Bert Grant's Scottish Ale | Yakima Brewing Co. / Bert Grant's Ales

3.31/5
Alströms:

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
2.7/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I have tried one other of Yakima’s brews and it has lasted as probably my favorite dark ale of all time. I was hoping the trend would continue with this offering. I was not completely disappointed, but not really pleased. The full body of this ale is smooth and supports the malt profile well. The aggressive hopping with Cascade hops to give it a more American character bites too deeply into the flavor and ruins what could be a great balance. This brew is quite drinkable, but not near a favorite.

2.75/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours with a cola-fizzy head and it dissipated almost as fast. Nice amber colored body. The aroma is sweet malt, citrusy hops. Flavor is like that of the bastard child of an APA and an ESB. A slight sourness to the aroma and flavor. Slick moutfeel. Basically, they've taken a pretty run-of-the-mill APA and labeled it as a scottish ale. Being not even a really good APA and a horrendous halfassed attempt at a Scottish I can't give this a very high rating. I will say that it's not a bad beer, though.

3.43/5  rDev +3.6%

This beer poured a dark amber color and formed a nice head that faded quickley but left some lace. There was a medium amount of carbonation. The aroma was of hops and slightly of malt. The flavor was of hops and some malt. The finish was slightly bitter. It really didn't remind me of a scotch ale at all. Was closer to a pale ale or IPA in my opinion.

2.91/5  rDev -12.1%

Clear orange to amber color, off white thin fizzy head that didn't last. Very off, nearly skunked smell. Initial hop taste set me back, I was expecting lots of toasted carmel, peat, and earthy smells. Tasted alot like a plain old English Pale Ale. Bitter hop taste lasted and dominated the taste. Light to medium body. Bottom of the glass was thin and watery. Drinkable, but I expected more carmel malt taste and a fuller bodied beer. I am glad I tried it, but will probably not reach for it again.

2.16/5  rDev -34.7%

Amber/Orange color, little head. Unpleasant aroma. Crisp, malt, fruity and bitter. Too hoppy for my taste. Unbalanced. This beer seemed to be having a battle in my mouth as far as flavor, which made it an unpleasant experience for myself. Maybe I just had a bad six pack or maybe it was the style. I will have to try a different Scottish Ale.

3.62/5  rDev +9.4%

Presentation: 12oz brown twist bottle. Brown and red label with a traditional Scottish lion on the label. No freshness date. "A rich, real ale in the tradition of Scotland, hoppy in the tradition of Yakima.", is stated beneath the lion.

Appearance: Brown, orange, tawny hues in the colour with a semi-bubbly, wispy white lace.

Smell: Malt, grain and fruit aromas dominate the nose.

Taste: Up-front, it's hops all the way. Leafy, spicy, tingly, teeth zinging and herbal in its flavour. Not overly bitter mind you, as the bitterness is secondary, stepping aside to let the flavour do battle. The traditional Scottish Ale malt flavour that one might expect is not present. Instead, it appears as a thin casualty with some steely crystal malt and a bit of grain dryness in the aftertaste.

Notes: This brew is a war between hop flavour and malt. The hops win obviously, thus, making it not a Scottish Ale; in taste and in style. It has a lovely hop profile and would make a great American style ESB, or the like, if their marketing guru's had any sense. 4.7%abv

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last