Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Estrella Damm Daura | Damm S. A.

Estrella Damm DauraEstrella Damm Daura
3.21/5
Okay
Estrella Damm DauraEstrella Damm Daura

Damm S. A.
Spain
estrelladamm.com

Style: Euro Pale Lager

Gluten-free (less than 6 ppm), but made using barley malt!

Added by Rayek on 08-28-2010

1.93/5  rDev -39.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

I bought this because so many people I know were telling me how great this beer was, so I picked one up, and to tell you the truth the hype failed to match the quality. The taste is very plain, not much going on, the way it feels in the mouth is akin to water, plain water. Overall it was disappointing.

330 ml bottle into lager glass, best before 12/2017. Pours crystal clear medium golden yellow color with a 1 finger dense white head with great retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Nice spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass, with a moderate amount of streaming carbonation retaining the cap. Aromas of big cracker, white bread dough, lightly toasted biscuit, pepper, and herbal/grassy earthiness. Damn nice aromas with great balance of pale malt and moderate earthy hop notes; with great strength. Taste of big cracker, white bread dough, lightly toasted biscuit, pepper, and herbal/grassy earthiness. Light-moderate herbal, grass, spicy bitterness on the finish. Lingering notes of cracker, white bread dough, biscuit, pepper, and herbal/grassy earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Great robustness and balance of pale malt and moderate earthy hop flavors; with a great malt/bitterness balance, and zero astringent hop flavors after the finish. Light-moderate increasing dryness from bitterness. Fairly crisp/clean finishing. Perfectly clean on lager flavors, with zero yeast notes present. Medium carbonation and body; with a very smooth, moderately bready/grainy, and fairly sticky balanced mouthfeel that is great. Zero warming alcohol as expected of 5.4%. Overall this an excellent pale lager. All around great robustness and balance of pale malt and moderate earthy hop flavors; very smooth, crisp, clean, and refreshing to drink with the fairly bitter/drying finish. Very flavorful for the ABV. Great level of noble hop presence for a Euro lager, with plenty of clean bready pils malt flavors. This had absolutely no adjuncts at all from what I could tell. A really enjoyable offering, one of the best Euro pale lagers I've had.

3.93/5  rDev +22.4%

Not bad, quite smooth lager minus the bad yeast overtone, somewhat closer to a Mexican Corn beer than to an European Lager. Okay.

2.94/5  rDev -8.4%

3.5/5  rDev +9%

3.4/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.41/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.3/5  rDev +34%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Light gold back with little head. No lacing. Simple but clean and bright aroma of malt, lemon, tangerine, pine, bananas, yogurt. Palate of malt, wheat bread, cedar bark, lemon, lime, not tart grapefruit, with a stale bread finish. Pros very easy drinking, some complexity, pairs well. Cons some stale bread, corn bread notes. 85/100.

2.99/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

3.51/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours a slightly hazy gold color with almost no head. Unremarkable smell very little is discernable in the taste I added a lime and it helped a lot. It's smooth and easy to swallow. Typical cerveza.

3.7/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

It pours a pale yellow with a thin head and the smell is of a sweet corn and some malt. The taste is sweetness of the corn and light malt. The saving grace is how smooth the taste is and how easy it goes down. This is early the most drinkable beer I have had. Mouthful is a little watery but still good. Overall. I really enjoyed this one.

3.25/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.5/5  rDev +9%

3.4/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.69/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.41/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.01/5  rDev -6.2%

From the 330 ml. bottle with an expiration date of 06/17. Sampled October 29, 2016.

It pours a bright golden yellow tone with a long lasting white foamy head. Great clarity.

The aroma has a mixture of toasted pale malts, bread, corn, and grass.

Light body.

It is gluten-free so this beer has little character in the taste beyond a breaded malt note, low to no sweetness, but a slightly dry bitter ending.

2.82/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

as close to an American lager as I've found in the GF realm

2.68/5  rDev -16.5%

3.48/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.22/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Head stays up well.

Malty aroma. Ok...

Crisp and refreshing. Very well balanced...perfect for hot day.

Gluten-reduced, not actually free..

3.34/5  rDev +4%

First let me say this was the best tasting GF beer I've tried. Only its not GF as as stated. I was diagnosed 5 years ago with Celiac, was a mess, weight loss. Biopsy conformed a Marsh 3B, very bad small bowel damage.

I went GF and had a another biopsy 6 mos later which showed an almost completely healed bowel. It was then I went in search of a GF beer and found Daura. I was surprised that it actually tasted like beer. It is after all made with Barley (protein) removed according to estrella damm brewers and listed as below 3ppm (Canada) in the US they cannot label it as GF.
Fast forward a year. I had been drinking Estrella Daura and been very strict with my GF diet. I contacted my Gastro doc for another biopsy to evaluate my small bowel to see If I was completely healed now. To my surprise the biopsy showed "partial healing" in fact this biopsy was poorer than the one i had 6 mos after going GF drinking no beer at all.

I researched everything and came to the conclusion it was the Daura, I had seem independent tests done on many GF and non GF beers testing the Gluten levels and Daura came in at over 20ppm!!

I tried contacting Estrella, emails no reply, try the phone for get it. I then contacted my Gastro doc and she suggested I go off the Daura for 6 mos and re do the biopsy so I agreed.

I had my biopsy after 6 mos free from the Estrella Duara. My small bowel biopsy was "normal"!!! as in no indication of any damage. Daura is NOT gluten free!!!! The fact that they won't respond to me, the fact that independent testing has revealed over 20ppm, and the fact that the U S of A won't allow Daura to label itself GF in the U.S speaks volumes. I believe the label say Gluten reduced??? in the U.S.
Daura is NOT gluten free!!!!

3.31/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

2.94/5  rDev -8.4%

Ok similar to a pilsner but nothing special

3.29/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Estrella Damm Daura from Damm S. A.