California Sunshine Rye IPA | Devil's Canyon Brewing Company

Liked:
3.34/5
Alströms:

4.57/5  rDev +36.8%

The CANQuest (TM) would like to thank the Friendly Greek in Lancaster, PA for making this and a couple of other Devil's CANyon CANs available to me recently.

From the CAN: I have to agree with DoubleJ that the sun on the label looks satiated. "We weren't trying to be revolutionary in 2002, we just wanted to brew an interesting beer style using extra ingredients we had on hand. The resulting contribution to craft beer's renaissance was this rye-centric India Pale Ale. At 85 IBUs, California Sunshine Rye IPA is exceptionally well-balanced with assertive hop bitterness, a toasty, bready malt mouth-feel, and a grassy, dry finish. Enjoy our uniquely original re-imagining of a traditional English style IPA while pondering the craft beer polymath you surely are."

I am getting MUCH better at executing the Crack, but the Glug is suddenly eluding me! I chalk it up to atmospheric CANditions as it is overcast breezy, slightly humid and not really in keeping with this time of year. What a beautiful two fingers of head resulted from my efforts - rocky, tawny, great retention and dense as all get-out! I signed my name in it with my finger. It looked like tawny meringue. Color was a deep-amber with NE-plus quality clarity, allowing me to once again peer into my future. I will be in Lincoln, NE on 28 February 2015 to co-celebrate my 50th birthday with Val MidWest, who will be celebrating her 21st and ma Petite Abeille (Old Lady) will be joining us. Nose had a characteristic rye black pepperiness and I began salivating uncontrollably. A brewer at Philly Beer Week imparted that they have tried a 40% rye grain bill IPA and that the sparge takes most of the day to drain. Ha! I would love to be a part of that debacle. if Sopor is still on this site, I remember him telling me, in 2006, that he was going to brew an all-rye IPA as his last batch on his original homebrew system and then put the whole thing out on the curb on trash day. Double Ha! Mouthfeel was silky smooth, enveloping my tongue with the softest of touches, and the flavor was Goldilocks/Baby Bear-perfect for an AIPA. Not too bitter, not too malty, but just right with the rye bringing a black pepper bite to the equation. Oh my. Finish was dry, but more peppery dry than hoppy bitter dry. I want MORE of this! Where is Belmont in Cali?

4.46/5  rDev +33.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Tasty IPA, i would buy this again.

4.37/5  rDev +30.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

In the cold snow of Korea, the I was smitten for the smiling Sun on the bottle of this particular brew, from the Sunny shores of California. I decided then, on a Wednesday morning (happy hour in California) to go ahead and warm up my day, with this aptly named California Sunshine IPA.

Poured out of the deuce-deuce, much to my chagrin, the foam was superfluous, probably due to the international travel stress on the bottle. However, one of my new year's resolutions for 2013, is to practice patience and feel the joy that it brings, so with that, I let the beer settle nicely before moving on to smell, taste, and mouthfeel tests.

The smell went to validate my choice, with hearty notes of Rye breaking though the cloud of foam, while at the same time, leaving enough behind to trace the taste of the beer as well. It settled nicely onto the palate, dancing along the ridgeline of the taste buds, before working its magic, streaming to other arenas of the head, namely the mind.

I would be amiss if I did not say that I was impressed with this beer. Initially taken in by appearance (a fool's choice, usually), I became skeptical when I encountered the foam situation. Careful though to not place blame, and to welcome patience, in the end, I came away more than satisfied with what was delivered. My day was turned around, supplying hope that here in Korea, the Sun will soon enough, bestow its warmth through other means than a delicious IPA...

4.05/5  rDev +21.3%

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a brandy snifter. New bottles hit the store yesterday, but I bought this the day before, so probably last year's vintage.

A: Just cloudy enough to perhaps be unfiltered, but still a mostly clear amber. An attractive beer, with about a finger of not-quite-white head. Great lacing.

S: It smells nice, with rollicking, familiar hops leading the way. Centennial perhaps? So it seems. A heavy fruitiness is mostly graprefruit, but also something a bit more tropical.

T: It's not going to win Best in Show, but this is a mighty fine IPA. Drinkable, complex, and layered. A bit heavy at times, which I like, with a firm malt foundation from which to build. The topnotes are rich fruit, and the main flavour is bitter resin and biscuity malt. Rye isn't obvious, but the aftertaste is indicatively drying. The carbonation is spot-on and helps the flavours shine.

O: I thoroughly enjoyed drinking this beer. I really like IPAs, which might be skewing my judgment, but I would drink several of these in a row, and will definitely be buying again. Recommended, if not highly.

Notes: "We were not trying to be revolutionary in 2002; we just wanted to brew an interesting beer style using extra ingredients we had on hand. The resulting contribution to craft beer's renaissance was this paradigm shifting style of a rye-centric India Pale Ale. At 85 IBUs, California Sunshine Rye IPA is exceptionally well balanced with assertive hop bitterness, a toasty and bready malt mouth-feel, and a grassy, dry finish. Enjoy our uniquely original re-imagining of a traditional unfiltered English style IPA while pondering being the craft beer polymath you surely are. "
ABV: 7.1%
IBU: 85
Hops: Centennial, Nugget, Northern Brewer
Malts: North American 2-Row, Rye Malt, Biscuit Malt, Caramel Malt

3.98/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Great looking head; creamy, almond milk colored foam with great retention and lace. Light haze on a deep orange body.

S - Orange marmalade, papaya, bread crust.

T - Loaded with peppery rye, grapefruit pith, orange honey. Spicy, woody hop builds through the backend.

M - Full body, almost thick.

O - A very nice rye IPA. Loaded with flavor, maybe a shade too sweet, but with a nice rye forward profile and a strong bitter character.

3.93/5  rDev +17.7%

Devil's Canyon California Sunshine Rye IPA, I was instantly drawn to this brew because of the cheerful sun on the front of the can. Yes it is a can, however good things can come in a can like Spam... wait I hate Spam, all those damn Monty Python references are trying to take over... Spam-Spam-Spam-Spam... Nooo!

Poured from an American pint sized can into a nonic pint (Imperial).

A: Has a nice healthy brown/amber body like all rye beers, and a thin off-white head, also a good sign.

S: Faint(ish) Cascade fruity/floral hops are present along with a bold toasted biscuit base, bread yeast and burnt toffee. Very English in the aroma department.

T: Rye really comes in to play with an assertive sweet rye bread flavour upfront. This is followed by and equally assertive citrus and pine hop centre, sweet again with toffee apple and finishes drier than expected with another bread note. After-taste leaves an impression of medicinal bitters and raw sugar. Did I mention it was sweet? Well they've got to put that 7.1% ABV somewhere.

M: Medium bodied with a mid to light carbonation and a hint of stickiness due to the sugars.

D: Fairly well articulated beer - has that bitter-sweet balance right and it's made all the more better with rye, which is a highly underutilised grain in brewing - mainly because of it's low diastatic power or enzyme content which means you have to use more grains to get the same alcohol content that barley can produce. In any case I like rye and rye likes me, so let the party begin. Other than this the harshness of the after-taste deducts half a point and the cost of buying this in Australia is also a negative, but all-in-all this is one fine brew!

Food match: Borderline dessert beer - sticky date or caramel pudding would go down a treat with this.

3.93/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

golden orange and hazy. hardly any head. 2nd pour, more vigorous, had more head....
tropical fruit aromas, but not entirely identifiable. kind of musty....
taste is orange-y. sweet. slightly bitter from the hop, but more biscuit than and sweeter than of hop.
overall, a thin kind of brew. acceptable, decent, almost very good; but lacking "something".... certainly one that can be had in series. light enough to drink a few of. but even the 'soap' on the sides is rather watery.

3.89/5  rDev +16.5%

Bright, golden body, like it's namesake. Thick, yellow tinged head fills the glass and slowly falls, leaving a patchy cover. Not much lacing.

Biscuit malts with some caramel. Spicy rye and cereal grains. Some floral hops. Lemon grass. The rye really dominates the nose.

Toasted biscuit malts, with a burnt caramel sweetness. Great rye profile, grainy, spicy and creamy. Dry, grassy hops, with some fruit sweetness. Slight alcohol burn on the finish.

You could claim that this is more of a pale ale than an IPA, but I don't care, because the rye flavors are fantastic, and really make this beer for me. I'm a sucker for rye, so this was right up my alley.

3.83/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.81/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into a pint glass

Appearance – The beer pours a hazy orange color with a one finger white colored head. The head has a great level of retention fading over time to leave a good level of decent on the sides of the glass.

Smell- The aroma of the brew is biggest of sweet tropical fruits of tangerine and a bit of mango mixed with bittering hop smells of a grapefruit and light herbal hop aroma. Mixed with these smells are notes of a bready smells as well as some hints of rye, along with a light amount of a candy like sugary sweet smell.

Taste – The taste begins with some of the tropical fruit flavors that were detected in the nose as well as some grapefruit citrus hop. A rye flavor is absent at first being hidden by a more bready and caramel malt flavor initially. The bready flavor loses ground thought as the taste advances and the rye becomes a little stronger allowing it to be detected. While this occurs, so too does the sweetness dry out a little with the grapefruit citrus growing stronger as the flavor advances to the end. In the end a bit of a pine hop comes to the tongue as well finishing off the flavor transitions and leaving a citrusy hoped flavor on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is on the medium to slightly thicker and creamier side with it beginning more smooth and developing crisper in the mouth as the taste moves from the start to the finish. This is rather nice of the hoppy nature of the brew although not perfect for the sweeter fruit. While the creamier body was not as good for the fruit , the prickly carbonation was quite nice for fruit as well as helped enhance the spiciness of the hop.

Overall- A nice and tasty IPA. On the smoother side with a big grapefruit flavor complimented with some lighter pine and a sweeter fruit flavors. Quite drinkable and well worth a try.

3.79/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a cloudy orange/golden color with a 1 inch head. Smell is of tropical fruits, some hops. Taste is well balanced malts and hops, some rye, a touch of fruits, pretty tasty. Feels full bodied in the mouth and overall is a solid beer.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75