Run Wild IPA

Gots
SCORE
Very Good
Run Wild IPARun Wild IPA
Notes: A nonalcoholic IPA.

Calories: 70
ABV: < 0.5%
IBU: 35
Malts: Premium organic malts from US & Germany.
Hops: Blend of Northwest hops with Citra and Mosaic at forefront.
Tasting Notes: The ultimate sessionable IPA. Subtle yet complex malt profile.
Reviews: 60 | Ratings: 123 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
DefenCorps from Oregon

1.76/5  rDev -53.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Can from TJs.

This looks the part, alright- clear, deep orange, off-white head - and even smells it a little bit, with some citrus and a little caramel, but there's this off-putting stale bale malt, so dull and oxidized that it becomes a chore. There's also some weird vegetal characteristics here. The palate fares no better, with the added downside of being thin and seltzer like, with a carbonic acidity. Mild hop bitterness, dull base malt, mild sweetness. A chore.

Thursday at 03:54 PM
twaltero from Illinois

4.12/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured with a decent head and smelled pretty damn spot on. Pretty easy to pass this off as any number of session ipa’s honestly. This is my go to n/a at this point and I’m a big fan. I recommend this and found it to be really good with food too. Is it two-hearted? No, of course not! But is it a legit beer when you want n/a? Absolutely.

Nov 21, 2021
Tucquan from Pennsylvania

3.73/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Had this on 2021-10-26 near Pittsburgh, PA from a 12oz canned on 2021-07-27

A - Pretty clear gold with a 1-finger white head and light lace

S - Smells like sorghum (earthy and sweet) and lemon. Pretty mild.

T - I don't know if sorghum was used in the malt bill but I get it here too. After that there's some lemon and earthy and floral spice. There's a Pale Ale level of lemon zest bitterness with some residual sweetness that makes this a nicely balanced finish.

M - Light-medium body and medium carbonation.

O - It looks and drinks like a craft beer. I'm just dipping my toes into near beer and I liked this one well-enough to order some more from Athletic. I'm a rookie at rating near beer to style so this will serve as a baseline as I expand my knowledge.

Oct 26, 2021
tcc from Pennsylvania

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

This is my go-to NA IPA. It's got the best balance of any NA IPA, and rivals some of the great standard-bearing IPAs for its palate of flavors. While I might still prefer a Founder's Centennial, Dogfish 60, or Bell's Two-Hearted on most occasions, when an NA is called for, this takes their place for me...without regrets. Honestly, for me, an IPA that is not quite as brazen as most hazy IPAs, that balances bitterness with hop sweetness, and that just delivers robust flavor without too much of an edge is the sweet spot of a go-to IPA. This is that NA beer. Do yourself a favor and try some of this stuff.

Oct 11, 2021
BBThunderbolt from Kiribati

2.87/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

12oz can (dated 9/5/21) poured into 16oz tulip. Poured a hazy golden-yellow color with about a half-inch of white head that had good retention and moderate lacing.

The aroma had a light malt sweetness at the front, with very light pine and grass hops behind.

On the tongue, pretty similar. The hops were subdued, although there was a touch of citrus showed through, the the grain aspect was still lightly sweet.

The body was smooth, a touch fuller than typical, and had a mildly sweet finish.

Drinkability was fine, no issues finishing the can, but I wasn't left craving another.

Overall, not terrible by any means, but no real outstanding features either. Worth a grab if it suits you.

Sep 30, 2021
illpass78 from Maine

3.46/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz can into a chilled mug at The Moose in Falmouth, Maine. Watching the Sox hopefully not blow it.

Look: Hazy/opaque Golden with a short white frothy head that reduces to film quickly. Looks like a beer.

Aroma: Kind of sharp lemon, perhaps more than I’d prefer. Becomes a bit less severe as it warms. Hops. A tiny bit of soap. Not the best nose, honestly.

Taste: Tastes like a decent lemony IPA. Grapefruit. More grapefruit. Less soap. Decent. Lack of alcohol isn’t noticeable, to me at least. Would definitely fool folks.

Mouthfeel: Prickly but drinkable. Good depth for an IPA type beer.

Overall: Do you not drink alcohol? You too can drink a wildly overrated IPA! Maybe that’s unfair, but it’s very so-so to my palate. Props to them for doing an NA IPA, and I might even try it again, but it’s pretty pedestrian.

Sep 25, 2021
flagmantho from Washington

3.8/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from 12oz can into a dimpled mug. Canned 8/3/21, so relatively fresh.

Appearance: medium golden hue with a dash of haze and lots of effervescence. Head is a thin finger of frothy ivory foam. Not bad at all!

Smell: light malty aroma with a light lemongrass hop character. It reads as more of a pale ale than an IPA to be, but overall it's pretty good!

Taste: malt is light up front, and the lemony hops are definitely in the foreground. The flavor then develops more of a malty flavor toward the end, with kind of a light cereal character. Again, it seems more like a pale ale than an IPA; however, I'd never guess that it was an NA beer.

Mouthfeel: light body but with a big carbonation and a perfectly decent creaminess.

Overall: this is absolutely far and away the best NA beer I've had to date, but it is only my first Athletic beer. It is totally convincing as a beer, and due to it's rock-bottom ABV is absolutely crushable. I really like it, and am really looking forward to trying their other offerings.

Sep 23, 2021
jlindros from Massachusetts

3.82/5  rDev +0.3%

Canned 2021/01/13
Pours a light fizzy head with med-lower retention, hazy med orange slight reddish color with sediment floaties

nose is very fruity, some citrus and tropical fruit, lots of generic tropical and pineapple Hawaiian punch like, a berry and stone fruit as well, light malt raw wort

Taste brings hops out front again, med bitterness with a bit of citrus and tropical fruit, more berry and a little stone fruit as well, light raw wort malt again, tropical fruit is very light the more I drink, but more generic fruit punch, dry finish, med-high bitterness, getting a bit grassy floral

Mouth is med to lighter bod, high fizzy distracting carb

Overall not bad, def like an IPA with low malt and big hops, enjoyable especially for NA beer, although it did ferment a bit more in the can and added too much carb and floaties, but still good

Aug 05, 2021
sklein11 from Michigan

3.91/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Easily the best N-A I've had (not that I've had that many). It actually tastes like a decent IPA. Real hops flavor and aroma, medium body and light/medium head. If there were a random IPA blind tasting, I doubt that it would be identified as N-A or come in last.

Aug 03, 2021
brewme from Massachusetts

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Picked-up a six pack of cans at Bradford's in Plymouth for about ten dollars. My first brew from these guys, and first NAB IPA. Graded on a scale. A great IPA, by no means, but pretty decent.

Jun 20, 2021
Reidrover from Oregon

3.34/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12 oz can from a 6 pack delivered from the brewer.
Looks nice enough poured into my glass. Traditional burnt orange body with a large rocky/frothy of white head.
Aroma mostly floral style hops..some sweet smelling malts. Like an APA in aroma.
Taste thin with a touch of hoppiness. Mostly floral but some nice citrus aspects.
Mouth feel is OK but thin for regular IPAs.. Weird bitterness in the end..sticky bitterness.
This would be an acceptable refresher on a 90 degree day ice cold. But my search for a great NA goes on.

Jun 13, 2021
Beejay from Virginia

3.58/5  rDev -6%

A: honey colored with a large of white head.

S: hoppy with grapefruit, and orange peel with a hint of wort.

T: nice ho character up front, lemon and grapefruit. There is some maltiness and a bit of that wort flavor most NA beers have, but this one is far lower.

M: light on body, moderate to somewhat low carbonation, but of a cling in the finish.

O: overall one of the better NA IPAs I've had. Worried drink again.

Jun 07, 2021
cyclonece09 from Wisconsin

3.78/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a can into a pint glass. Pours red orange with a small white head. Smells of grassy hops with slight citrus notes. Tastes of citrus hops, nice and bright, and very close to the real thing. Beer is light bodied and easy drinking, good carbonation. Overall a very good NA beer.

Jun 05, 2021
elNopalero from California

3.89/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

From a can, fresh—I ordered online, my shipment was delayed, but the beers that arrived were canned under a week prior.
Pours a caramel tinged tan.

The aroma is more juice than hoppy, a lemony—lemon pledge note. Some of that worty character is there in the back. It’s not entirely unpleasant.

I didn’t care for my first can of this, and found the wet cardboard-wort taste too prominent. A few days later and it’s mellowed out, with more of the hoppy lemon aid character present. Thin bodied, almost like a session ipa. I’m warming up to this one.

Jun 02, 2021
Specialmick from Connecticut

3.57/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Canned on 4-20-2021
Look...the standard west coast IPA look. Almost looks like a SN pale ale.
Smell...Like a lot of WC IPAs, there are there is a faint hint of citrus hop.
Taste...Crisp bitterness off the bat. An bitterness from the start, then a citrus drying grapefruit.
Feel...I kind of think i am low on this one just because i generally do not like sessions so my opinion is somewhat jaded. Prickly with adequate carbonation.
Overall...It's def an option for the cals and limiting them from my usual 325 350 IPA or Imperial stout. I think it's good for me because i think i enjoy my routine of drinking those big beers(almost) as much as them? Not really but it is an option i need to take for the waistline.

May 21, 2021
emerge077 from Illinois

3.11/5  rDev -18.4%

Canned Dec 23, 2020.
As with any IPA, 6 months is probably the threshold of "too old". Orange tone with bright clarity and ample foam, sudsy dish soap lacing all the way down. Smells like oxidized caramel malt, sweet cooked grains, devoid of hops. A stark reminder of why I stopped buying random shelf IPA's.

Nothing but caramel malt and weak citrus, unfortunately they went with a 1990's IPA recipe. City and Mosaic are totally absent. Astringent and watery with a mild bitterness, it tastes and feels like an IPA-flavored seltzer. Bleh. Such a sad example of "neither here nor there", it fails to satisfy the IPA craving, and instead represents a weak facsimile. Serve ice cold, which makes it a little more tolerable. Allowing to warm up just lets all the CO2 escape.

May 19, 2021
BerkeleyBeerSleuth from California

4.29/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Nice golden body with a cloudy white head. Nice fruity and floral hoppy aromas backed by nice grainy malts. Just bitter enough. Tea like character, a little grass. and melon fruit. Taste is full enough and doesn't have any off-flavors. Smooth clean finish. Better tasting than many session IPA's i've had.

May 07, 2021
HarlotBronte from District of Columbia

3.92/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours a dark gold with a 1/4 inch white head that dissipates quickly. Smells of hops, possibly citra. Tastes a lot like hop water or hop tea with SLIGHTLY more body. Mouthfeel is similar to “real” beer. The best NA beer I’ve ever had. I buy this about every other month when my liver needs a break. I actually prefer to drink it from a can.

Apr 30, 2021
SaltofOH from Ohio

4.01/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Canned 3/29/21. Sam Adams glass.

A: pours a light, pale copper with one finger of thick bright white head. Slightest haze, some tiny bits of sediment floating amidst ample, small-bubble carbonation. Lacing is outstanding; big sheets left on the non-drinking side of my glass. By any measure, that is a pretty beer.

S: the moment you crack it open you can smell the hops. Tart, underripe peach, mango, perhaps a bit of pineapple, with a floral undertone. Very modern hop profile.

T: arrives dry, tart, and a bit grassy. Apart from the taste of pure hops, there is little else here; not much in the way of malt breadlines or of sweetness. Supremely one-dimensional, but if you like that dimension (hops), it’s fine. Perhaps on the end there is a little yeasty funk that reminds you it really is beer. A little mild lingering floral hoppiness.

M: I’ve had several of these, and I am noticing for the first time that this feels almost like a nitro beer. Soft arrival, quite lightweight on the palate, but not as watery as you might expect, then followed by a prickle of carbonation.

O: this really is the best low-alcohol (less than 3%) beer I’d had, up until their golden ale. If I am craving a beer, this scratches the itch, without any of the downsides of alcohol. It really just tastes like a pretty straight-up session IPA. I plan on buying a lot more of this.

Apr 22, 2021
Bitterbill from Wyoming

4.18/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Canned February 25th 2021.

It pours a mostly clear gold with a finger of foam that refuses to quit.

I get grapefruit citrus, pine, with hints of caramel and toasted malt.

The taste is assertive. Grapefruit, some pine, hoppy with some sweet notes of caramel and kinda toasted malt. Nice and tasty.

Good close to if not medium body.

Dang delicious and worthwhile for times that I don't want any alcohol.

Apr 12, 2021
pianoguy from Washington

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12 Oz can. Package date 2/24/2021
Poured into a nonic pint glass

Pours a slightly cloudy golden body with a fluffy white head. Decent retention. Speck/partial ring lacing observed all the way down the glass

Overall scent was hop forward, mostly mosaic. I got a very small whiff of wort at the pour that seemed to masquerade nicely right behind the mosaic hop scent. I'm getting some kind of yeast and a few sweet pineapple notes

Taste has a good bitterness to it. I'm getting some cracker malts that along with the hops give it a slightly dry bitter finish. Nice!

Medium body is consistent with the style.

Very much like a northwest style IPA . Nice bitterness. The wort was very much under the radar. Really liked the taste. One of the better NA's that I've had. Will definitely have this again

Apr 10, 2021
MikeFromMaryland from Maryland

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I have been in search for the perfect NA beer for a long time. Most are so bad that they are essentially unpalatable. Not this one. It is nearly perfect in every way. When I enjoy one by itself in a chilled glass, I am completely fooled. I also love to cut some of my favorite IPA's, stouts and porters with this so I can enjoy more without getting s**t-faced! It's a brilliant beer!

Apr 01, 2021
ilikebeer03 from Texas

4.08/5  rDev +7.1%

Drank 3/24. can dated 1/13. poured at about 45F

pour is a light copper with a thick fluffy white head. good lacing and retention.
nose is fresh grain, pine, berry, grapefruit. a hint of malt.
Taste is a firm bitterness upfront with hop resin, grapefruit, pine. a firm grainy character becomes more and more prominent as the beer warms (I don't dislike it, though). Not malty like an old IPA....just...grainy. like cereal grains.
body is that of any typical beer. clean, and crisp. leaves you wanting another sip. lingering grapefruit bitterness.

Excellent.

Mar 24, 2021
Precisiondigital from Maryland

3.85/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is the first non alcoholic craft beer I've had so I am not really sure what to expect.

Overall, from a subjective standpoint it is pretty tasty. Rather malty, grainy.
Was from a can so I didn't get to actually see how it looks. Feel is slightly creamy with a sharp bitterness at the end.

I agree with another review on here that it has a worty taste, like it went stale.

I have to try more of these to get an honest feel for them

Feb 25, 2021
eppCOS from Colorado

3.79/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

L - golden, dark apple appearance, decent head actually, no lacing to speak of (NA)
S - this is where NA beers give themselves away to me; my sense of smell is too strong to overlook the worty spoiled apples smell that most of them have. There are some hop characteristics, but it is overwhelmed by the stranged spoiled malt/apple smell to me.
T - Same here, it's apparent that the wort aspects of the beer dominate, I don't get much of the complexity that others note in this (I'm too aroma driven). There is some after-taste complexity here, but it largely goes back to an "old orchard" aspect.
F - Again, with look and feel as close to real "beer" as you can get, this is prickly and lively - CO2 is on point and it can feel like a beer in the mouth. Missing that booze dryness from real beer, however.
O - Athletic is among the very best of the NA brands; we've come a long way in this category but we're nowhere near the "beyond beef" replacement possibility that non-meat products offer to vegetarians, for non-alcoholic beverages. Good placebo beer for this month of February (2021)

Feb 05, 2021
Run Wild IPA from Athletic Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 86 out of 100 with 123 ratings