Bert Grant's Hopzilla IPA | Yakima Brewing Co. / Bert Grant's Ales

Style: American IPA

Added by Gusler on 02-01-2004

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
3.8/5  rDev +3%

Very grassy. It has a very light color with little to no head. The aroma is a grassy earthy hop aroma with little malt aroma. It has a very light body, a little too thin. The malt flavor is there although I think with the heavy hoppiness there needs to be a little more malt and body. The bitterness is nice and stong. It has a very heavy hop taste that is too grassy. Not as well balanced as I expect but still good.

3.97/5  rDev +7.6%

Special thanks to Doug (pop-in-law) for getting some of this for us. Talk about a surprise delivery.

From a 22oz sample bottle, it poured a deep hazy straw with just the slighted red hues when held at certain angles to the light. There was no head, but a slight fuzz on top. The carbonation was somewhat weak, but I'd expect that considering the circumstances.

The aroma was strong and grassy, like a centennial or other strong bittering hop. Thoughts of bales of cut alfalfa come to mind. The taste has a similar hop presence to the aroma - big grassy hop which sticks to the palate. Its a domineering flavor, and there is enough malt body backing it up to not make too much.

It drinks well, and has that intense hoppiness that makes me just salivate for more. Fortunately I have more. I'll probably update this once its a bit older. I really hope to try it on cask when in Yakima.

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last