Pale

Aug 20, 2018
SCORE
Okay
PalePale
Notes: Our Pale is an internationally award-winning craft beer with 10 calories and 0 carbs!

With a medium bitterness balanced by a caramel malt sweetness and perfumey, tropical aromatics, this pale ale is will please both beer geeks and beer newbies alike.
View: More Beers
Recent ratings and reviews. | Log in to view more ratings + sorting options.
Reviewed by metter98 from New York

3.16/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25
A: The beer is crystal clear amber yellow in color and has a light to moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a quarter finger high white head that quickly settled down and left a thin collar around the edge.
S: Light to moderate aromas of herbal hops and caramel malts are present in the nose along with notes of an "off" smell that is probably a result of the process used to remove the alcohol.
T: The taste follows the smell, except that there are more "off" flavors and stronger notes of caramel malts. The hops contribute a light amount of bitterness.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied and slightly crisp on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: The "off" aromas and flavors detract from the drinkability of this beer but it was still tasty considering it is non-alcoholic and also low in calories.

Serving type: can
Jul 28, 2022
Reviewed by Bouleboubier from New Jersey

3.98/5  rDev +25.2%
(12 oz can, BB Feb-08-2023 A0024; purchased can off shelf... poured into a 14 oz mug)

L: brilliantly-clear, amber liquid; very active head on the pour, stablizes then settles into a thin cap... collar keeps, but no lace

S: wow! kind of like an old-school pale ale with the piney/floral hops and toasty malts, huh... almost a floral bubblegum thing in the background too?... yeah, it has a background grapefruit tinge, but it's mostly things green and woody

T: toasted nut, spring-scented all-purpose cleaner; aftertaste more beer-like, kind of reminding me of 60 Min IPA of yesteryear (gotta look up the ingredients for this, hmm...) ... it gets extra points for its bold expressions, though the malt loses its footing halfway through, gets watery... they could push the bitterness a little too

F: highly-carbonated, effervescent... weightless and near devoid of viscosity, aside from some marginal hop resin drag... the hops do provide a moderate bitter buzzing warmth upon the palate and, combined with that resin drag, is the only thing giving this any depth and presence; it's otherwise quite watery

O: one of the more solid, satisfying hopped NAs I've tried this week... would love to try this with a grilled chicken sandwich... eager to try their other brands (1940)
Jul 16, 2022

Rated: 3.27 by mdshensky74 from South Carolina

Mar 26, 2022

Rated: 3.08 by Parsifalstaff from New York

Jan 31, 2022
Reviewed by HoppingMadMonk from New Jersey

3.74/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75
Clear amber appearance with a slightly thin body. Has about medium carbonation which dissipates quickly
Aroma is malt,grain,cereal, earthy and grass
Taste is very similar to aroma.
This was very good for and na beer emphasis on na beer. I wouldn't compare to regular beer but for what it is its very good
Jan 17, 2022

Rated: 3.38 by digitalflood from New York

Jan 06, 2022

Rated: 3.14 by BuddyZ from Pennsylvania

Nov 30, 2021
Reviewed by flagmantho from Washington

3.31/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25
Poured from 12oz can into a dimpled mug. Best by 3/30/22.

Appearance: rich golden hue with a clear body and a thin finger of frothy ivory foam. The head doesn't stick around very long but the color is quite good.

Smell: aroma is quite light with a fair dose of minty, herbal, grassy hops. There's not really any malt to back them up, but the hops are rather nice.

Taste: there actually seems to be a very very light toasty malt flavor here, combined with the grassy hops. The overall effect is rather floral, and is a pretty familiar flavor to me in pale ales. This is the kind of beer that a lot of other NA brands might try to market as an IPA, but I think it fits right in as a pale ale. It's super light, of course, but it works.

Mouthfeel: very light body with a light carbonation and really nothing special to recommend it. I think this is a member of the "just don't use very much malt" school of NA brewing.

Overall: a reasonably successful NA beer, I think. Not perfect, to be sure; I would love some actual body here. But overall, you could do a lot worse.
Oct 05, 2021
Reviewed by scott451 from Canada (ON)

3.09/5  rDev -2.8%
Poured a 355ml can into a pint glass. A 1/4 inch bubbly off white head that diminishes to a thin layer. A clear pale amber.
Fruity malts smalls.
Kind of thin in the flavour department
Light body and medium carbonation.
Overall OK but a little thin.
Sep 11, 2021
Reviewed by jlindros from Massachusetts

3.89/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75
Best by 2021/12/08
Pours a med-large pillowy 1 finger head with moderate retention, messy lacing, very clear pale to tan color

Nose is nice, fresh hops and wort, a bit of fresh sweet malt, raw pale malt wort and some caramel notes, hops start floral and get a little fruity citrus and grassy, very aromatic

Taste brings copper malt characters with more cereal grain and a hint of toasted caramel malt, pretends to be sweet but somehow doesn't actually get there almost like fake sugar (but it's not), fair hop character with more floral grassy notes up front, then citrus and a touch of herbal tea late, light bitterness at first, dry finish brings more of the bitterness

Mouth is light bod, med fizzy carb

Overall this was a solid NA pale, quite aromatic which was nice, taste left a bit to be desired but still good, but if this is really only 10 calories I may just drink this quite often!
Aug 24, 2021

Rated: 2.72 by Rich-Ry from California

Aug 03, 2021
Rated by Turbo from Minnesota

3.13/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25
Taste falls a little flat in comparison to some of the better NA beers.
Mar 13, 2021
Reviewed by pianoguy from Washington

3.96/5  rDev +24.5%
12 Oz can. BB date October 25 2021

Pours a nearly clear copper body with a white head that dissipated in a few minutes. Lots of small visible carbonation noted. Some speck lacing.

Smell is nice and prominent ! I'm getting a lot of oranges and a sweet floral plumeria blossom scent.
I noticed that familiar NA vegetable wort scent (only) when I opened the can and poured into the glass, it was very slight and disappeared almost instantly.(Thank God!)

Taste had more of a grapefruit quality. While enjoyable it didn't quite measure up to the great smell of this one, with the lack of a solid malt backbone being my main issue.

Crisp, almost prickly feel with a dry finish. Nicely carbonated

Overall; Impressive beer ! I can't believe I'm handing out all these 4's to an NA... It looked and smelled great and was well carbonated. The taste was a tiny bit of a drop off for me, but it was still refreshing. The best NA that I've had so far. I could see myself drinking a couple of these after mowing the lawn this summer.
Feb 22, 2021
Reviewed by CanConPhilly from Pennsylvania

4.22/5  rDev +32.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25
L - 2-finger foamy offwhite head quickly recedes, leaving near-complete lacing. Body is almost transparent orange. A dead ringer for an old school ipa or apa.

S - orange, floral, pine, caramel. Spot on.

T - follows the nose. Very clean flavors of orange, caramel, floral, with a little pine. Just a tinge of diacetyl mid-sip, but nothing too distracting. Finishes dry. Moderate bitterness.

F - a touch south of medium-light bodied with prickly, tiny carb bubbles (like the pop rocks kind, which personally I enjoy).

O - this is my new favorite hoppy na. It is very similar to Ghost Walker, except this is a bit hoppier, and only 10 calories (vs 60+ for most others). This one I will buy more of. Especially since I think this will fool people blind, so I need to try that. Really does come off as a lighter-bodied APA in every regard. 4/5
Feb 13, 2021
Reviewed by officerbill from New York

4.1/5  rDev +28.9%
L: Clear, see through, amber with a white head that quickly dissolves into a ring and filmy islands.
S: flowery hops, bready malts, some grapefruit zest and faint pine needles
T: follows the aroma with mellow flowery hops, multi-grain bread malts, citrus zest, and pibe needle tea.
F: a little sticky on the tongue and minimal carbonation with a dry almost grape-nuts taste as you swallow.
O: This isn't just an excellent NA beer, this is a very good beer period. When my dry month is over this beer will remain a weeknight staple.
Feb 12, 2021
Reviewed by tigg924 from Massachusetts

2.61/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5
Pours clear, copper in color with 1/4 inch head. Taste is herbal hops, pale malt, and sandalwood. Light bodied, slightly bitter, moderate carbonation. I applaud the effort for the calories. While decent, this does not pack in the same amount of flavor as other NA pales.
Oct 05, 2020
Reviewed by Smakawhat from Maryland

2.95/5  rDev -7.2%
Poured from the can into a nonic(k) pint glass.

Copper bodied, with a hint of chestnut brown and orange on the sides. Fairly clear bodied appearance wise, but slightly hazy. Off white head, a little khaki in color, with a soapy pale ale classic retention.

Slightly aromatic hop of tea and orange. Minor sense of sweetness, touches of actual simple malt backbone. This actually doesn't entire smell like a N.A. but a just simple straight pale ale. Solid!

Oh woah… palate is really missing here. Extremely wet bodied with just faint grass flavors. Off bitter hop that doesn't really add much character to the beer. Watered own tea aftertaste, and minimal flavor, almost like drinking herbal flat water.

This is drinkable just barely, but not in a real enjoyable way. Scoring fairly neutral, but there are way better options out in the N.A. realm than this.
Aug 02, 2020
Reviewed by dbrauneis from North Carolina

2.91/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3
A: Pours a crystal clear medium to dark copper in color with moderate amounts of active visible carbonation rising from the bottom of the glass and moderate dark golden yellow + amber colored highlights. The beer has a two finger tall sudsy foamy tan head that slowly reduces to a large patch of thin film covering a little more than 90% of the surface of the beer and a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass. Minimal amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light to moderate aromas of toasted + caramel malts with light amounts of caramel sweetness underneath moderate aromas of earthy + spicy + herbal + pine hops. Hints of something that I always detect in NA beers but not sure exactly how to describe it (some artifact from the process to remove the alcohol?).

T: Upfront there are light to moderate flavors of toasted + caramel malts with very light amounts of caramel sweetness. That is followed by hints of something I always associate/detect with NA beers. Finally there are light to moderate flavors of earthy + spicy + herbal + pine hops which impart a light amount of lingering bitterness.

M: Light bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Crisp but thin/watery.

O: Easy to drink with a light refreshing mouthfeel but more like a slightly hoppy slightly malty club soda. Enjoyable for what it is but still way too light in mouthfeel and too watery to be something I could enjoy on a more regular basis. Worth giving it a try if you are looking for an NA beer outside of the traditional light lager style.
Apr 09, 2020
Reviewed by loubar from California

4.7/5  rDev +47.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75
Really unique and refreshing for a 10 calorie NA beer. A total surprise. It simply doesn't taste like all of the traditional NA brews. I think it marks the beginning of a new generation of NA beers. Since all of the rest of the NAs taste the same and always have, this must represent some sort of a process advancement. It tastes light, yet flavorful and they have enhanced the lightness with hops and carbonation. There are so many carbonated, flavored, unsweetened waters out these days. I'd put this up against any of them.
Mar 13, 2020
Reviewed by teromous from Virginia

3.27/5  rDev +2.8%
From the bottom of the can: "BB 23/10/2020 15:31"

Appearance: The beer has a gorgeous golden brown color which changes drastically from a deep amber-brown in shades to a brilliant amber-gold in the light. It has great clarity. The head is short and white with very poor retention. No lacing.

Aroma: The beer starts off with a catty aroma, notes of garlic, onion, and bay leaf. There is a spruce aroma to the beer which makes it more interesting.

Taste: There is a flavor of cedar wood and spruce fronds.

Mouthfeel: It is light and slightly thin. Bitterness is present but on the lower side and it is mostly up front on the palate. The finishing mouthfeel is empty.

Overall: It has good flavor and aroma but it lacks a bit of palate presence. The beer has an interesting woody character to it which is reminiscent of hiking in the woods or camping, so it would be a fun beer to bring to either of those events. Given the nice aroma and flavor I could drink it again and I would at least recommend picking up a single to try.
Feb 16, 2020

Rated: 2.03 by Boone757 from Virginia

Feb 06, 2020
Rated by southack from Maryland

2.84/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75
Look: Amber, good head

Smell: Light hoppy

Taste: Dry hops, not sweet

Mouthfeel: Medium body
Nov 26, 2019
Reviewed by MikeFromMaryland from Maryland

1.6/5  rDev -49.7%
I hate writing a bad review, but for the love of God, this is ass in a can! I won't divulge the other NA beers that are wayyyyyyy better. Go out there and get some. For f's sake!
Sep 30, 2019

Rated: 3.06 by gshak from Texas

Jul 22, 2019
Reviewed by BeyondClubSoda from Texas

2.76/5  rDev -13.2%
I had pretty low expectations for this beer going in (10 calories?!?) and found myself pleasantly surprised. Overall, this tasted more like a lite version of a hop-forward beer to me - I might not have immediately guessed it was an NA option in a blind taste test. Manages to pull off a crispness that a lot of other NA options fail on and I did get a scent of hops when I cracked open the can. It is a little watery. The feel reminds me of Michelob Ultra. I'll be trying this one again - I suspect it would be refreshing on a hot afternoon. If you're a NA drinker who misses a hoppy finish, check this one out.
May 10, 2019
Reviewed by MGibbons from Maryland

2.92/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3
I got this in an exchange with a friend. He got a double-chocolate milk stout. Funny trade. But I'm always interested in trying NA beers. I also like to be sure that I'm covering the spectrum on ratings and getting a few on the low end. Rating NA or LA beers is tough. Compared to NAs, it's solid. Compared to a pale ale, not a contender. I poured it into a 12 oz. beer glass.

Look: 3.75 - It has a nice, amber color with light head mostly disappears except for some residual.
Smell: 3.5 - Not much. I got a little that had an air of pale ale, but it wasn't a bad smell.
Taste: 2.5 - I started with 3.25, but the taste is thin, straw-like, mildly hoppy, and a bit sharp in an undesirable way. So, I bumped it down to 3.0. Then as I kept drinking, I had to downgrade it further. And then one more time. In a blind pale ale tasting, it wouldn't do well at all. Most of the flavor is on the front of the palate. Most of the aftertaste isn't great.
Feel: 2.5 - The more i drink it, the more the fizzy sharpness is displeasing.
Overall: 3.0 - I started with some better ratings, but as i consumed this, they declined.

This has some amazing pros: 10 calories is crazy and 0.3% alcohol is useful (if that's what you need). So, maybe I would go with this if it was in front of me and I needed an NA. It's better than most NAs I've had. But that category isn't my fave. BTW - I did finish the beer.
Apr 26, 2019
Reviewed by 69IBU from Canada (AB)

2.1/5  rDev -34%
Got this free can from one of the reps who visits my store. I think. It was here before I even got hired. I guess nobody else wanted it.

I thought I'd give it a fair shake. Chilled it up real nice and poured it into a clear plastic solo cup. It looks like beer, and on appearance alone at least it looks like pale ale. Pretty nice dark orange. Aroma is virtually nonexistent. I held this cup right under my nose and got nothing. But at least no smell is better than a crappy smell.

Taste is basically club soda with a light flavour of hops. It's not bad or offensive, and I'll admit it is very refreshing without an off-putting grainy sweetness that I've noticed in other non-alcoholic beers.

For what it is - a 10-calorie beverage - I think it's perfectly acceptable.
Dec 22, 2018
Reviewed by thehyperduck from Canada (ON)

3.28/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25
355 mL can from the LCBO; packaged Sept 14 2018 and served slightly chilled. I have never reviewed a non-alcoholic beer before, and I wasn't planning to start now, but I bought this without reading the label very carefully and might as well tick it. Reviewed from notes.

Pours clear golden-yellow, with one finger of frothy white foam surviving no longer than a minute or two before disintegrating completely. No remnants whatsoever; looks still, like apple juice. Doughy malts come through on the nose, as well as some floral hops and lemon peel. Akin to a blonde ale so far.

Tastes watery, like club soda - no idea if it's inordinately watery as far as NA beers go, as the only beers I can really compare this to are light beers (which, indeed, do not taste as watery as this does). There is a slight grainy note on the front end, with faint doughy sweetness and a suggestion of floral hops tying up a diluted finish. Club soda aftertaste. Its body is light and thin, with aggressive carbonation that feels prickly and fizzy in the mouth; relatively refreshing, at the very least.

Final Grade: 3.28, a C+. Partake Pale Ale tasted better than I was expecting, but that isn't saying much. Rating this beer to style is logically impossible for me, so consider this more of a grade based upon whether or not I'd actually buy this beer in the future (at least, if I had a compelling reason to drink NA beer at all). I've had 'real' beers that were worse than this, but most of them fall under the macro lager category; any half-decent pale ale would blow this one out of the water, even Labatt 50. Then again, "any half-decent pale ale" wouldn't have a near-captive audience with few appealing alternatives baked into its target market segment, so I'm sure this will be of some utility to someone. Just not me.
Dec 17, 2018

Rated: 3.02 by Electros from Canada (ON)

Oct 07, 2018