Cherry Stout | Walking Man Brewing Co.

Cherry StoutCherry Stout

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Formerly Black Cherry Stout

Added by HiroProtagonist on 04-25-2004

4.92/5  rDev +33.7%

I'm not normally a Stout guy, but this won me over. The flavor has got to be experienced!!!

4.71/5  rDev +28%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Had a pint fresh from the source in Stevenson, WA. It's dark, looks like a stout, smells and tastes like a chocolate covered cherry, so if you like them, you'll like this beer. I could drink this thing all night - skip the dessert.

4.57/5  rDev +24.2%

Had on-tap at the Horse Brass Pub in Portland, OR. Hugh, the bartender told me it's "sweet, but we sell a whole lot of it..."

The first signs are good for me, despite the skeptical tones in Hugh's voice: gorgeous deep black body, with a creamy head of mocha-brown. Lace is fine, but consistent and persistent, leaving wonderful lace. It looks so good, I feel as though it might be a nitro pour. Not sure, though.

Nose is: BIG. Black cherry comes through strongly, giving a refreshing medicinal hint with its poignant biting fruit, above the deep dark maltiness that sits like heavily stewed mudcake underneath. Other notes crop up with marzipan, powdered sugar and fruit compote. Wow. This is an incredible smelling beer. I really love it.

Taste is lighter, but still very good. Smooth, roasty entry that never lets up on the sweetness, with an upswell of black cherry and a mild phenolic medicinal bite. Back palate has bitter almonds, smooth, pithy fruit and a caressing dryness that wraps everything up while still allowing it to express itself. Lovely.

Feel is smooth, but allows a tingle from the cherry to come through.

Overall, I'm wowed. This is amazingly good stuff. I'm a fan of the judicious addition of fruit to stouts, and this is a great example of it. It's drinkable and smooth, but really interesting and complex. I just love it to bits.

4.5/5  rDev +22.3%

Black Cherry Stout was served at the Walking Man Brewpub. The beer was black in color and came with a thin dark tan head. Dark cherry accents peeked through at the edges of the glass. The nose was absolutely beeming with wonderful notes of creamy sasparilla, focused cherry, and fresh vanilla....promising of good things to come. On the palate, flavors of black cherry swirled with tasty notes of chocolate and creamy nutty coffee. The beer seemed to release even more dark estery aromatics while drinking it (picked up though retro-olfaction) than smelling it directly. A chocolate-roasty sharpness developed after the initial hit of flavor, leading into a smooth roasted dry cocoa finish that left lingering mildly bitter cherry essence...with almost porter-like qualities. Beautiful flow of flavor...with balance and moderation. The body was superbly composed for the flavors and character of this beer. A wonderfully crafted stout with flair.

4.47/5  rDev +21.5%

The aroma is fabulous and welcomes you warmly with every sip. The taste backs up the aroma nicely, like an especially adept bodyguard. A beautiful stout to be enjoyed when it's cold outside.

4.45/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I heard a while back that this beer was born of a bet/joke. It turned out so well that it's been a regular in Walking Man's lineup ever since. And yes, this beer is anything but a joke.

Pours like motor oil and settles with a lovely brown head. Black cherries burst into the nose along with hints of mesquite smoke and espresso.

Black Cherry shows up right off the bat and mingles with chocolate and coffee. Somehow I even taste some banana. Finish is full of coffee bitterness and cherry.

Mouth is medium, which definitely promotes sessionability despite the 7.20 ABV. This is a wonderful fruit beer that I never hesitate to order when I see it on tap.

4.35/5  rDev +18.2%

Poured pitch black with a small brown head. Nose is dark cherries and a hint of chocolate. Taste is creamy mouthfeel, chocolate with black and red cherries coming on midway and finishig up on the end. Extremely tasty and oh so drinkable. Perhaos one stout that has made me say WOW in quite some time.NW does it best.

4.34/5  rDev +17.9%

Served on tap at Walking Man.

Very dark beer, small, short lasting head. First smell was cherries, cherries, and chocolate. First taste I was blown away. This is the first fruit stout I've had. I know, not too much experience in this area, but what a way to start it off! I was amazed at how smooth it was. Goes down like heavy whipping cream (yes, I've drank it plain before!). Don't know if the beer travels well, but fresh on tap is incredible.

4.3/5  rDev +16.8%

Served in straight pint glass. Poured a rich, deep black color with (surprisingly) just a thin cap of tan head that had no retention and a bare trace of lacing.

The expected roasty stout aromas were nicely accented by the scent of dark cherry. The flavors followed along as expected, with the cherry complimenting the the base beer nicely.

The body was a thick, but not heavy, treat. A very drinkable beer for being so big. Worth seeking out.

4.25/5  rDev +15.5%

Mmm, mmm. Found this on one of the guest taps at the Horse Brass. Pours jet black with a small, coffee-colored head. Poured a little cold, but aroma is still a nice blend of dark cherries and a hint of chocolate. Wonderful creamy mouthfeel holds a nice, deep malty base with a background of cherries, dark chocolate, and a touch of molasses. Probably the best stout I've had in years.

4.22/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.17/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured from 22oz bomber into a tulip.

Appearance: totally black with a thin finger of frothy tan foam. The color is great, but the head is a little underwhelming.

Smell: cherry and chocolate, what more do you need to know? The cherry here is just outstanding; it's a little on the sweet side, but damn these things go together well.

Taste: great cherry cordial flavor with a malty base and a good bitterness. This beer really does a good job of walking the line between sweet fruit flavor and a legitimately good base beer. I think it's balanced and delicious.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a low carbonation and decent creaminess.

Overall: this might be one of those beers that you really have to be in the mood for, but I can see myself being in the mood for this one most of the time.

4.09/5  rDev +11.1%

Pours dark brown with some clarity through the corners. Thin bubbly head that takes a little while to die out.

Smelll is my favorite part about this. I applaud the way Walking Man has had the roasted malt overpower the cherry by just a little bit. Let's not forget this is beer. If I wanted a cherry wine cooler, I'd admit to my parents that they raised me wrong and go get one.

Taste follows suit. Beer forefront with cherry background. Definitely a black cherry too, nice tart flavor, not like a fake cherry flavoring usually tastes like

Mouthfeel is good. Not too sweet and heavy that it feels thick but the cherry doesn't over tart from a thin body. If anything Id say it leans a bit far on the thin spectrum but it's pretty darn balanced.

Overall I'm very impressed with this beer. I have every intention of ordering it again when I head back, and will look for it in bottles. It will probably even age well.

4.07/5  rDev +10.6%

I had this beer on tap at Rose & Raindrop in Portland, OR on a perfectly rainy, miserable Sunday in October. Imperial pint glass pour.

A: Jet black stout with a spongy/creamy 1-1/2 finger high tan head. Clumpy but consistent lacing.

S: MMM...cherries! Rich ripe cherries, very juicy. The smell wafted from the glass when it arrived. Whenever it subsided, I'd agitate the glass some more and let that sweet smell rise again. Wonderful, I didn't find it to be 'artificial' or 'medician' smelling at all. Yum.

T: Hmmm...not quite as good as I'd hoped for. Cherry flavor is pretty subdued. A robust, moderately bitter stout, with flavors of dark roasted malt, citrus hops and coffe beans is what I get. Mild cherry/fruit in the finish with a light sourness and some alcohol warmth.

M: Chewy and full mouthfeel. Fairly heavily carbonated, so the flavors that linger seem to cling and tingle a little.

D: Likable, bordering on lovable. I enjoy the bold beers that Walking Man brews - this is a nice example of a well-crafted, interesting stout from what is one of the NW's top breweries IMO. Not my favorite from their line-up, but definitely not one to be missed either. Absolutely worthy of a try.

4.07/5  rDev +10.6%

I chose a pint of this fruited stout for dessert after a healthy serving of Walking Man's famous pizza. That proved to be a good choice, and I was rewarded with a strong dark ale bursting with black cherry flavor. The aroma was particularly striking in this regard. Walking Man's menu claims this beer "tastes like Black Forest cake." They make a good point here, for the black cherries are all over this beer. They are co-stars, not walk-ons, and the flourish of chocolate flavor from the stout base delivers a well-composed complement. The stout elements are ultimately subservient to the fruit, but serve as a sound counterpoint.

I was prepared to dislike this beer, for the concept at first struck me as a bit of a stretch. I just wasn't convinced that a cherry stout was going to work. But it did. It worked quite well, though I've also had this beer at pubs in Portland when its freshness was not assured and it didn't resonate nearly as favorably on those occasions. I was tempted for a moment to compare the taste to flavored cough syrup, but that would just be my mind running away with me, making comparisons because it can. The truth of it is, this beer, when fresh, is a hearty flavorful ale that works well for dessert or anytime you might care for dark, fruity ale.

First had: on tap at their brewpub

Poured an opaque black with a huge tan head that displayed nice lacing. Really nice aroma of cherry cordial...natural, no cough syrup or cherry candy here. Taste was initially very bready with a huge beautiful hit of black cherries right up front, with a solid, sweet, dark malt base. I know it's difficult to brew a successful blend of fruit with dark beers such as stouts. Several breweries have tried, and not all are good. Even Bells Cherry Stout is a little meh. But this one is definitely done right, and the natural smell and taste just add to its goodness. Smooth and rich, but not quite full-bodied, this is a very drinkable beer.

I had the Black Cherry on a recent visit to the Horse Brass (11/21) and I really enjoyed it. Maybe WM shipped some bad stuff to them in the past or something, I noticed the two negative reviews were both from there, and if I had seen Bultrey's review before I went out there I'd have skipped it (since I know him and all that). But in my innocence I had a pint...

It definitely had a pronounced black cherry flavor but I did not find it syrupy, I actually found it to be a bit thin for a stout, maybe even a bit closer to a heavy porter in consistency. The chocolate malt mixed nicely with the cherry flavor, tasty and not overpowering. It was also fairly well carbonated with a good-sized head, I guess they could have turned up the gas (?) As with all fruity beers it's probably too sweet to lend itself to repetitive drinking but it's worth a couple pints for sure.

Pint glass at Henry's in Portland.

On a second pint at Horse Brass this beer taste like utter cough syrup and was disgusting. I'm guessing the other reviewers had the same experience. At Henry's, the beer did not suffer the fake cherry flavor. This review is from the Henry's trial.

appearance - black, moderate head that dissipates quick, some lacing

smell - cherries, malt, chocolate

taste - sweet and fresh cherries, chocolate malt

mouthfeel - medium body, creamy, smooth

drinkability - smooth drinking for 7.2 abv, flavorful cherries, very rich and delicious in its simplicity

This pours a dark black that lets no light through. A deep brown lacy head stays for a bit and then drops.

The cherry smell is followed by deep chocolate malt. This has a fairly heavy aroma once it warms up form the tap.

It has a big taste. Chocolate covered cherries. It hit sweet and hard. Then just stays and stays. This gives way to a light bitterness.

This is an after dinner beer to be sipped like a fine port. I let this warm up and finish a session. Room temp is great.

Take a growler of this home with you.

3.98/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured into a Fremont small snifter. Pours a very dark mahogany brown, appearing nearly opaque black in the glass with a thin khaki head that dissipates to patches with light lacing. Aroma of dark toasted malt with a hint of char, coffee, light fresh cherries and strawberries (!?). Flavor is dark toasted malt with notable char, boiled coffee, dark chocolate and light cherry juice. Finishes with charred malt, coffee and a light burst of cherry. Medium bodied with light creaminess. A nice charry, toasty stout with a nice light addition of authentic tasting cherry. Much drier than I expected, with only a little sweetness, mostly in the bright cherry flavor. After reading the other reviews, I'm not sure if the recipe has been changed this year; it does not seem to me to be the sweet fruit stout some have reviewed. The malt feels like a dry stout malt with some oatmeal character. The mild sweetness seems totally associated with the cherry juice, which is deftly handled. I don't like sourness in stouts and almost didn't buy this one, but no worries; the cherry flavors are well melded and there is little or no tartness. Enjoyable. Bottle is labeled as "Cherry Stout", I confirmed with the brewery that this is exactly the same as the Black Cherry Stout; the name was shortened on the bottle due to Washington State label approval issues.

3.94/5  rDev +7.1%

On tap, imperial pint. Body is quite black with just a skim of head. Minimal lacing.

Doesn't look like much, but it sure smells good. Very strong cherry mixes and mingles with dark chocolate and roasted malts. Damned tasty, too, with the cherry proving to be an excellent complement to dark and sweet chocolate, roasted malts and a hint of vanilla.

Mouthfeel is thick, with lingering sweet chocolate and cherry at the swallow. Nice brew from a great small brewery.

3.92/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.82/5  rDev +3.8%

Ah, my first Walking Man beer. I was hoping it'd be Homo Erectus, but this will do.

Black with a thin, black head that recedes to a thin disk, this looks good. Dark cherry red highlights are visible. The nose is excellent. It marries quite perfectly the combination of roast, rich, ripe black cherries, fragrant and complex, with some dark chocolate and a little licorice. The cherry character is particularly fantastic, as it has all the complexity you'd expect from a black cherry. The palate opens with a blend of fruity cherries and some roast. A mildly acidic (grainy) character appears on the mid-palate and lingers on into the finish. Licorice and chocolate are also present, though the union of chocolate and cherry is a little less harmonious than on the nose. Mild bitterness on the finish, this beer is medium in body and hides the alcohol very, very well. Smooth on the palate, this is a beer I can recommend with no qualifications

Cherry Stout from Walking Man Brewing Co.