Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Fujizakura Rauchbier | Fujikankokaihatsu Co. Ltd. / Sylvans Restaurant

fuji-net.co.jp

Style: Rauchbier

Added by Naerhu on 06-30-2005

3.48/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

300ml keg at Raku Beer, Hiroshima, Japan (¥800):
This one was definitely a beer that surprised me & went down far easier than I'd expected, particularly considering how little I've enjoyed pretty much ever other rauchbier that I've tried. The nose & taste thankfully weren't as pronounced or overpowering as I'd anticipated, there was a lot coming through but it seemed more balanced with this one & the bread malts helped things in that department too. Further on & some earthy malts made a surprising appearance which helped this one to become the only rauchbier I've managed to finish & it's by far the best of the style that I've ever tried too.

2.08/5  rDev -45.3%

Unexpected flavor that was harsh. Maybe atypical, but I am not a fan. Their Weitzen is wonderful.

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

4.21/5  rDev +10.8%

Bought in Kawaguchi Japan and enjoyed in the train station there waiting to go home after a splendid visit to Mt. Fuji.

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

A: The beer is amber with a tan head.

S: Smoked sausage with roasted malt and dark bread. Never thought I would use the term "barbequed pork" in a beer review but there it is.

T: Big smoky favor. Good notes of burning wood and smoked meat. Smoke is not as in your face as many rauchbiers - not inhaling campfire smoke, but just being outside at a barbeque. Some balancing hop in there, slightly spicy. Dark bready malt to hold it all together.

Overall, one of the better rauchbiers I've had. Less smoke and more smoked flavor is that makes any sense. Definitely recommended if you can find it. I'm glad I did.

3.79/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

a - dark copper, two fingers of light, tan head

s - german malts, smoked meat, crisp/tart to the nose

t - smokey malts but not very complex otherwise

m - very carbonated but not stinging. smooth and crisp.

o - not complex but doesn't really need to be. smokiness isn't overpowering, enjoyable easy-drinking rauchbier

3.25/5  rDev -14.5%

3.56/5  rDev -6.3%

Dark brown in color with a khaki head. Aroma of smoked fish, soy sauce, and salt. A light almond aroma, some bacon, and toasted bread. Flavor is a little less "fishy". Good smoke character, a hint of bacon, salt, meat, and wood. Toasted bread, light chocolate, and a subtle sweetness to it.

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

4.1/5  rDev +7.9%

Tastes almost exactly like smoked sausages, only it's a beer. If you like the taste of smoked meat, you'll probably like this.

In addition to the smokiness, has a slight sourness and thirst-quenching piquant character that's just really nice, and helps keep the smoked flavor from being too overpowering. The result is interesting, more subtle and nuanced than one might think initially, and very drinkable; a 500ml bottle goes down very quickly

Somewhat weak carbonation, and very little head, but enough to help make it thirst-quenching. Color is like a dark caramel.

A really nice beer (it's the best from Fujizakura I think)!

3.52/5  rDev -7.4%

Bottle at Mondial, not the later tap at DDC. Dark brown with a little white head. There is smoke in the aroma. An average mouthfeel. Drinkable smoked beer, less interesting than what I like and am used to. Not getting bold flavour, rather just.. smoke.

4.05/5  rDev +6.6%

A cool little rauchbier that I found on tap at Club Popeye in Tokyo.

The beer arrives a deep ruby red with a small off-white head. Light smoke aroma with some mineral qualities. The flavour made me imagining a loaf of wholewheat bread baked in a wood-burning oven. Lots of bready wholegrain malts are supported by a light smokiness. An earlier reviewer was correct when he said this leans away from meatiness and more toward coal. The mouthfeel is smooth and very mildly carbonated. In spite of lacking a meaty flavour, it has a meaty mouthfeel. Good drinkability. I prefer rauchs as halves, and not pints, but I think I could have another of these without any problems.

All in all, a great little package - different to other smoked beers I've had, but with its own admirable character.

3.93/5  rDev +3.4%

On tap at Beer Club Popeye in Ryogoku, Tokyo.

Been a long time since I had a good rauchbier, and I'm glad this one lived up to my expectations! Poured a very dark brown with a huge fluffy head. Aroma and flavour are very coal or charcoal like, rather than some of the 'meatier' rauchs I've had previously. Nice solid mouthfeel. Drinkability is average for the style (which isn't really that drinkable in general, IMO).

4.24/5  rDev +11.6%

A - deep dark crimson red with a tight off-white head.
S - lightly smokey beer, with zippy maltyness
T - Lightly smokey, slightly sweet with rich dark pumpernickel maltyness. Almost no bitterness. The smokeyness is restrained for the style, but it works for me.
M - This is one silky beauty. Micro carbonation, lovely.
D - This beer is so well integrated its amazing. It is unbelievably rich, yet mild in everyway.

Fujizakura Rauchbier from Fujikankokaihatsu Co. Ltd. / Sylvans Restaurant