Texels Eyerlander Amber | Texelse Bierbrouwerij

Style: Belgian Dark Ale

Added by woosterbill on 06-19-2011

Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 11
3.4/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I don't ambers mainly because of the malt used that always comes across a bit too rough and unpleasant to me. However aside from that there is nothing wrong with this beer and the typical house yeast character is expressed as always with the Texel beers

3.03/5  rDev -9.6%

Yet another beer not on the menu but brought to me by the owner/landlord of the excellent Cafe De Grendelpoort, Valkenburg in Holland.

22 Oct 2012 and I asked if he had anything amber he wasn't showing in the beer menu: a 33cl bottle of this came my way.

To be honest I found it a bit boring from start to finish and went back to the on-tap Ayinger Celebrator straight away afterwards.

Clean amber pour, with a small white head.

Malts just about rule the nose and palate: broken down I found biscuity, bready and yeasty notes in both the aroma and taste but nothing strong enough to excite my senses.

This is almost bland: of course having it inbetween something as tasty as the Ayinger Celebrator can't have helped the brew a great deal.

3.48/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

On-tap at the Rake; served in a goblet.

A: Hazy, light reddish-brown body with a thin, coarse tan head. Ok retention, moderate lace. Not bad.

S: Not much to it, actually - some caramel malt, breadiness, apricot, apple, and spice. Not bad, just weak.

T: Spicy + fruity yeast up front, with plenty of sweet maltiness following up. Long, clean, chalky finish. Pleasant enough, but a little underpowered.

M: Light-to-medium body, lots of soft, lively carbonation. Fun.

O: This was a pretty pricy half-pint, and I was expecting a bit more. Not bad for the style, though, I suppose. I just wish the flavor intensity had been ramped up a bit. Give me Rare Vos any day over this one.

Texels Eyerlander Amber from Texelse Bierbrouwerij