White Scimitar

From:
Durham Brewery Ltd

England, United Kingdom
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
View: Beers
Reviews by TheLongBeachBum:
TheLongBeachBum from California

3.8/5  rDev 0%

Presentation: Having arrived back in England on Friday 18th April for my annual 2 week vacation only hours earlier, as soon as I had my Suitcase safely dropped off at my Parents house [and as they were both at a Funeral] it was time to head to one of my favorite licensed establishments in Wakefield for some afternoon respite…..and of course a few (much dreamed of) Cask brews.

After my first Pint of Ossett Brewery Pale Gold and then the White Gold from Durham Brewery, I headed for the 3rd of four Real Ales available, and the second offering from Durham, White Scimitar at 4.1%.

Appearance: Yet again this one was impressively pulled into a fresh Glass by Eric the Barman, though this was a tad lively and it did need a top-up once I got my change back. Once topped and I had sat down at one of the few tables in the Red Shed, it had an incredibly clear sharp pale golden body which had some streamers, unusual for a Cask Ale. The head was broken by the time I took my first sip, I questioned that aloud and Eric the Barman informed me that the #2 Angram Pump in the Shed had chamber seal problems and was pulling small amounts of air and would be fixed soon…..but that was probably partly responsible for the clumpy look of the head.

“…oh and it’s a Lager by the way”……Eric added.

WTF!?!?!? A Cask Lager!?!? Cool….

Nose: Pilsner malts certainly come through in the nose. Biscuit taints the back end. Doesn’t smell completely like a Lager though…more like a light Bitter Ale?

Taste: Lovely smooth entrance, more pilsner malts and some delicate bitterness in the back, not hoppy at all, but bitter, like that from a Saaz hops. Nicely balanced but somehow confusing signals between the Lager and Light Ale aspects balance well against each other.

Mouthfeel: Average mouthfeel, drinks below its 4.1% stated ABV. Bitterness reigns with a creamy feel, the smooth conditioning really adds to the creamy feel of this one, very Moorish.

Drinkability: Goodness me, I ended up getting a packet of Walkers Cheese & Onion crisps to stave off finishing this brew long before I should have done for it too is very drinkable.

Overall: A strange offering from Durham Brewery, a Lager that is not unlike their other light golden Pale Ales, but which has a degree of differentiation that works well. Nicely done, but I preferred the previous Durham White Gold.

May 01, 2005