Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

California Sunshine Rye IPA | Devil's Canyon Brewing Company

Style: American IPA

Formerly Red Devil Rye IPA

Added by nickd717 on 03-08-2010

1.22/5  rDev -63.5%

Poured out looking like a normal ipa, amber and copper colored, a bit more of foam/head coming out of the bottle, didn't think anything of it because it poured ok. And then, it hit me, whoa, this aroma is downright disgusting. . . infection, highly likely. Smell of infected garbage. Forget hops, malt, pine, grapefruit, just go stick your head in the neighbor's garbage with their kid's spoiled shitty diapers in it.

Taste, ugh, off unintentional sour musty and soggy aspects to the taste. Tried to drink it all, we just couldn't, had to add it to the grill on the corn n brats we were having while watching the 1000th episode of Raw last night (Doink & Slick in the first hour = awesome).

Would I try it again, sure, since it was only $4 a bottle, but damn, this was a disappointing bottle, but it had had had to be infected.

1.43/5  rDev -57.2%
look: 3 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Amber colored ipa, substantial head over 1". Holy crap this aroma reeks of problems. A mixture of day old refuse left in the sun, grapefruit, crystal malt, and pine.

Off sour notes, heavy infected wood notes. There is no way this is going according to plan. While the bomber is relatively inexpensive, what a turn off. Old butter notes, bitterness, soapy.

2.25/5  rDev -32.6%

2.34/5  rDev -29.9%

I'll admit to my disappointment here. I took a chance and had high hopes, however this barely ekes out a 2.5 out of 5. I love the canning movement for quality beers, I really do, but this time the can bleeds into the beer itself. Which can be an addition, a relaxing revelation of normalcy, when you're drinking a Budweiser tallboy on a hot summer day, on the front porch of the 5 bedroom flat you share with 5 other broke-ass kids in some nameless, shapeless city, but when you're dropping $12 on a 4 pack and sharing a small apartment with your wife and kid, well, let's just say that the metallic bite bites. On the plus side, this beer contains alcohol, which is really the point. I wont even get into it past that as it's just not worth our time.

2.38/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

16-oz can poured into a pint glass

A: Dirty amber, darker than most IPAs, not the most vibrant brown. One finger of soft foam that subsided, but the bit that's left sticks nicely.

S: At 85 IBUs, I was expecting a burst of aromatic hops, but that didn't happen. Diacetyl up front and stale hops. Bit of graininess.

T: The rye comes through pretty well, especially in the aftertaste, like rye crackers. The bitterness isn't immediately strong, but it builds up and lingers.

M: There's an okay amount of carbonation for the medium-light body. Finishes okay, but kinda thin and pretty astringent.

2.51/5  rDev -24.9%

Pours a light and hazy gold color with a small white head.

Aromas are odd, light funk (infection?) that isn't overpowering, but it's there. Some light citrus and floral hoppiness, but it's hard to find.

Taste doesn't show the possible infection as much as the nose did. Lightly sweet, slight butter flavors, with a crisp and faintly bitter hop finish. All in all, the taste of this beer is really light with not much going on. Doesn't taste bad, but doesn't taste like much of anything.

Mouthfeel is light, but too light, definitely feels watered down.

While this beer wasn't a complete train wreck (I finished my half of the bottle), it certainly wasn't very good either. Boring, with not much flavor at all.

2.64/5  rDev -21%

Bought on a whim as I'm unfamiliar withe the brewery and this was a first sighting, so let's give it a go. I pour a bomber into a large wine glass, showing a light to moderate amber in color. A half inch of foam offers decent retention and stickiness but this pour is a bit dark.

Nose is of light caramel roast with a minimal hop presence. Toasted bread comes to mind. Some hop notes do emerge with warming, dank and deep.

Offers a creamy carbonation and decent flavor though a bit thick and viscous for the style. A decent hit of caramel malt is noteable and a bit chalky at times. I should have known that Belmont was in the Caramel Zone as for NoCal IPA's, Pleasant yet a bit too Red/Amber/Caramel for an IPA from a SoCal perspective. When will I learn.

Overall average and limited by an excessive Caramel influence. If the first thing I smell when I pour an IPA is malts then is it really an IPA?

2.71/5  rDev -18.9%

Ouch! What the hell is this stuff? Tangy and somewhat sweet with some unusual bitter tones mixed in as well. An IPA? I thinks not. A mess of a brew? Unfortunately, yes. Nowhere near where it should be for the style, though thankfully it is still drinkable.

2.96/5  rDev -11.4%

Not sure of the age of this one as there is no best by or born on date. I can't quite remember which business trip I bought this on either so it could be 2-4 months from when I acquired it. When I opened the can beer started to foam out of the top. When I poured it three quarters of the glass was foam despite my best pouring efforts. I came back a few minutes later and poured more in. After several minutes I'm now looking and a glass that's two thirds beer with an inch of very frothy beige to brown head. The color of the beer is copper and there's a moderate haziness. I'm definitely smelling rye, but not hops. I'm tasting a very rye forward beer that has grassy hops in the back of the palate. The mouth is a bit gritty and chalky.

California Sunshine Rye IPA from Devil's Canyon Brewing Company