Grolsch Premium Lager | Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V.

Read the review

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

3.1

Reviews: 660 | Ratings: 1,803
3.35/5  rDev +8.1%

Appearance: golden yellow with sturdy head
Smell: firm hops, and a unique smell, is it skunk? is it flint/metallic? I'm not sure but it cannot be ignored. It was annoying since I tasted it next to a smooth Munich lager.
Taste: ditto of smell, very fragrant but a little odd. I loved this beer the last time I tried it, so I'm giving it points for personality. I'm not sure I like the personality anymore
Mouthfeel: normal lager, nothing special
Drinkability: smooth drinker overall, if you can make friends with it's unique character

3.87/5  rDev +24.8%

Pale yellow body with small white and very sturdy lacing.
Fresh hop and pale malt aroma.

Good malt flavor with piney bitterness. There is something worth drinking here. Something juicey that was not in the bottle.

Nothing very exciting but a very decent brew. The freshness of hops in this beer definately carry the day.

4.02/5  rDev +29.7%

Pours a clear yellow, got to give it extra points for the nifty bottle though! ;)

Smells strongly of grain and yeast in a good way like very good fresh bread. Also has a malty smell.

Tastes very bready and thick for a lager. There is also an unusual elusive wheat taste here like pasta, strange but not unpleasant. Fairly hoppy, but not really bitter.

One of the thicker lagers, you almost want to chew it. I like German style beers so I LIKE to chew my beer! ;)

Very Drinkable.

3.91/5  rDev +26.1%

Pours to a clear golden nectar. Good lasting lacing. The lagering is quite apparent in the carbonation that rises slowly throughout the bowl and effervesces on the top. The primary nose for me is one of slightly sweet caramel. The hops are evident but not oppressive, imparting a bitterness that one would expect in a European premium lager. This beer is substantial and fizzy on the tongue but not bitey. I like this beer. I could drink it at session. And I could recommend it to others without reservation.

2.61/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Swingtop bottle on this one in 473 ml.

Poured a substantial frothed head. Left a good lace and retained very well. It's a clear orange-gold.

Smells of banana, grain, a bit of skunk there, and extremely subtle hops that emerge as the dominant scent with warming.

Light mouthfeel, somewhat slick and coating.

Vague sweetness with a pinching bitter copper. The aftertaste is slightly more coffee and salt with--I'm not kidding--the taste of envelope glue. A lingering aftertaste that emphasizes the bitter qualities. This is what disappoints me most--the bitter is nice, but the sweet that begins is so faint that it strikes me as unbalanced. Not bad, not great. Just sort of lingering in the middle precariously.

2.59/5  rDev -16.5%

Ok, this was a bad beer. I might have gotten a crap bottle, but it was more skunk than anything for me. It was strong in the smell, all I got was skunkness smell, with nothing else to back it up. The taste was similar, but had more on the malt side mixed with the strong skunk esscence. I was sure that it was going to be that way when I saw the green bottle. All I can say is thank God it was free to me.

3.36/5  rDev +8.4%

I've always enjoyed this beer, and I hadn't tried it in quite some time. It is still fresh and crisp, and would rank about halfway between a Beck's and a Pilsner Urquell. Looks as good as most pils or lagers, and has a nice (if somewhat mild) flavor. Very good balance. This is my "entry level" beer. Out at a restaraunt, I would be happy with it. Always get the corked bottle. Nothing bad to say, just not in the class of the best beers of the style.

2.18/5  rDev -29.7%

Appearance – Extremely light yellow in color with pretty good head retention and some decent lacing.

Smell – There’s the tiniest bit of skunk to this one, but otherwise it’s your typical macro grain and sucrose combination.

Taste – The corn comes out big in this one. There’s nothing subtle about the flavor profile here. This one is nasty with a capital “N”.

Mouthfeel – Not quite as thin as most, but cheaply carbonated and not very quenching.

Sinkability – I’m pouring this one down the garbage disposal along with last week’s tuna casserole.

3.11/5  rDev +0.3%

A decent brew and a unique bottle. Pours fizzy yellow. Mild hop flavour. Good enough before a pizza or pasta meal, fine with it. Crisp, light, smooth. Best in Summer, first sip is the best. Bitter aftertaste. Good volume beer for the gang. Slightly better than North American national brands.

2.8/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer looks great and smells decent.

It pours from the pint-sized green flip-top bottle with a substantial head that sticks around a while and a nice golden color.

The smell is a strong, grassy/grainy one, with a hint of skunkiness.

The flavor starts strong but is almost overpowering. After a while the strong taste and the stinging mouthfeel of the beer numbs the tastebuds a little.

All in all, this is a harsh flavorful brew. Not an everyday beer for me, but good with some spicier foods.

3.63/5  rDev +17.1%

$4.99 for a 6er of the 16oz swing tops...how couldn't i? pours a nice gold, lots of bubbles and a medium white head. scents of grass, grains, minerals and light hops pop out of the pour. i expected that good old nasty skunk smell, but much to my suprise it didnt exist...maybe because the swing tops come in an enclosed case preventing light from zapping it? anyway, the taste is earthy, light and refreshing, small hop bite yet a little sweet. simple and grainy, easy drinkin. never a fan of the imported macro lagers like heineken, becks and st. pauli girl, this one actually impressed me.

paid $4.99 for a 6 pack of 16ozer's.

3.25/5  rDev +4.8%

with the green bottle and the same color scheme on the label I expected it to taste a lot like hieniken, and I wasnt disappointed. It does taste a little more "beerlike" then the big H, but overall I'd say if you like one, you'd like the other, and if you dont...well the same.

The bitterness is pretty much spot on for the average person, oh, and the bottle is cool too.

overall a very average beer.

1.89/5  rDev -39%

Looks good with decent head retention for its kind. Aroma is sweet malt, grassy hops and synthetic rubber. Flavor is mostly harsh hop bitterness, astringency (in the mouthfeel) and little else. Finishes dry, bitter, chalky. I used to like this beer but not enough to buy it again and again. The main attraction must have only been the swing-top bottles.

3.25/5  rDev +4.8%

Aroma is sweet pils type hops. Fresh.
Huge white head. Yellow gold and clear.
Only slightly bitter in start that grows from middle to end with a fairly long bitterness on finish. Smooth malt backing.
Ale like smoothness with thirst quenching properties.
This is fine. Not outstanding but a nice thisrt quencher. Bitterness lingers little too long and isn't pleasant enough tasting.

3.63/5  rDev +17.1%

This is one of the better lagers I have had from overseas. I had it the first time in Amsterdam and I canb say that the bottle here in the states keps the flavor well (unlike Heineken). It is extremely smooth and a bit buttery. Has a grainy grass like taste as well but is overcome by the smoothness. This is a very drinkable beer.

3.35/5  rDev +8.1%

Pours out a pale yellow with a white head that shrinks to a thin but firm head. There is a slight smell of malt at the beginning and an aftertaste of hops. In the end it is a good lager that has taste. It is one of the better Dutch lagers in a world full of lagers.

2.93/5  rDev -5.5%

A very very typical euro. Pale yellow fizzy whit head that doesnt last. Touch of malt and some hops nothing to write home about, nice bottle though. One thing to note, i detected a lot i mean a lot of honey flavor if its consumed from a 5 liter mini keg as opposed to the bottle, doing this gives the beer a lot more character and it tastes pretty damn good this way.

2.88/5  rDev -7.1%

This is a beer I've put off buying for a long time due to my last experience with it. I tried it years ago and thought it was unimpressive at best.

It pours a nice golden color with a thin white head that doesn't stick around very long. It has a skunky aroma that isn't very good at least to my taste. The taste follows the nose. Skunky, grassy, malt. Not a bad mouthfeel but still not impressive. Overall, nothing special. Its a drinkable beer but nothing to conversate about. At least I have four new flip-tops for my homebrew.

2.23/5  rDev -28.1%

I'm tempted to give ths beer two reviews. But I'll give it three instead:

1) Look at the cool bottle! Flippy top! Flippy top!

2) Read my review of Heineken and take the flavor down a notch.

3) A fair pale lager with a hint of sulpher and few redeeming qualities. The similarity to Heineken is there but the Grolsch is not as putrid, not close. However, the same smelly qualities are here and it's not pretty.

The Grolsch looks ok, and sitting next to the flippity top bottle, the beer looks nice. Take away the bottle and it's nothing special. The aroma is not especially strong, with a sour tint. I understand this is probably how it is supposed to smell but I don't have to like it.

The flavor is a combination of bitterness and cooked veggies, although not incredibly strong. This is a beer that I would drink agian if I were dying of thirst. If not, then there are many other passable choices, even at a bar with a bad selection.

1.76/5  rDev -43.2%

Far below average lager. Bought the single, swing top bottle. Hey, that was neat. It's also the highlight of the beer, and I haven't even poured it yet. Let's see, somewhat darker than gold colour. Alot of carbonation, and yet very little head. What was their did leave a little lace on my glass. Whoa, bad smell. Cooked vegetables, wet malt, little hops, soggy cardboard and skunk juice. Hmm, green bottle, skunked beer. Who would see that coming? Very bad taste. Skunky taste up front, cooked veggie taste in the middle, bitter skunk aftertaste. Thin, overcarbonated mouthfeel. I would not drink this again. Even if it were offered for free, I'd choose something else. Even Bud Light. At least the taste in Bud Light isn't skunk.

1.08/5  rDev -65.2%

Fizzy beer gold color. Large fizzy head. Aroma is DMS, wet cardboard and Flavor is matly and slightly hoppy, but is obscured by the green bottle skunkyness. Bad bottle? Possibly, I have tried this beer several times and it always taste like this, some more some less, Average lager, but this one was UNDRINKABLE

3.13/5  rDev +1%

Water.
Cool bottle.

Good for homebrewers; otherwise, much ado about nothing. I'd agree it's along the lines of Heine and Beck's, but not even as flavorful and certainly not as astringent as Heineken. I wouldn't turn one down, nor would I ever offer one to a friend.

Relax, relax.
ng

2.3/5  rDev -25.8%

I must say I did not like Grolsch very much. It had a very bitter taste at the end of the beer which quickly turned me off to it. It was a bit dry with the bitter also. I was excited because I found a case of it really cheap so I bought it but did not like it much. Luckily my father helped me take the case down.

2.16/5  rDev -30.3%

Grolsch is simply another green-bottled import that I would have to lump in with the Heineken and Beck's crowd. Simple, overpriced, fizzy yellow lager with some skunk to it and not too much flavor. Nothing about this beer proved to be to exciting to me (maybe it would have if I had picked up the swing-top bottles, but I chose the regular crown caps).

Grolsch pours a light gold color with a decent foamy white head that lasts around 20 seconds. Somewhat skunky aroma, although not quite the roadkill that is Heineken. There is some minimal malt and some husky/musty cheap beer smell too. The mouthfeel is fizzy and watery, and the taste is typically Euro-lager. Husky grain/malt taste, sort of like Miller Lite meets Heineken. Light citric fruitiness, and some average hop bitterness in the finish. The aftertaste is much like the rest of the beer: husky and coarse. Somewhat hay like. Grolsch finishes off with very little alcoholic warmth.

This is a very average beer that fits into the Heineken/Beck's "euro" mold and does nothing to distinguish itself. A cheap domestic macro can be had for less and is probably better tasting too.

3.88/5  rDev +25.2%

This is one of the better lagers on the market today. It pours rather unimpressive, and the smell is pretty much non-existant. Yet, the taste is highly satisfying. It is crisp and smooth with a nice bitter hops flavor. This is probally the best of the well known lagers, however, it is a bit too pricey.

Grolsch Premium Lager from Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V.