. The sweetness carries over, but it's there and gone again leaving the palate dry and begging for more. This is a beer that has ties to professional sports… and that makes sense. That is why crappy beer like Budweiser and Coors Light have ties to sporting events. They are light, crisp, and something you can chug outside. Chang is that beer.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is decent. Like I said, there are a lot of bubbles scattered across the tongue. The beer is also easy drinking and is something you could drink several before you realize you have had one. The experience is quick, as the beer slides across the tongue and you swallow. The aftertaste, well… let's talk about the aftertaste.

Aftertaste: What aftertaste? There is more flavor up front than in the aftertaste. There really isn't much going on after you swallow. What is there is dry, but it quickly fades. For $1.49, I can't say I had high expectations. But the elephants on the label are cute!

The beer is not very impressive. I didn't expect it to be. If it was hot outside, I could see myself chugging three or four of these. Maybe even on the golf course. This is not my first beer from Thailand, and I am sure it won't be my last. But this is nothing worth writing home about. If you are out, and it is the same price as whatever domestic you are offered, try it. Oh, and if you are in Thailand, try it. Of course you have to try it over there!

3.25/5  rDev +22.2%

Photo of
3.5/5  rDev +31.6%

You had this beer. Write a review.

Chang Beer (Export) from Cosmos Brewery (Thai Beverage Plc.)