Estrella Damm Inedit | Damm S. A.

good
Estrella Damm IneditEstrella Damm Inedit

Damm S. A.
Spain
estrelladamm.com

Style: Witbier

Added by philipquarles on 09-07-2009

3.18/5  rDev -10.4%

75cL curvy wine bottle, packaged in a fancy black box. Despite the rediculous and pretentious packaging I couldn't pass up a $12 bottle of what appeared to be Belgian wit from *Spain* of all places. As depicted on the box I served it in a wine glass. Beer is straw yellow in color and formed a nice white head which quickly sank. Aroma is initially yeasty, but underneath there's a sweetness, like apple juice (or adjunct lager...).

Flavor is pretty freaking marginal. I can appreciate cold and refreshing, but I don't need "The World's Most Awarded Chef" (whoever that is) to serve me a glass of ice water. Digging a little deeper, there is a hint of ginger and coriander. The flavor is neither sweet nor dry -- I think I would have preferred a little bit drier. Minus points because the package is deceiving: the flavor is anything but "high intensity" or "aromatic". It doesn't have "long aftertaste" because it hardly has any taste at all. Highly drinkable, but bland. The wheat flavor is not highlighted at all, rather it is used only as a mild vehicle for more mild flavors.

I assume the name is a pun on "Damn, I need it". Maybe not. But minus points either way. If this is Damm's best beer I don't feel much need to explore more.

3.45/5  rDev -2.8%

I was forever intimidated by the $10 price tag on it, but my Manager said he loved it so I decided to dive in. First, the bottle itself is classy, classy enough that I would suggest it to wine lovers as a starting beer, just for the fact it comes in a similar looking bottle. But, seeing as we are all beer lovers, I digress.

It recommends on the bottle to pour it in a wine glass. Not having a wine glass I used my Stella Artois chalice since it is basically the same thing. It pouts a pale yellow with 2.5 fingers of head with yeast visibly floating in my glass when I shined a light on it. Smells citrusy, as any wheat beer would. Not a complex smell, but a pleasant one. Now the taste; it tastes like a below average wheat beer. It's not bad to be sure, but for ten dollars I expected a bit more complexity.

It is very watery, and the aftertaste is a little unpleasant. Not like "last sip" unpleasant, but not very good either. if it was maybe $6 or $7 for the bottle I would be less upset, but when you enter double digits it needs to be justified in the taste of the beer; sadly, It wasn't here.

4.5/5  rDev +26.8%

3.36/5  rDev -5.4%

3.75/5  rDev +5.6%

3.47/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My brother gave me a bottle of the for Christmas of 2011. I was a big Adria fan and hadn't heard of the beer prior to being given a bottle, so was quite excited to try it.

Overall I was a little disappointed. I guess because I was expecting a lot from this. It is a good beer, and I can't complain about any aspect of it in particular, but nothing was really much above average.

I guess it is quite a unique style, and I can't say I've had anything quite like it before or since. But, overall it really just isn't that exciting, especially coming from the likes of Ferren Adria. I'd have it again but not in a hurry or at a price.

3.53/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Celebrator pokal. Pours a light to medium golden amber with a great three finger white head that dissipates slowly leaving lots of lacing. Nice active carbonation in the glass. Classic witbier aroma of wheat and light fruit juice; apple and pear, mild malt. Flavor of sweet malt, apple and pear juice, very light sour lemon, a hint of coriander and hops. Flavors are nice, but attenuated almost to the point of tasting watered down. Light bodied. Pleasant, but uninspired and thin tasting. Nice classy bottle, but I'd rather have a stronger witbier in an ugly bottle. At least I can tick Damm without having to drink their macros...

3.14/5  rDev -11.5%

A: A bit yellow for a witbier, a little haze, very little head

S: Very fruity, apple, lemon, pear, hints of spices

T: Very sweet, a lot of orange, nothing more

M: slightly undercarbonated, not very creamy even a bit sticky

O: Not really good, too bland, too sweet

4.5/5  rDev +26.8%

3.75/5  rDev +5.6%

2.75/5  rDev -22.5%

3.67/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This witbier is fairly clear bodied and the carbonation is pretty good. The head is white and extremely bubbly and thins out really quickly. The aroma is pretty good, wheat and mild malts smells come through, light grasses, lemon zest and not much else. Its slightly spicy you can start to taste some other spices, coriander, mild hops start to come in as you swallow, but the taste is rather lacking, I wish the spices were a bit more evident. It is crisp on the tongue; and remains light and refreshing. This one isn’t bad for the style but I would expect more from a chef.

3.5/5  rDev -1.4%

Estrella Damm Inedit from Damm S. A.