Pig's Eye Pilsner | Evans Brewing Company

pigseyebeer.com

Style: American Pale Lager

Added by ZAP on 06-06-2002

1.45/5  rDev -45.5%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Another super yellow flimsy no head appearance from Evans brewing company. The aroma was moldy hay and copper and aluminum. Putrid stuff.

Holy crap the amount of fusel or rubbing alcohol with no malt/barley to soak it up is brutal. Fuck, Keystone Light smokes this beer. This is a serious avoid.

2.62/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

College beer but slightly better

1.55/5  rDev -41.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

1.79/5  rDev -32.7%

Awful watered down smelly mess of a beer.

2.25/5  rDev -15.4%

2.5/5  rDev -6%

2.75/5  rDev +3.4%

2.63/5  rDev -1.1%

It's ok beer. Much better than the Lean or whatever it is called. Nice refreshing...creamy...searching for hops makes me think and try really hard. I might just be imagining them. I am not imagining the corn.

Minnesota is the number one state for corn production I think...well some fell in the beer...but I can drink this!

1.5/5  rDev -43.6%

Clear yellow with almost no head, terrible aroma, wet hay and rusty metal.

Taste, wow, it got worse, horrible offtaste of oxidized bong water left at the bottom of a metal trash can. No hops, no malt, just rubbing alcohol fusel style. Some sweet to it.

Much worse than almost all BMC esque stuff. The plastic and metal mouthfeel is the worst part. Totally not recommended.

2.72/5  rDev +2.3%

12 oz can into a pint glass

A: Yellow with slight golden tones. weak bubbly head forms and dissipates leaving no lace.

S: Actually a nice clean malt aroma with only slight hop balance. Decent.

T: Sweetish, light and clean. Not very memorable but the aftertaste is too sweet and a bit unpleasant, much like malt liquor.

M: Thin, unremarkable.

D: Wouldn't seek out again but might have one or two if it was the only thing around amongst friends.

1.97/5  rDev -25.9%

I see that the style indicates that this CAN of beer is supposed to be adjunct-free and yet it hails from La Crosse, WI, nemesis of The CANQuest (TM) and home to such otherworldly adjuncts as to make me think that it is staffed by space aliens, specifically The Cybermen, who hope to use these beers as a means of eventually subsuming everyone who drinks them.

The Crack & Glug was a success and I had two fluffy fingers of bone-white head with excellent retention. Already, the room was beginning to smell like the inside of a plastics factory! I hear that there are plans to write a narcocorrido about The CANQuest (TM) and its exploits. Color was a golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity and lots of carbonation in evidence. Nose smelled like cheap white wine and dry cleaning chemicals. The Cybermen are visible over the fence in my back yard. Apparently, each CAN comes with a homing device to allow to know when to strike! Mouthfeel was watery and the taste was metallic, but that could have been because my tongue (along with the rest of my once-human body) was metallic. I am a CyberCAN! One of the basic tenets of The CANQuest (TM) states that in order for it to count, it must be completely CANsumed - no drainpours, in other words. It did cross my mind, however. Finish left me breathless, although there was no need to breathe, having been transformed yet again into something other than human. I CAN't go on. I will finish this beer and join my Cyberbrethren in total domination of the world!

Named for the first European settler of what would become St. Paul, MN, one Pierre "Pig's Eye" Parrant, I raise a toast in your honor, sir. But you are not going in my cooler if I CAN help it.

2.78/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pig Eye Pilsner actually looks pretty good. Very clear, dull gold-looking body. The head is about two fingers tall, bright white, and pretty soapy looking. Retention is OK, and there are a few spots of lacing.

The aroma is better than I expected, as there is a hint of hops, some pilsner malt, and a lot of sweet, corny-type aroma.

Although it doesn't smell great, it doesn't manage to taste even that good. A little bit of bready, pale malts. The one thing it does have going for it is a light blast of bitterness from the hops up front. Not a whole lot of earthy flavor, but a slightly metallic bite tells you that at least hops were used in this one. The finish is huge and sweet, with the trappings of adjuncts. If you fight your way through the sweetness, there is a little bit of cracker flavor from the pale malt hiding underneath it.

Prickly carbonation and a moderate body; pretty smooth. No complaints about the feel.

Not something I will buy again, but it wasn't horrible either. Approach this as a good adjunct lager and not a crappy pilsner and you might just be satisfied.

3.75/5  rDev +41%

I poured this one at the end of a miserable, rainy, hot and muggy day. It turned out to be an awesome thirst saver.

Pours a clear medium and bright yellow with a battery one finger head that dissipated quickly. Nose of sweet pale bready malts and a bit of a boozy alcohol.

This beer is super easy to drink and I think that after this stuffy day it will be gone in a few more minutes. Really light and sweet pale, bready maltiness and some apple juice comes to mind too. I did'nt nessecarily get much of a German Pilsner profile, which I assumed it was when I grabbed it.

Overall I think this is a great lawn mower beer and if I stumble upon it again I'll probably grab it.

2.14/5  rDev -19.5%

12 oz can.

Hmm, smell is like alkaseltzer (sp?)....Fruity, maybe an orange peel thrown in?

Head is less than a finger thick and then dissipates and does not streak down the glass when consumed.

Highly carbonated. Tastes like the champagne of Alkaseltzer...The carbonation and taste (or lack of taste), hit right off. If the carbonation were less it would remind me of some asian rice based beers....No real aftertaste to note

I mean it does go down easily but doesn't really offer any complexity or real taste. So I guess the good news is that it's not a terrible tasting beer, it is easy to finish at least (doing so now)

Very glad I bought just a single of this off of the $1 stand, yes, very glad for that indeed!

3.2/5  rDev +20.3%

Thanks to swalden28 for sharing this can.

The beer pours a clear light yellow color with a white head. The aroma is that of grain and lemons with not too much more. The flavor is mainly grain, lemons and yeast but I also get some metallic notes. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

1.83/5  rDev -31.2%

Reviewed from notes.

Pale straw color with a large white head which disappears quickly, and leaves no lacing. Smell is corn and some unpleasant sourness. The taste is much like the smell. Corn and some sourness. This is not good at all. Thin and watery, too much carbonation. Very unpleasant. Avoid.

2.18/5  rDev -18%

Reviewed from notes, got this as a "what the hell" extra from twiggamortis420 as part of a local in person trade (wish I could find my other review notes from this trade! )

Pours an effervescent straw color with 1+ finger of beige white head. Average lacing & head retention

S: Cornyness, sweet apple juice & perfumy hops sneaking in as this warms

T: Sweet & grainy up front. Then metallic notes on warm, more nastyness in the finish

MF: Light bodied & OVER GASSED

Drinks like a low end macro, yawn...

3.1/5  rDev +16.5%

Appearance: Clear yellow, ok head.

Smell: Bready, seltzer.

Taste: Clean bready flavor with a little grassy hops.

Drinkability: Easy drinking and cheap.

Picked up a 6 pack of what I hoped was a decent lager for a change of pace from all the barleywines and DIPAs I've been drinking lately. This was surprisingly decent, considering it was very cheap. Some actual hop flavor and decent malt profile!

Pig's Eye Pilsner from Evans Brewing Company