Trail Runner

Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
Trail RunnerTrail Runner
Notes: Trail Runner is a Hazy IPA brewed with a mixture of wheats and oats. Dartingly hopped with HBC 630, Mosaic, & Columbus. HBC 630 is a new hopped we discovered on our trip to Yakima known for its flavors of cherry, raspberry, & candy. Expect lush notes of red fruits matched with a cool pine. We’re having this one after a run on our favorite local trails.
Reviews: 7 | Ratings: 17 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by MikeWard:
MikeWard from Pennsylvania

3.72/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

16oz can into a pint glass. NO freshness dating despite proclaiming "drink fresh" NT has a lot of information on their label, would adding a canned on date be so hard?

Looks very good in the glass. Hazy yellow/orange body with a good white head which persists to the last drop. For all that, lacing is minimal.

Kind of a dull mixed fruit aroma

On tasting, the hop profile gives this a slightly sour ipa taste, not my favorite flavor.

Mouth medium, finish fruity and lightly sour.

Overall, the sour aspect isn't my thing, I've enjoyed other NT beers far more.

May 08, 2021

jwat from Pennsylvania

Apr 24, 2020
jhlosito75 from Pennsylvania

4.15/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

May 02, 2020
woodychandler from Pennsylvania

4.09/5  rDev -1%

I was recently staring into the abysss, I mean, watching a little TV, when I happened to realize that I had a subsCANtial amount of New Trail CANs in abeyance & decided to revisit them for yet CANother brewery horizontal. This shall be the third of this newest set. It's a CANQuest (tm) thing, if you don't understand.

From the CAN: "Trail Runner Hazy IPA"; "India Pale Ale"; Keep Cold[,] Drink Fresh".

I was equally anxious to drink this one as last night's Foot Path since although I am still not sold on NEIPAs, I really dig what my homeboys are producing at their brewery in BillTown (Williamsport, PA).

I beCAN by Crack!ing open the vent & going with an aggro C-Line Glug since I had a flare-up of both PTSD & anger management at work earlier & I'd prefer to take it out on a hazy/cloudy beer than on CANother human being. Phew. I was amused as it quickly rose up to form two-plus fingers of foamy, soapy, rocky, eggshell-white head with moderate retention. Nose was interestingly fruity with a sweet cherry quality, acCANponied by raspberry and a cool pine mintiness. This was no tropical fruit bomb, to be sure! This was more like what I am looking for, even in a modern version of an AIPA: fruit with pine and or grapefruit. In this case, it was red fruits with pine on the nose. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste blew out my sinuses as it came off like a Hall's cherry mentholyptus drop - minty cool with a sweet red cherry acCANponiment! Wow. Suddenly, I beCAN to pick up the red raspberry of my late paternal grandmother's garden & I was sent. In amongst all of this was the unabating pine mintiness. Phew! Finish was cool & dry with a lingering pine mintiness that recurred each time that I took a breath after the swallow. Phew! This was unique in my exbeerience. YMMV.

Aug 26, 2020
dbl_delta from Pennsylvania

3.92/5  rDev -5.1%

Undated (WTF) can into pint glass. Pours a murky gold-straw color with a nice off-white head. Great lacing. Initial impression is citrus, pepper, berries, slight pine resin, and weed. Mouthfeel is medium, as is carbonation. Not particularly soft. (All things considered, I'm not sure I'd classify this as a NEIPA - and the can does say "hazy IPA", which is not the same thing at all.) Finish is actually sort of dry, with muted citrus and little bitterness. Overall, this is OK but not one of my favorite New Trails.

May 11, 2021
TheBigBoy from Pennsylvania

3.02/5  rDev -26.9%

too many other good NEIPAs from NT to waste time on this one..disappointed..light on flavor, aroma, character, etc.

Jun 01, 2021
JohnniEMc from Pennsylvania

4.29/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I'm beginning to lose track of which hazy IPA from New Trail each is. This one is quite similar to Goggles, Snow Angel and White Out. My consternation is I can never get three different varieties at the same for a thorough taste test. I'd enjoy that, as I've liked them all. Again, a cloudy yellow-orange with a citrusy hop smell and taste with a great mouth feel, just like the others.

Apr 30, 2020
kraut6363 from Pennsylvania

4.43/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Jun 29, 2020

4.09/5  rDev -1%

May 09, 2021
mellonsm from Pennsylvania

4.51/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bright Yellow with an orange center. Thin white head. Very hazy.
Heavy on the citrus with notes of pineapple and great hoppy tones.
Very hop centric, but juicy and sweet to match. Grapefruit, pineapple, mosaic dominant hops.
Highly carbonated (which I prefer) and easy to drink.
High caliber NE IPA.

Apr 30, 2021
322wingedfoot from Pennsylvania

From a 16oz can. From the Instagram post: “Trail Runner is a Hazy IPA brewed with a mixture of wheats and oats. Dartingly hopped with HBC 630, Mosaic, & Columbus. HBC 630 is a new hopped we discovered on our trip to Yakima known for its flavors of cherry, raspberry, & candy. Expect lush notes of red fruits matched with a cool pine. We’re having this one after a run on our favorite local trails.”

Apr 17, 2020
StonewallSipper from Pennsylvania

4.18/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a New Trail cloudy, aroma is sweet, slight fruit smell, taste is slight bitterness, a mango, slight pine, but you get the oats also. I really like this Hoppy/Oaty style IPA.

Apr 30, 2021
TedStrosser from Pennsylvania

Agree, solid 4 across the board. Not one of their best, but better than the average Hazy IPA.

Apr 17, 2020