Ise Kadoya Genmai Ale | Nikenjayamochi Kadoya Honten Co. / Ise Kadoya Brewery

Nikenjayamochi Kadoya Honten Co. / Ise Kadoya Brewery
Japan
isekadoya.com

Style: English Brown Ale

Brown ale brewed with brown rice.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-30-2009

3.7

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
3.5/5  rDev -5.4%

This beer pours the color of sweet ice tea, with OK head retention and decent lacing. The nose is pretty malty, with something of a brown sugar and milk chocolate aroma. The flasvor profile replicates the nose in this moderately sweet ale. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, with something of a light, slightly watery finish. Drinkability is decent, with the alcohol well disguised. I wish this beer had a bit more flavor, but nevertheless, it's a decent beer. However, given the price tag for this beer, I believe I'll stick with the cheaper and better domestic versions I can find in this country (or from the UK).

3.47/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Explodes out of bottle with a five+ finger cream head that fades slowly to a thin layer, leaving some lace. Cloudy amber color, floaties in glass. Medium carbonation and medium bodied. Smells like a hay barn. Flavor is brown rice and hay. Not bad, different from anything I've had. This is not an English Pale Ale but rather a specialty grain. Wicked pricey at $8.45 for a 500ml bottle from Colonial Spirits Acton, Ma.

3.44/5  rDev -7%

Mixed feeling on this one.

Appearance: Very foamy thick, white head. Retained well over time. Orange-brown copper and cloudy.

Smell: Citrusy, some spice.

Taste: Orange/grapefruit, vanilla, spicy hops. I get a lot of curry flavors - primarily cumin, ginger, tumeric.

Mouthfeel: Overcarbonated. It bubbles and bubbles in your mouth that you have to let it sit before you can really start tasting the beer.

Drinkability: There's an interesting balance and array of flavors, but the carbonation on this (at least from this bottle) was too much to make it very drinkable.

3.33/5  rDev -10%

Sleek half-litre brown bottle, the only English indication of the beer style held within a small mailing label, which lends an air of the exotic, given that I can't read Japanese.

This beer pours a hazy medium copper hue, with three fingers of creamy off-white head, which leaves a ring of lace around the glass as it recedes. It smells of steamed wild rice, a bit vegetal, with some funky weediness. The taste is toasted rice husk, an earthy mustiness, and mild weedy hops. The carbonation is soft, the body medium weight, and it finishes a bit off-dry, musty and herbal.

Definitely something new for me, and hard to compare to anything else I've had, except for maybe sake. Not bad, at least a good example of using rice in the beer-making process.

3.29/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks Presario. A rice beer with brown malts. Pours grapefruit colour with lotsa white head. A distinct barnyard, but not much of that in the taste. Leaves a lot of lace, the carbonation is there and it is drinkable this beer. Not a ot of mouthfeel.

3.25/5  rDev -12.2%

3.24/5  rDev -12.4%

Comes in an elegent tall 500 ml brown bottle. Pours out a cloudy amber hue, quick splash of off-white head.

Something comes off as tart and sharp at first in the aroma but quickly subsides as toasted notes replace it and remain predominant. Toasty, husky grains in the background.

Grainy, leathery, toasted malt, toasted rice/popcorn flavour in the middle, bitter leafy herbal hops on finish along with astringent tannins.

Light slick watery mouthfeel, low carbonation with a higher zip on the finish.

Curious experiment, and I'm a big fan of genmaicha tea, however it doesn't seem to gel together within this ale, far more dischord than harmony with all the seperate elements, and as a result it affects the overall experience.

3.06/5  rDev -17.3%

A - The beer pours a copper color. Very tight head.

S - This beer smells exactly like mugicha. I really think this is the best way to describe the smell.

T - The genmai flavor is very pronounced. Brown rice, sweet bread, toasted grains.

M - Medium bodied. A bit acrid.

D - Honestly, since I think it smells and tastes like mugicha, I'd rather just have mugicha. With that said, I'm glad I tried it and encourage others to do so as well. The Shelton Bros. are bringing some very interesting Japanese beers into their portfolio.

The beer that I'm drinking bears very little resemblance to what others are reviewing. I'm suspecting that my bottle went bad. The aroma is a bit vinegary and smells too much like a wild ale to not suspect the beer is compromised. The beer I'm tasting is a long long stretch away from an English Pale Ale. It is plenty carbonated, with the tart, wild ale type tastes with a touch of Brett yeast. I'm getting very little malty mid section, or funky brown rice, or anything else that others commented upon. I will re-review this beer after I get another batch. For now, it gets straight 3s as a default.

2.78/5  rDev -24.9%

This was highly carbonated as evidenced when opened as it made a bit of a mess as I quickly poured it into my glass. This was a bit carbonated for my taste which killed the moutfeel. It has a thick off-white foam and is a nice amber color to it.

I didn't really know what to expect when I picked this up, but I wasn't pleasantly surprised, unfortunately. It just had a weird tart-funkiness to the taste that I did not enjoy, I believe it is the brown rice. This flavor came across in the scent as well.

I didn't dump it, it is decently drinkable, just not something I would get again.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Ise Kadoya Genmai Ale from Nikenjayamochi Kadoya Honten Co. / Ise Kadoya Brewery