Grolsch Premium Lager | Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V.

Read the review
Grolsch Premium LagerGrolsch Premium Lager

Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V.

Style: Euro Pale Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

Reviews: 663 | Ratings: 1,811
3.33/5  rDev +7.4%

As usual the grolsch beers look very underwhelming. AAL level gold appearance, nice 3/4" white head. Aroma is super skunk, possibly the most, ever.

Taste keeps hitting the skunk notes like I'm into. Light bodied but just tons of yeast skunk. That really all there is here, there is barely any hops or malt to the beer, its a total one trick pony.

3.34/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

The beer is a clear straw color and had a thin head that lasted most of the drink. Medium amount of carbonation. The aroma is very mild. I get a toasted malt sweetness with a very light hint of floral hops. The taste is still a sweet toasted begin but the bitterness of the hops come through more. The beer is thin and does leave my mouth a little dry.

4.1/5  rDev +32.3%

Another beer evidently misunderstood, and yet another good beer DESTROYED by it's green packaging. I haven't had this in quite some time. Been wailin' on the Marzen lagers. But yesterday after i work went to my local liquor store and saw a four pack of their resealable 16oz bottles in the cooler. I went INTO the cooler from behind, and grabbed a 4 pack that was completely in the dark. The last time I drank this was in MO. circa 2005. It was completely skunky and tasted like crap! This was BEFORE I became more educated about how to buy beer, especially imports that are brewed in accordance with the German purity law. Anyway, got home, grabbed my favorite beer mug, popped open the top... (pop!) With a drum roll rattling in my head...I slowly placed my nose over the freshly opened beer and took a sniff... YES...nice and fresh smelling with ZERO skunk aroma. I poured it into my glass in a way to exude a nice, bright white..3 finger head...let it settle...and YES...DELICIOUS lager! This beer is smooth...very clean. This is just a straight up lager...a great example of what all AMERICAN lagers should be, One thing came to my mind: BALANCE. Nothing to sharp up front, nothing lingering in the end...and in the middle..just pure, bubbly larger brew flavor. Not as good as the Hofbrau lager...but the quality was on the same level. BTW...the head hung around for nearly half the pint's consumption...and eventually settled to a beautiful..stew like foam on top of the beer with plenty of lacing on the glass. I must once again reiterate...and this is to those whom rate the beer's flavor based on it being spoiled...thus 'skunky'... IF IT IS SKUNK IT IS JUNK! If you want to try this beer ENSURE it has not been light struck...it will suck if it is.

2.65/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

45cl beautifull bottle, 6.0°C; Clear gold when poured, left almost no head and has no retention at all. The color is pleasant to the eye. The smell was preety dull. This pecimen revealed no signs of the so called skunk, but was preety flat, almost no signs of hops aroma and only hints of its faded maltiness. The feel was preety unsurprising, a very Heinekenish experience. The taste reveals the climax of a very banal experience. Very mineral taste only with a bit of a malty ending. All in all, an acceptable beer to drink with your grandpa on a cloudy sunday afternoon, watching a game of bowls on Eurosport. A banal experience. Expected a bit more due to the hypeness of the beer. Would not go for the second, worth the money cause I keptthe fancy bottle. Cheers!

1.59/5  rDev -48.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

The bottle is so damn neat (ornate molded glass, and swing top lid). It is super clear with a straw color, and a wonderful fluffy head. Smells terrible! Smell is that of sunburned beer (skunk butt). Taste is skunky, and sweet. I want to like it because it is unique... Alas I do not. Feel is very carbonated, fluffy almost. The beer almost seems like it "reacts" to saliva and foams up in te mouth... Interesting. Interesting and unique beer, that would be wonderful if only there was some more malt and hops flavors and smells, and if the beer was just a little less skunky.

3.2/5  rDev +3.2%

Appearance: Amber, clear, and a trace of white lacing. 16 oz green bottle with an EZ cap.

Smell: Sweet, citrus, herbal

Taste: Sweet, sour, a little bitter, a little skunky.

Mouthfeel: Carbonated, light, and smooth.

Overall: It's a light, mild beer, but it has a kick of bitterness and it's easy to drink. It never
overpowers the tongue, and you can drink it all night long. When I'm in it for the long haul,
this is the kind of beer I want in front of me.

1.58/5  rDev -49%

I have been trying to sample a few news beers this year, this is one of the beers I wanted to sample.

Bad choice. Like so many other "beers" this is all about the hops. Hey folks, there are other ingredients. Really.

Too bitter and too minerally for my taste. After taste was flat. Not much character to it to talk about. Flat liner.

Those who like this beer, best of luck, you can have them all.

2.02/5  rDev -34.8%

Brewed in Holland, I love the corked bottles, though review this time is from can...

Used to drink this quite a bit as a youngster.

Amber colour, reasonable head.

Fairly uninspiring malty aroma.

Grolsch has quite a unique taste that fizzes around and changes for quite some time. It is a good bitterness, and quite a balanced flavor. Though it does not really stand out and has nothing to distinguish itself from about the other big 9 commercially produced lagers. Also, better from a corked bottle, definitely...

3.11/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

450 mL bottle into a Helles lager glass

A - Moderate pour produces a head that is 1 finger in height is a off white in color and a light foam in appearance. Head dissipates very quickly. The beer itself is clear and a golden straw in color with high carbonation easily visible (small bubbles rise very quickly towards the surface). 3.75/5

S - Aroma is chiefly malt with a bit of noble hops. Cheerios and Grape Nut O's stick out to me with a bit of corn and buttered white bread. Very light caramel sweetness. Strength of the aroma diminishes rather quickly. 2.75/5

T - Light malty sweetness on the front end with lightly toasted white bread and cereal with just a touch of caramel. Very light amount of pepper right before the hops come in. A bit of grassy hops on the back end come through and provide a light bitterness to finish things off. A touch of lemon and green apple come out with the grassy hops. 3.25/5

M - Moderate carbonation burn on the initial sip leads into a light and crisp mouthfeel that dries a bit on the back end and then disappears entirely upon swallowing. Light bodied, almost watery at times. 3.25/5

O - Enjoyable light beer, ideal for a warm day. Sessionable and fairly flavorful. I would put this up against Bud or High Light any day. 3/5

3.01/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Good head of foam, lively carbonation and a clear straw yellow colour. It looks how a pilsener should look like. Weak nose of bread and some skunk. Taste of bread again, with some pilsener hop bitterness in the finish. Refreshing but a tad watery. Just another uninspiring pilsener. Not bad, but nothing special going on here. They should get ris of the green bottles though: that might explain the skunk in the smell.

3.49/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

One of the few Euro lagers I believe I could pick out in a blind tasting. Not that I would bet on it, but with so many Euro lagers tasting similar to me Grolsch does have a dry, light bread note in the flavor profile that I find appealing. Along with the usual pale lager attributes of medium malt and hops in good balance.

Try it with the usual caveat of beware stale, skunky green bottles. If you're not sure of what you're getting then pass.

3.34/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Lovely bottle design. Grabbed one from my local LCBO in a 500ml can, poured into a Stein.

L: Bright golden straw, 2 fingers of foam that fades in about 45 seconds. Lots of bubbles after the pour, which last a few minutes. After 5 minutes most of the bubbles are gone.3.25

S: Grain and bread with slight hints of apple and pears. The after-smell is sweet, and grows on you as you consume the beer. 3.25

T: Begins with a sweet, apple like taste. Hints of roasted barely and lemon. The finish is slightly bitter. 3.5

F: medium-light and low carbonation. 3.25

O: 3.35

Overall, this is an excellent and refreshing beverage.

Bought it in the glass bottle, very cool look, with it's re-closable lid. At first this beer is relatively foamy, but it don't stay for a long period. After a coupe of minutes it is completely gone.

The smell is not that pronounced but you can taste the bitterness of the beer once in your mouth.

The color is a rich golden yellow, of about 3 on the SRM scale. The bitterness (IBU) should be around 15. ABV 5.0%

For the bottle of 450 ml I paid 3,50$ (CAD). Not that bad for a nice glass bottle.
This beer range in the middle of my personale beer tasting table.

3.43/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 500 ml green bottle.

Look - Clear, light golden-orange colour. Poured with a very thin layer of white head, which disappeared after 30 seconds. No lacing on the side of the glass. Moderate carbonation.

Smell - faint aroma of malt, bread, and hay. Hop aroma not evident.

Taste - malty, bready, hay, like smell. A bit cidery. Harsh bitterness that lingers long on the back of the tongue. Difficult to detect any flavour from the hops, possibly because the bitterness is a little over-balanced. Very dry, no sweetness detected. Right amount of carbonation.

Feel - light to medium-bodied, good carbonation.

Overall - in my opinion, the bitterness overbalances the malt. It would be better if the bittering hops were boiled for less time (e.g. 40 minutes) instead of full boil, in order to reduce some of the harsh bitterness, and if more flavour hops were introduced. I seem to remember it tasting much better several years ago. Did they change the recipe/process? It used to be one of my favourite premium pale lagers, but no longer.

This excellent lager is getting a bad rap due to improper handling. The beer is dated 12 months from bottled date. I find it is best with at least 5 -6 months left. If you buy this beer fresh and it was not subject to being cold then warm then back to cold again - there is NO skunk smell or taste! I am sick of reading about the skunk in this beer when it does not exist. I have been drinking this beer for over 25 years and I can tell you I have tried a ton of beers out there. Yes, I have had a skunk case and have reported it to the seller and if they don't change it I buy it elsewhere where it is fresh. I am happy to say I have a local source and every case is excellent with absolutely no skunk whatsoever. This is not a complex beer compared to the thousands of varieties out there today. It is just an excellent, classic, fresh tasting, satisfying European lager, since 1615, that goes excellent with food (cheese) or as a stand alone. It wins several awards for it's vegan attributes and I have never had a hangover or an upset stomach from this beer. I cannot say that for other beers I have consumed. I have had nights where I drank a few more than I should have and am able to wake up fresh and ready to go. It is because this beer is made with the finest ingredients and mountain spring water. Awesome beer through and through if you get it fresh.

4.39/5  rDev +41.6%

A pretty OK lager. Nice and crisp. Just slightly malty. Hops are bold up front with a pretty skunky taste accompanying. I'm not sure if this is an issue with the cans. I like the feel of the big fat bubbles in a Grolsch. I wish more beers came in these euro-style bottles. Sometimes I buy the beer just for those! Overall, it's a fairly well-balanced and very drinkable beer.

3.5/5  rDev +12.9%

Ok, side note to start, the bottle this came in was really cool. It was a green glass bottle with ceramic pop top lid. Pretty sweet.

But anyways, to the beer. This was actually really good for what it is. It had a great fresh from the farm type of flavor profile going on. Barley, grass, little bit of corn perhaps (but not like cruddy filler corn, actual sweet corn flavor), light fruit presence (apple maybe), floral hops, hint of a crisp hop finish.

I really kind of enjoyed this and could see drinking it again.

Would drink again: Yes
Would purchase again: Yes

3.01/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a nice light honey brown that looks particularly good for the style, with a decent white head that doesn't go away too fast and very active carbonation. The smell is sweet in a strange way, almost too strong. Not unpleasant, but decidedly not beer-y. The flavor carries that same sweetness; once more, it's not bad, but it's not what I'm usually looking for in a beer. Some hops and malt are identifiable as well. The feel is interesting; it's full, but also has some of that crisp sharpness from both the hops and the carbonation.

2.48/5  rDev -20%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

I pulled the green ceramic topped bottle from a fluorescent lighted cooler at the retailers. Poured into a pilsener glass.

L: It pours brilliant gold with a 1” rapidly dissipating foam cap.

S: Even as I pour I can smell the potent stench of skunk that masks any other aroma in the beer. Why am I reviewing this? The brewer should know better than to package a beer for export in a green bottle without using hops treated to avoid skunkiness. It’s the brewer’s fault.

T: I swirl the glass vigorously for several minutes to try to drive off the skunk, Some light malt comes through but the hops are muted with their alpha acids converted to 3-methyl-2-butene-1-thiol – aka skunk aroma.

F: Medium light body and medium carbonation.

O: This may have been a decent beer had the brewer not let the marketing department decide the packaging for the beer.

2.32/5  rDev -25.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I honestly don't know how to review this beer. The herb/spices used to make this beer give it a terrible odor. The odor is skunk people. The beer tastes good up front but leaves a skunky coppery finish and aftertaste. Will not purchase again.

2.61/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Years ago, my Uncle drank this. I didn't like the way it smelled then and the same could be said today, even after all of the beers I've had and reviewed on here. When I saw the 500th anniversary package for this in six-packs, I grabbed one just to have the sleeve for my collection. I don't know how I'm going to down the rest of these but this is beer and I"ll have to remind myself of that before braving another session of this stuff.

Typical pour for this style - golden, clear, and with some frothy head that quickly settled down. No lacing to be seen and not much of an aroma either. Sour grass, cracker, and cereal were in the nose with even more in the taste. I had no idea how beer that didn't expire until the spring tasted skunky but this fit the bill as the light hops gave way to a skunkiness that stuck around for way too long. Light and crisp, this beer could have used more carbonation to scrub everything away, as the flavors stuck around for way too long!

This fit the bill for a session beer but really, are you going to have more than one of these at a time? Buy it once just to say you've had it but don't be fooled - someone probably yelled out "gross!" upon first drinking it with the noise being uttered now the name by which we call this beer today. Only good on a hot day after mowing the lawn, or to test the limits of what you can handle. Not even a winner for this particular style.

4.32/5  rDev +39.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poor - from a 15.2 oz bottle - Nice poor, semi-aggressive poor produces a generous two finger, frothy head. It settles down rather quickly to a nice top lacing. No side lacing to speak of.

Appearance - Nice 18k gold, dark straw, medium amber. Clear with a good amount of carbonation.

Nose - Nice light bready/cereal/hay from the pilsner malt. Along with the hops which really come through. You can smell the Perle/Hallertau hop distinctly. Nice lemongrass, olive, and some spice; clove, coriander, ginger. Over all a medium nose that is definitely present and pleasant.

Mouthfeel - Excellent mouthfeel, a little fizzy, not much, a little watery but not bad; overall an extremely easy drinker.

Taste - With 30 IBU, there is a very nice medium bitterness to this lager that I really enjoy. The water tastes a little hard/mineral/slate making for a slight metallic tang. The malt for me is pushed back. There's a slight toasted barley but it's faint. Mostly just the hops. Floral, grassy, apple, pear; a little olive. This beer isn't sweet like a Heineken. Mostly sour, semi dry, dry fruit, lemon and grass/olive. Very nice.

Finish - Nice lasting medium bitter finish. Some bitterness on the sides of the tongue, mostly on the middle and back of the mouth/throat. Bitter/sour lemongrass and slate on the finish.

Overall - I've enjoyed many a Grolsch all over Europe. A very nice all time of day poor. I always try to keep some in my fridge.

Food Pairings - Olives, Gouda Cheese, Summer Sausage, Bratwurst, Currywurst, Pizza, Sauerkraut, Stroganoff, Mussels, lamb and most especially when it's in Gyro's.

Used to be one of my favorite beers, my how my tastes have changed. Has a bitter and slightly off putting taste. As it gets warmer it becomes less and less drinkable.

3.3/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Revisiting something from thepast i havent had in a while. Pours like fizzy yellow piss. Smell is actually quite nice. Crisp light hops with a touch of breadiness. This one isn't skunky...hooray! Taste is not so great. Still crisp with some light malt and cracker, it has just enough off flavor that you dont want to throw back multiple. If you've already had a few, it starts to taste fine again. Overall, I'd probably choose this over most other euro-lagers, but that's not a big compliment. If you get a skunked one, forget it

4.42/5  rDev +42.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours a light gold with a quickly dissipating head. Aroma is of sourdough pretzels. Taste is of bready malts. Medium bodied, well balanced, smooth and a medium high carbonation. I like this a lot for a lager. Could definitely drink more.

Grolsch Premium Lager from Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V.