3B

Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 6 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by TheLongBeachBum:
TheLongBeachBum from California

2.21/5  rDev -30.3%

Presentation: Sampled at the Red Shed, Wakefield during my Easter Trip back to the UK. Arkell’s 3B was a Guest Beer in the Red Shed, the beer and the brewery are rarely seen in the North of England, so it was a nice surprise to get to try this one.

Appearance: Amber body, thin dirty white head sits atop the moderately carbonated brew. Look like a classic English Bitter in the glass.

Nose: Feint aromas. Old school malts with an ashtray soaked bitterness.

Taste: I hate to use the phrase, but I wrote in my notes that this tasted like bad Homebrew. In order to refrain from upsetting many of the Homebrewers out there, I should qualify that I mean that this tasted like MY homebrew the first time I used a malt extract kit. Slightly sweet, sickly, muddled, partly chewed nuts with a thin metallic finish. Poor balance and befuddled.

Mouthfeel: Thin and very watery. Pastel like body, no even the carbonation rescues this from feeling like a cheap watered-down economy Canned beer.

Drinkability: From the get go, I struggled with this. Manageable but far from the session drinking brew I thought it was. I left the last third of this Pint in fact.

Overall: Whilst it is fantastic to see that Arkell’s is still family owned after some 160+ years, I’m afraid that I was not impressed by this one at all. And judging by the fact that it stayed on the Guest Beer Handpumps in the Shed for a very untypical couple of days during my Easter Trip, neither were others. Way too thin and wishy-washy.

3B is short for ‘Best Bitter Beer’, it is often referred to as ‘Big Boy’s Beer’, but I reckon it really stands for “Bloody Boring Brew”.

May 22, 2005
cypressbob from Northern Ireland

2.68/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

275ml bottle

Pours with a nice golden maber body, some foamy head, slight retention

Smell, um....smells like cider, seriously, like a dry westons or hecks, really odd

Taste, dry and fizzy, like dried apples and fizzy candy, a bit odd, not totally pleasant, like a mix of a pale ale and cider...actually, this tastes like cider....what the hell happened here?

An odd one, pretty weird and crap, like a malty off cider

Dec 10, 2004
Fatehunter from Oregon

3.91/5  rDev +23.3%

Pours a finger of head on a dark straw body.
The aroma is mild toffee, caramel and lemon.
The taste is sweet with lemon bitterness.
The texture is soft and smooth.
Nice.

May 09, 2015
Bobhoya from Arizona

3.25/5  rDev +2.5%

Aug 17, 2014
redgorillabreath from Pennsylvania

2.45/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Having my first pint from the tap in the English country side. It looks terrific, but I was expecting more to it. Good feel, however.

Apr 25, 2015