Estrella Damm | Damm S. A.

Read the review
Estrella DammEstrella Damm

Damm S. A.

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by brewdlyhooked13 on 12-08-2003

Reviews: 231 | Ratings: 665
Reviews by rickyleepotts:
3.57/5  rDev +25.3%

I see this beer all the time, but I have never had it. Until I grabbed this to review, I didn't even know what Estrella Damm meant! Estrella means "star", but had no idea Damm came from the guy who started the entire operation. Cool story, and cool how they changed the name of the brewery to honor him. This is a VERY old recipe, and I am excited to try it. Not usually a fan of American Adjunct Lagers, but this one has a good brand and comes to us from Barcelona. Actually it comes to us from the Total Wine & More in Scottsdale, Arizona. But you get the idea.

This is our first beer from this brewing company, but there are several more on the list. Let's see how the Estrella Damm stacks up. Bottoms up, people!

In the Glass: The beer looks pretty boring in the glass. It is thin, and you can see right through it. Some bubbles are rushing to the top, but not much action. Very little to no lace is offered here. Before I stick my nose in the glass, know that I do not expect great things. I expect this to be slightly better than an American domestic product, but a tad bit sweet like I have come to expect from boring European lagers.

Nose: Smells like beer. It has a weak aroma, but what I am getting is grassy and smells like liquid bread. That is what beer is, anyway. Liquid bread! A deep second whiff gives me yeast and some more bread aromas. Expecting a lot of that from the flavor.

Flavor: The first impression is somewhat sweet. It hits your tongue and the sweetness sort of explodes across your palate. Then it drinks like any other American Adjunct Lager I have had, then finishes sweet leaving a linger aftertaste of yeast and bread. Considering my expectations here, I am VERY impressed with this offering. The sweetness sort of took me for a loop. Wasn't expecting that.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is full, and flavorful ending with a smooth sweetness left on the tongue. There aren't a lot of bubbles, and it is a beer you could literally chug all day long. I bet this does well at futbol games in Europe and other foreign countries. This would be a good example of a domestic beer for countries like Spain, Italy, and France. I haven't been to Barcelona, but this will be the first beer I order when I step off the plane.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste is nice, dry, and bittersweet. The sweetness you get from the flavor hangs on and it just continues to get dry as I swallow. I bet the aftertaste hangs around a good 5-7 minutes. VERY impressed with this offering. Fun learning what "estrella" means and neat knowing the man that started this was named Damm. Consider this beer a learning experience all around!

3.25/5  rDev +14%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Six pack from Publix for the hotel room while in Hollywood for a deposition. Very crisp, refreshing Euro-lager that goes down quick and easy. Highly recommended for session drinking if it were a little cheaper.

2.88/5  rDev +1.1%

This is my first beer since I had a wisdom tooth pulled four days ago, my first beer in five days, and it's a wonderful spring day outside in Springfield,MO. Ah, it's good to be back in the game.

Estrella pours a yellow brick road goldenish color with a white head that falls quickly and leaves some lacing.

The aroma has a faint, slightly skunky hoppiness blended with corn. Pretty standard.

The taste is pretty typical "beer" flavors. Though it does start to taste a bit like apple juice it is better than others I won't mention, you know who they are. Not worth the price at all for a craft drinker. The taste is almost more powerful than it needs to be, which cuts down on the refreshment. Won't buy it again, not really glad I tried it. Oh, well.

2.25/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Just not good at all...but better than Coors.

3.5/5  rDev +22.8%

3.57/5  rDev +25.3%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: It has a bright golden yellow body with very good clarity and visible carbonation. The head is light and bubblely, bright white in color and fades quickly making only some spotty slick lace.

Smell: The aroma is very light with just a hint of light grassy/floral hops and grain.

Taste/Mouth Feel: The favor has a light grainy malt with mild but balanced grassy/floral hops and a slight citrus like acidity. It finishes cleanly and fairly dry. It has a light body with a light easy drinking texture and a somewhat fizzy carbonation.

Notes: This is my first beer from Spain and it is on par with any American Light Lager Style beer that I have had. This is nice but I look forward to trying more complex for Spain.

3.25/5  rDev +14%

2.86/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

$1.75 @ Charles Street Liquors, Boston, MA:

Presentation: 12 oz brown bottle with no freshness date. On the back label are the ingredients “Water, malt, yeast, rice, maize, hops & stabilizer e-405 which is a foam stabilizer. This makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Appearance: Tight foaming, good retention … does not matter because they cheated. Filtered clarity of a golden straw color.

Smell: Sugary malt cereal-mix with a strained hop aroma.

Taste: Typical Euro-lager over cooked hops and veggie like flavor from the rice and corn. Some maltiness with a lingering corn flavor, hops are vaguely bitter and add just enough.

Mouthfeel: Smooth as any pale lager could be, bitty and dry on the palate.

Notes: Euro-lagers are a dime a dozen … no they are not, this one was $1.75 a pop, certainly not worth it at all.

2.82/5  rDev -1.1%

2.68/5  rDev -6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

2.59/5  rDev -9.1%

I must admit, I had good feelings toward this beer after having it on draft in a London pub. Add in that I'm going to Spain in a week and I thought I'd check it out again.

This is not good beer. Sure, compared to a BMC it's spectacular. But for the price of an import 6-pack, you could easily pick up an awesome craft beer. I'll still finish off the 6-pack - it's beer, of course I'll drink it. But I won't enjoy it!

Poured into a Trumer Pilsner glass (Stange?). Beautiful color and a head that won't quit. Seriously, I gave up waiting for it to go down, and eventually just dug in. Lacing was impressive - it left a ring around the glass after every sip, with about 7 levels of lacing by the end. But...then I look into and find out they use some chemical to increase head retention. Major fail. Cheaters.

The body is a little thicker than the typical American lager, and tastes a bit sweet like honey and malt and something grainy I can't put my finger on. Definitely unique. Taste isn't completely terrible, just too sweet, and has virtually no bitterness or hop presence at all, either in the aroma or taste.

Of course it's drinkable. It's a euro lager. I could slam an entire 6-pack, except that the sweetness would start to get cloying after the first bottle or two.

On the plus side, the labels come off super-easy for using in my own homebrew.

Won't be buying again. Time to find out if there are any decent breweries in Madrid...

2.56/5  rDev -10.2%

Poured from bottle into a standard beer glass.

Appearance: Clear Yellowish color with heavy carbonation. Head was about two fingers and did not last long, except for a very thin layer on top that lasted almost the whole beer.

Smell: Almost nothing in the way of smell. Maybe some cereal type grains but faint.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Lighter bodied and smooth. Some sweet and bitter qualities about this beer. But it was a bit watered down, which I would expect from these types of beers. It had a dry and bitter after taste that I have noticed is common in a lot of the American Adjunct Lagers made in Spanish and Latino countries.

Overall: Not a horrible beer. I can honestly say I enjoyed it. Good beer for a hot summer day, and I drank the whole six pack. Not my immediate choice, but would have again.

2.16/5  rDev -24.2%

Poured in a chilled pint glass...

Appearance - a very light pouring beer, first appearance is very refreshing! Solid white head that disappears pretty quick. Minimal lacing and the head turns to the island appearance! Carbonation is present, however dies down fairly quick.

Smell - light smelling beer, almost no hops present.

Taste - clean tasting beer, i would say refreshing. Slight taste of liquor at the end, but very much not present.

Mouthfeel - smooth moutfeel, not a lot of carbonation. after taste is a little more present.

Drinkability - I would not lean twds this beer again in the future, it offers a limited amount of taste. Only thing is its a light and refreshing based beer.

3.63/5  rDev +27.4%

Estrella Damm from Damm S. A.