Rise Up IPA

Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 5 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by biiru_ojisan:
biiru_ojisan from Japan

3.09/5  rDev -13.7%

Picked this up at a local liquor store for around 250 yen (~$2.30), which is fairly inexpesive for IPAs in Japan (usually $5-$10 per can, I've become jealous of $20 4-packs).

Poured a crystal clear dark gold with a thick, creamy off-white head.

Aroma is very malt forward. Biscuit with a notes of orange marmalade. I light touch of strawberry.

Flavor is also quite malt forward. The biscuity notes are actually quite nice. The bitterness does have a bit of a metallic bite to it that isn't super great. The hop profile is pretty low, with some light orangey notes and that hint of strawberry.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Leaves the corners of the mouth a touch sticky. Alcohol warmth is present, but not invasive.

Overall, this is about what I'd expect in this price range. It would be a stretch to call this a bad beer, and I'd love to see if it comes across better with a more fresh example. Good for the price, but nothing impressive.

Jul 14, 2020
Walnut from Missouri

3.65/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Dec 31, 2018
mpenske from California

3.75/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Nov 27, 2018
kofukasho from Japan

3.1/5  rDev -13.4%

Nov 09, 2017
monkist from Hungary

4.3/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Haven't had an IPA for over a month or two (sad but true) so when I came across this Rise Up IPA from Echigo I was more than glad to drink it. I've known their earlier IPA (Flying IPA, the one with the cool dragon graphics like on Caballero's 80's decks) but at that time I wasn't overly impressed - maybe because I still had the luxury to drink real US craft.
Now as times have changed, I came to a point in life now in JP that real craft or good beer is not that abundant anymore - and this makes me long for real US-made IPAs and in the end, makes me appreciate any effort of trying to reproduce one.
If Stone or Sierra made this, it would be a letdown but here and now I was glad to have an IPA that has at least some resemblance to a West Coast IPA. Really fruity in the nose and quite light in the body, which is balanced in the end by the bitterness that becomes more and more dominant as you drink it.
Altogether I was pleased with this beer, found nothing against it. It might not be a Real American Hero but still a worthwile try from Japan.

Feb 21, 2019