Gulpener Korenwolf | Gulpener Bierbrouwerij B.V.

Gulpener KorenwolfGulpener Korenwolf

Gulpener Bierbrouwerij B.V.
Netherlands | website

Style: Witbier

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-13-2002

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 33 | Ratings: 63
4.3/5  rDev +9.1%

Nice deep golden misty golden colour. Hardly any carbonation.
The head is creamy snow white, but almost totally disappears.
The odour is mainly fruit and spices. Sweetened lemon with a bit of oranges, fresh flowers, hop and yeast and slight honey.
It tastes sweeter then I expected. Citrus fruits, cookie dough, malt, avocado and spices.
Aftertaste is full bodied, citrus, cookie dough, flowers, walnut and spices.

A nice witbier.

4.3/5  rDev +9.1%

Never seen this on store shelves over here, but I bought a couple online to fill up a box. I'd just been reading Michael Jackson talking it up and it was going cheap, so not much to lose.

It has a hamster on the label. I'm not going to try to tell you how to feel about that. I had to fight my girlfriend for it - she likes witbier but I suspect the cute label was as big a part of the appeal. Anyways, she'd left it sitting there for a while and it was approaching it's use by date so I had it for breakfast this morning with a grilled cheese sandwich. Delicious.

Pours a hazy white with a pinkish-orange tinge, like nectarine skin or something. I'm refreshed just looking at it. Finger or so of head which is gone in the time it takes me to walk over and throw the bottle in the bin.

Big aromas of flowers, soap, wheat flour and fruit.

Slight sourness up front, and that soapy/floury quality you get with all wits, then big time fruitiness - pear, banana, peach, citrus peel; a little alcohol and spice (coriander, vanilla) rounds it out. Apparently elderflowers are used in the brewing - I've never had elderflower cordial or whatever, so I'm not sure what these are supposed to taste like, but there's a definite floral character throughout. Complex and lovely. Medium-full mouthfeel, not too carbonated.

Massively drinkable. The only thing that hurts it in this regard is the slightly higher than usual ABV. I could live on this in Summer and would, if it were more widely available. Hard to imagine any wit being much better than this.

4.08/5  rDev +3.6%

Appearance: Pours a beautiful light, straw yellow with a good amount of carbonation.

Smell: Banana and orange peels dominate. There is a slight hint of hops.

Taste: There is an initial citrus bomb followed by a wheat taste progressing into spicy hop punch at the end.

Mouth feel: This beer is silky smooth and refreshing. There is a dry aftertaste which compliments the initial light carbonation nicely. There isn't quite as much carbonation as the appearance hinted, but that's not necessarily a flaw.

Overall: This is a very well balanced. It's feels great going down, especially on a hot summer day. This is probably the best European Witbier I've ever had. The taste isn't as complex as I would like it to be, but that could be due to the style and my own basis. Other than that, this is a near perfect beer.

4.4/5  rDev +11.7%

Personally I feel this is one of the best witbiers around. Not only is the cute gerbil (or whatever) on the label a nice touch, the flavor is great as well. As the label says, a "waere witte" or true white. What I love most about this witbier is that the aftertaste lingers very long and makes drinking it a feast. The taste itself is pure, with a stronger than usual spicyness that just happens to appeal to my taste. Now I must confess that the Gulpener Brouwerij to me is one of the more sympathetic breweries here in the Lowlands (but then again, Limburg isn't exactly low anymore...). Purchased locally in a sixpack at an Amsterdam supermarket. And now I'll have another one!

4.11/5  rDev +4.3%

As Grolsch distributes this small brewery's beer it's widely available throughout the NL. And whenever I'm in a non-beer pub I go for this. It doesn't look too good, always like they use greasy glasses or something. But it's such a nice silky, sweet, flavorful German Hefeweizen. I could drink quite some liters of it.

3.87/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Bought in a six-pack from the Albert Heijn in Utrecht.

Poured a hazy straw with a fairly thick pure white head that dissipated as I drank the beer.

This beer smells spicier than most witbiers I've had, but other than that the smell is standard witbier. Citrus with coriander, grassy, wheat and malts.

This beer also tastes spicier than most wits I've had in the past.
Perhaps they added extra coriander or perhaps peppercorns. Tasty, but not in the convential wit sense. The spice almost overwhelms the citrus.

The mouthfeel is very sharp, this wit is drier than most I've had before, likely due to the spice. Very refreshing, especially when just opened and cold.

A good witbier, although I prefer the more conventional Hoegaarden.

3.9/5  rDev -1%

a: wow! i havnt seen a beer quite this densely clouded before. This beer doesnt claim to be an unfiltered hefeweizen but it is definately unfiltered. Some people think beer should be clear but a wheat beer can get away with haze and in fact the best witte's are murky yellow in my opinion. Carbonation is rather obfuscated but vigorous upon close inspection.

s: hugely floral, herbal, vaguely resiny and estery. Big floral bouquet. Soapy freshness too. It does profess to contain actual elderflowers and aromatic herbs and these do dominate the nose.

t: Quite soapy. Bitter aromatic hop & herb finish. Faint biscuit-malt background. A taste definately befitting of the style. The floral aromas so prominant in the nose are less distinct in the taste.

m: Full bodied feel in the mouth, probably due to the 4 different grains used, perhaps some unmalted. Lively carbonation against the palette.

d: This is quite a floral beer and more than two may become somewhat overpowering and a little sickly for my taste. Though saying that I think it was the late Michael Jackson that said wheat beers work best as aperitifs that stimulate the palette, and in that context i think this beer works extremely well.

3.93/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured nicely. Fine carbonation with white frothy head. Reasonable head retention. Cloudy appearance as per style. Fresh citrus flavours. Compares very favourably with Hoegarden and went down very easily. I could imagine this being a great session beer. Pity its so hard to get in Oz.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Gulpener Korenwolf from Gulpener Bierbrouwerij B.V.