Colorado Kolsch | Steamworks Brewing Co.

Colorado KolschColorado Kolsch

steamworksbrewing.com

Style: Kölsch

Added by Jason on 05-21-2005

4.58/5  rDev +30.9%

blargimus had sent me a box of CANs and although I was quick to get tone77 his share, I put mine in the reefer to chill and then got caught up with both school and a heavy influx of bottles, all of which are now put to rest.

From the CAN: "Colorado Kolsch German-Style Ale", plus a beautiful representation of the state flag. MUCH more visual than the paper label on the bottle in the picture.

The Crack revealed another brimful CAN and I was glad that I was cautious in its opening. The inverted Glug was perfect and two fingers of bubbly, bone-white head with moderate retention quickly formed. Color was a pale straw-yellow with NE-quality clarity and loads of CO2 bubbles in evidence. I wonder how Greg Koch feels about CANsumers of this fizzy yellow beer ... I feel CANfident in my beer CANsumption so it really does not matter what other think of me. I think that the nose had an interesting grassiness to it, undoubtedly Noble hops, along with a light biscuit maltiness. The mouthfeel was light and bubbly, just effervescent enough to give it a tingly feeling on my tongue. Tee hee. The flavor was veddy dry, slightly vinous as the style description mentions, with a light biscuit flavor also. Finish was like having drank a dry white wine spritzer. It was light, airy, highly refreshing. This would be a dangerous beer to have in my cooler on a hot summer's day as I could really plow through some of these.

4.35/5  rDev +24.3%

Oh, I haven't had a Kolsch in a while. Good time to break it out today on our first warm day here.

Best by July, 08.

Slightly hazy dull light yellow body. Bubbly white head leaves sporadic patches of lace. Pretty nice aroma of bready, pils like maltiness and some spicy undertones as well. The flavor profile is simple and nice. Bready, cracker like pilsner base maltiness with shades of spice and hops underneath. Nice little dry fruitiness too. This is really quite good in its simple delicate nature. Body is easy going and carbonation fairly mellow. This is really going down too easy and is quite enjoyable. One of the better Kolsch beers I've had. This would be a great keg beer in the summer. If this was in six packs for around $8 a pop, I'd be hitting it up more in the summer. As it is, from a bomber for $4.30 a pop, I'll still grab one or two ocassionally this summer. (That equates to over $13 a six pack.)

4.34/5  rDev +24%

On tap at the brewpub. It's pale straw in color, with no head and no lace. Very, very clear. The smell is honey & lemongrass and alright with me. The taste is creamy, malty and has a crisp, tart finish that really makes this beer a standout. It's smooth but with a nice tingle to it. I'd drink it all day long. And if at all possible, drink it in Durango. A great destination & a great beer destination.

4.29/5  rDev +22.6%

They served this at the World Beer Cup awards dinner at the end of CBC in Philly a few weeks back. I loved the aroma and taste - great representation of this style. Easy drinking. Looking to see if I can get a case on the east coast - Philly area.

4.26/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Fantastic Kolsch. Light hops, nice color, very tasty.

4.25/5  rDev +21.4%

Clearest of lemony lighter yellows with a slow cascade of streams lining within the body. Starchy bright white of crunchy foam sits briefly thin before fading quickly to a thin collar and a whisp of white patches. A few straggly thick strings of lace stick to the glass.

Solid starchy tone to its aroma with a sweet and tender crisp tone of Pilsner malt that sides more with the Czech then the German style.

Same for the taste, quite Czech oriented with a crisp and quickened crunchy tender sweetness of malty starchyness and favorable little sweet breadyness to round it out. Stays present in its tone and lasts in flavor for a good duration. Its favorably lasting in its clean and breadish toned sweetness all the way to its finish which is quick to get, but lingers long after with a slight sticky leftover malt goo thats Pilnserificly satisfying.

Feel is crisp, crunchy, smooth, and tenderly full with a well toned freshness and sweetness that lasts long after each sip and/or gulp.

Totally drinkable and refreshingly so. A solid Kolsch.

4.25/5  rDev +21.4%

4.17/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.16/5  rDev +18.9%

I don't usually go for beers this light, but I really enjoyed this Kolsch. So easy to drink, so smooth and light. When it's a hundred degrees outside, you pretty much need a beer like this. I think this one is much better than the masses seem to, so if you're willing to give it a try, I think you'll like it.

4.1/5  rDev +17.1%

beautiful spicy floral hop aroma.
That's a phat hop face followed by nice tang, and smooth cracker malt. This tends to be dry with lots of chardonnay character. Quite good, that. Tangy finish with a nasturtium bite. Oi vay, a very good beer.
It's an oily yellow with a full froth that quickly rests to fuzz on the surface. It leaves rings of lace as I quaff this in big gulps. Burpilicious. Very carbonated.

4.07/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

4.07/5  rDev +16.3%

Pours a slightly hazy straw color with active carbonation, Thin but durable head.

Aroma is mainly cracker with slight hint of tea. Goes down easy with a refreshing med to light body. Taste is pretty mellow, bit of cracker malt, slight honey-like sweetness, finished dry with a hint of bitterness.

This is a local beer for me and I drink it quite often, more of a hot weather session beer. Easy drinking and very refreshing.

4.01/5  rDev +14.6%

12 oz. Bottle

Pours a nice yellow color, nice carbonation, with a pretty nice small off-white head, which leaves some sticky lacing behind. The nose is malty, yeasty, grass/wheaty. The taste is malty, yeasty, grassy/wheaty. Medium body. Overall, a pretty tasty brew.

3.98/5  rDev +13.7%

Poured in my stange glass (yay, I like to use the glasses that I don't often use). I poured this into a pint glass also and I must implore you to use a stange glass when drinking this beer, or you will miss out A LOT.

Straw yellow color with a good head that leaves trails of lacing on the glass. I've never seen a kolsch with this good of an appearance.

Smell is hugely grassy with a lemony citrus twang. I never used to be a fan of kolschs, but the smell drive me wild. I want to go mow a lawn so that I can come in and whiff this and be in heaven. I'd like to give a higher score here, but I'll balance it out later. It's not quite a 4.5

Taste is just clean refreshing kolsch. The malts are very pale and have a citrusy twang. There is that slight sourness that one gets from citrus that is left on the tongue a tad.

I'll add points to the mouthfeel here, but the beer just isn't as crisp as I would like it to be. If this beer was more crisp the drinkability could even be higher. However, the flavors are on and this is a pretty decent kolsch. Give it a try.

3.98/5  rDev +13.7%

Serving Type Sampled: 22fl. oz. brown crown top bottle. Features freshness date.

Appearance: Golden straw in color. Great 2 finger, snow white head that diminishes into a glass sliding, loose lace.

Smell: Doughy, pils malts slight grassy hops.

Taste: Very delicate yet complex, mild malt balanced with a very floral hop. This is a very refreshing Pilsner taste.

Mouthfeel: Light body, moderate carbonated.

Drinkability: Great. If you like a good Kölsch or Pilsner than this is the beer for you. Very refreshing and quite satisfying for such a mild beer. This is a great example of a session beer. I obtained this brew from the local brewery rep. after I had a bad bottle of their beer. Steamworks customer service is A+.

Colorado Kolsch from Steamworks Brewing Co.