Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Schultenbrau Rosé | Bavaria Brouwerij N.V.

1.85/5

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by Douberd on 09-03-2012

Reviews by Douberd:
2.2/5  rDev 0%

I knew something was odd with this beer from the moment I opened the 6-bottle package and took a look at the bottle. The beer seemed to be too clear for a rose, even though I was looking at it while it was still in its brown bottle.
The most Rosé beers I had till now were Wit beers with some strawberries/raspberries juice and/or a coloring agent, in order to get that characteristic pink colour. And because of that, those roses tend to be quite hazy and in most cases non transparent at all.
That was not the case with this one. As I had suspected, it was very clear and certainly not pink/rose in colour. More like a deep golden colour with an orange hue, or, if you prefer, a deep copper colour. I poured my second bottle on a flute glass as recommended and doing that, I was finally able to get an one-and-a-half fingers of white head, slowly dissloving, untill it was completely gone. Not much activity in the glass.
Aroma was very artificial and generic, reminded me of raspberries juice and cough syrup.
Very sweet in taste, but once again very artificial. The berries taste covers everything else and leaves a fruity aftertaste as expected, only more sour.
Very thin on the body and to make things worse, a huge amount of carbonation, which in combination with the fruity aroma and taste, make you feel that you're drinking a carbonated berries juice.
I didn't have any high hopes for this beer, but it was even worse than I expected.

1.5/5  rDev 0%

Schultenbrau Rosé from Bavaria Brouwerij N.V.