Ise Kadoya Genmai Ale | Nikenjayamochi Kadoya Honten Co. / Ise Kadoya Brewery

Ise Kadoya Genmai AleIse Kadoya Genmai Ale

Nikenjayamochi Kadoya Honten Co. / Ise Kadoya Brewery
Japan | website

Style: English Brown Ale

Brown ale brewed with brown rice.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-30-2009

3.7

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 30 | Ratings: 35
3.29/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks Presario. A rice beer with brown malts. Pours grapefruit colour with lotsa white head. A distinct barnyard, but not much of that in the taste. Leaves a lot of lace, the carbonation is there and it is drinkable this beer. Not a ot of mouthfeel.

3.24/5  rDev -12.4%

Comes in an elegent tall 500 ml brown bottle. Pours out a cloudy amber hue, quick splash of off-white head.

Something comes off as tart and sharp at first in the aroma but quickly subsides as toasted notes replace it and remain predominant. Toasty, husky grains in the background.

Grainy, leathery, toasted malt, toasted rice/popcorn flavour in the middle, bitter leafy herbal hops on finish along with astringent tannins.

Light slick watery mouthfeel, low carbonation with a higher zip on the finish.

Curious experiment, and I'm a big fan of genmaicha tea, however it doesn't seem to gel together within this ale, far more dischord than harmony with all the seperate elements, and as a result it affects the overall experience.

3.06/5  rDev -17.3%

A - The beer pours a copper color. Very tight head.

S - This beer smells exactly like mugicha. I really think this is the best way to describe the smell.

T - The genmai flavor is very pronounced. Brown rice, sweet bread, toasted grains.

M - Medium bodied. A bit acrid.

D - Honestly, since I think it smells and tastes like mugicha, I'd rather just have mugicha. With that said, I'm glad I tried it and encourage others to do so as well. The Shelton Bros. are bringing some very interesting Japanese beers into their portfolio.

The beer that I'm drinking bears very little resemblance to what others are reviewing. I'm suspecting that my bottle went bad. The aroma is a bit vinegary and smells too much like a wild ale to not suspect the beer is compromised. The beer I'm tasting is a long long stretch away from an English Pale Ale. It is plenty carbonated, with the tart, wild ale type tastes with a touch of Brett yeast. I'm getting very little malty mid section, or funky brown rice, or anything else that others commented upon. I will re-review this beer after I get another batch. For now, it gets straight 3s as a default.

2.78/5  rDev -24.9%

This was highly carbonated as evidenced when opened as it made a bit of a mess as I quickly poured it into my glass. This was a bit carbonated for my taste which killed the moutfeel. It has a thick off-white foam and is a nice amber color to it.

I didn't really know what to expect when I picked this up, but I wasn't pleasantly surprised, unfortunately. It just had a weird tart-funkiness to the taste that I did not enjoy, I believe it is the brown rice. This flavor came across in the scent as well.

I didn't dump it, it is decently drinkable, just not something I would get again.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Ise Kadoya Genmai Ale from Nikenjayamochi Kadoya Honten Co. / Ise Kadoya Brewery