White Gold

From:
Durham Brewery Ltd

England, United Kingdom
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
View: Beers
Reviews by TheLongBeachBum:
TheLongBeachBum from California

4.23/5  rDev 0%

Presentation: Having arrived back in England on Friday 18th April for my annual 2 week vacation only hours earlier, as soon as I had my Suitcase safely dropped off at my Parents house [and as they were both at a Funeral] it was time to head to one of my favorite licensed establishments in Wakefield, the Red Shed, for some afternoon respite…..and of course a few (much dreamed of) Cask brews.

After my first Pint of Ossett Brewery Pale Gold which lasted all of 5 minutes, if that, I deliberated over the two beers on offer from the Durham Brewery, another favorite of mine, and like Ossett Brewery famed for producing many light, golden and hoppy brews.

I opted for the weaker of the two first, White Gold at 4.0%.

Appearance: Immaculately pulled into a fresh Glass by Eric the Barman, it didn’t even require a top-up. Settled to a fine pale golden body that was supremely clear and looked the biz with its tightly packed bleached white head. Solid conditioning from this fresh Cask which left some great lacing.

Nose: A decent nose on this one, but still rather light in strength. Nothing much in the way except for a light floral hoppy perfume aroma, not complex at all but very nice nonetheless.

Taste: Lemony start to this pale brew with a low strength but sharp citric hop profile in the middle. Finishes with a thirst quenching feel which is very satisfying. The after-taste is of citric hops and grapefruit which is sharp in character and which helps to cut through and slake your thirst quickly. Damn tasty stuff. Simple profile, yet incredibly effective!

Mouthfeel: Whilst it looks like a 3.0% brew, and it is a 4.0% brew, it certainly feels like a 3.50% ABV brew during the drink. This was a fresh Cask and the carbonation was lively and finely attenuated which supported the sharp lemon citric aspects of this brew quite nicely. It is never over-powering and always fulfills.

Drinkability: Yet again, another brew that struggled to stay in my Pint Glass. Incredibly drinkable, as indeed are most of Durham’s brews to be honest. Goes down well on a warm day, but even on the mild first Friday I was home it didn’t last long. I had to remember that I was meeting my Parents later at 5pm, I arrived in the Shed at midday and it was barely 12:20 when I finished the Durham White Gold. With the earlier Ossett Pale Gold, I had consumed 2 Pints in less than 20 minutes by the time I finished this one!!

Overall: Durham Brewery is most certainly a favorite English Brewery of mine…….their White Gold I have had before, but it was damn lovely to taste the delights of this one again!

Highly Recommended [on Cask at least].

May 01, 2005