Grolsch Premium Lager | Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V.

Grolsch Premium LagerGrolsch Premium Lager

grolsch.nl

Style: Euro Pale Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

Ratings: 1,874 |  Reviews: 668

So far the best Lager I've had. Very smooth great tast. I love this beer.

This excellent lager is getting a bad rap due to improper handling. The beer is dated 12 months from bottled date. I find it is best with at least 5 -6 months left. If you buy this beer fresh and it was not subject to being cold then warm then back to cold again - there is NO skunk smell or taste! I am sick of reading about the skunk in this beer when it does not exist. I have been drinking this beer for over 25 years and I can tell you I have tried a ton of beers out there. Yes, I have had a skunk case and have reported it to the seller and if they don't change it I buy it elsewhere where it is fresh. I am happy to say I have a local source and every case is excellent with absolutely no skunk whatsoever. This is not a complex beer compared to the thousands of varieties out there today. It is just an excellent, classic, fresh tasting, satisfying European lager, since 1615, that goes excellent with food (cheese) or as a stand alone. It wins several awards for it's vegan attributes and I have never had a hangover or an upset stomach from this beer. I cannot say that for other beers I have consumed. I have had nights where I drank a few more than I should have and am able to wake up fresh and ready to go. It is because this beer is made with the finest ingredients and mountain spring water. Awesome beer through and through if you get it fresh.

I love this beer!!!

4.75/5  rDev +52.7%

4.74/5  rDev +52.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The best beer in the world

4.68/5  rDev +50.5%

A: dark straw and bordering amber, Grolsch is quite a bit darker than other Euro Pale Lagers (EPLs). Based on this, and that the brew doesn't show prominent caramel tones, I would venture to say that Grolsch has endured a multi-decoction mash.

S: bouquet is upfront, expressing spicy continental hops and a sharp, sulfury yeast bite.

T: taste is bordering that of a good Czech pils, except a touch sweeter. Grolsch is quite dry, but not completely, with tones of grain, sulfer, and many layers of hops.

M: light, but chewy on the palate. I'm willing to bet that they took after Urquel and used proteins and complex carbs to achieve a brew that was full on the palate while maintaining dryness.

D: the best EPL I've had by far. I would be willing to day that it is due to Grolsch bearing more resemblance to the German and Czech pilsners than the often lower quality ELPs. Regardless of style assignment, Grolsch is a well crafted and delightful beer well worth a try.

4.64/5  rDev +49.2%

Good tasted
Good scent
Good color
Beef it's not strong but it's not for everybody

4.6/5  rDev +47.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Sampled in a single-blind format with bottles of Aass, St. Pauli Girl, Heineken, Bitburger and Warsteiner.
I formerly had given this beer a 4.3 overall, but in a tasting with its peers, it became obvious how exceptional it really is. Before the identity of this beer was revealed I guessed it to be Aass.
Fine intermittent bubbles lead to a good blanket of foam on top. Roasty, malty nose with some fresh, sticky hop aromatics (the only beer in this lineup that featured fresh hop aromatics, by the way. Something I consider essential to the style.) The attack is round and dry and suggests toasted starch. Nutty. Driving, nutshell flavors carries through to the finish, fueled by good hop extraction. Seamless development of flavors with toasty caramel and ripe grain notes throughout. This beer had the longest finish of the set at more than 10 seconds!
I am told that this beer is unpasteurized, unlike Heineken. Also, the 12oz. format has always tasted fresher than the 17oz. swing-tops I've sampled

4.52/5  rDev +45.3%

I hate county music. It annoys me. For me, I much prefer more extreme, heavy music. Then a certain song by Garth Brooks comes along (no idea the name of it) that my wife plays all the time, and for some reason I really like that one song. I don't like any others, but I really dig that song. Similarily, lagers are really boring to me for the most part. I like extreme beers, like my music. Now, unlike county music it don't HATE lagers, but they usually don't stand out to me like a stout or barleywine often does. Grolsch is my exception. I LOVE Grolsch. From the moment I pop off the top I can smell that smell I know so well. There's a distinctive taste that no other lager has like a Grolsch; slightly sweet at first, finishing with an even slighter hoppiness. Simple, very drinkable, fantastic.

4.49/5  rDev +44.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Ice cold, this s*** is taaaaaasteeeeeeree. Yum!!!!!!!!

4.47/5  rDev +43.7%

This is my third favorite beer, but it is hard to find here, where I am. I prefer it in the green glass cork topped bottle.

4.47/5  rDev +43.7%

Pretty decent beer. It is dark in color and not much carbonation. At first you get a smell of skunk which has a nice finish of hops! It taste really good with quite the bite of hops. The mouthfeel is great very balanced which makes for perfect drinkability!!

4.45/5  rDev +43.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is a solid lager. Loved it. It has a gorgeous color and hop smell. It sustains its head one-inch head for long periods following the pour. And it dazzles the taste buds without lingering in aftertaste. Well done!

Of course, one immedidate difference about Grolsch Premium Lager is its "swing top" cap and green bottle. Somewhere out there are any number of Summa Cum Laude beer geeks who will be able to tell me the benefits of capping a bottle of beer with a porcelain stopper instead of an aluminum cap. I will take a guess that it is all about the taste (versus the nostalgic look of an antique container), and I say that because I prefer bottle-beer to can-beer due to the same reasons -- I swear, I can taste the difference when a beer comes from a can. But whatever the justification, it is apparent that a beer with a porcelain stopper is something a bit out of the ordinary, and therefore, something of a curiosity as it sits there on the shelf. Hmmm, you say to yourself. Then, perhaps a little cynically, you wonder if it a just gimmick to sell something mediocre.

Well, in the case of Grolsch Premium Lager, speculate no longer. It does not need fancy packaging to sell this product. Porcelain cap or not, I could slurp it up from the palms of my hands if all the glasses in the world were suddenly smashed. Delicious!

With Respect for Beer,
MikeInIowa

4.43/5  rDev +42.4%

I've enjoyed this beer for years and years. In college a big treat was to get this in a pint bottle with a cheeseburger and fries, and I'd return to classes with a bit of a buzz. At that time, lo those many years ago, it was a bit exotic, a European beer with far more taste than what would usually be offered. And wow, what was that? Hops, you say? Fantastic!

Poured into a tumbler it forms a small head that dissipates and leaves little lacing. The appearance is of a slightly darker straw color and crystal clear. The aroma is of faint floral hops and perhaps a little maltiness. The taste is of slight malt sweetness and mild to moderate hop bitterness. It has a bittersweet finish with moderate carbonation. My favorite session beer for old times sake.

Grolsch Premium Lager from Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V.
Beer rating: 3.11 out of 5 with 1,874 ratings