Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Ragsdale Porter | Bill's Tavern & Brewhouse

billstavernandbrewhouse.com

Style: American Porter

Added by RedDiamond on 07-28-2004

3.95/5  rDev +12.5%

I thought at first they must have served me the stout; this brew is entirely too black for a porter. Later it occurred to me that a beer brewed with smoked malts and organic licorice root should be as dark as a Ragsdale Porter.

But the greater surprise is the taste. Ragsdale tastes like nothing I’ve ever had. The smoked element is present. But the licorice root is transforms into something entirely distinct. This is literally a root beer, and that could be it. The aroma is a fanciful vanilla-incense. The taste is peculiar, delightful, and complex.

I’ve noticed that many of Bill’s beers have very short-lived heads, and I’m beginning to wonder if the house dishwashing technique isn’t competing for the suds. My Ragsdale Porter came with a thin head that faded quickly. Still, this beer is a must-try for anyone visiting Cannon Beach. It is extraordinarily good.

2.59/5  rDev -26.2%

Had this on tap in August 2009 at Bill's Tavern in Cannon Beach, Oregon. The colour was medium brown with just a thin ribbon of head around the edges of the glass. The aroma was faintly hoppy and malty. On the palate, there was a generous roasty character with some anise and tanginess and then an odd shot of charcoal and BBQ sauce. Some hops came along on the finish. Certainly not my fave from Bill's.

Ragsdale Porter from Bill's Tavern & Brewhouse