Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

Added by brewdlyhooked13 on 09-07-2003

Reviews: 6 | Ratings: 9
1.9/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2

As some posters on here have said, it's more or less a ladies stout. Excellent for the milk production in in lactating ladies, and invalids as its not too strong. Yes it is. It was handed out in maternity wards to them. Might not be now though, cost. I think that's the reason it's not to some tastes.

3.88/5  rDev +81.3%

My Mom suffered from kidney problems and her doctor recommended a sweet stout with meals to help strengthen her health. She drank Sweetheart stout with her lunch and dinner and it helped her greatly.

There are lots of drinks and foods which might taste differently or weird from the normal however that doesn't mean they are bad for you. Many people still enjoy smoking and heavy alcohol consumption ???

1.08/5  rDev -49.5%

This is quite possibly the worst thing labeled "beer" I have ever tasted. It poured opaque black-brown into a chipped glass with no head. It had little or no carbonation, sitting there like the oil-slick I soon came to see it as. The taste was ... well ... BA asks us not to use profanity. The taste was vile: what I imagine it would taste like if I drained the sludge out of the oil pan of the 1974 Dodge Dart that's been moldering in your neighbor's yard with the weeds growing out the trunk. It coated my mouth like something I might need 14 days worth of penicillin from the free clinic to get it out of my mouth, and my bloodstream. To top that off, it gave me a killer headache. Ack.

2.68/5  rDev +25.2%

Stout fail I think. Sweet stout to a whole new level.

Looks okay enough - ruby with a foamy tan head. Smells sweet and somewhat metallic.

Flavour is where this fails. Sugar - not malts, not demerara sugar, but white sugar and maybe a bit of coffe. Maybe like an overly sugared black coffee. Not a stout, not a milk stout, not a sweet stout. Just sugar.

I can drink one of these, but I think more than one and I'd be on a sugar rush. Maybe used as a mixer for something? I will not visit this one again.

1.23/5  rDev -42.5%

One of the few beers I've had that I can categorize as "absolutely disgusting."

Purchased a 500ml can of this at a Scotmid grocery store in Edinburgh. Poured an icky looking Coca Cola brown into a pint glass. Unpleasant old bread and stale candy aroma immediately upon pouring is a real turn off. Flavour is revoltingly sweet, like Coke or Pepsi with added sugar, as well as lots of vegetal notes and icky off flavours. No body to it at all, and a nasty aftertaste I had to get rid of with food.

Drain pour after three or four sips.

Horrible, just horrible. Stay away.

3.21/5  rDev +50%

While this is labeled "Younger Of Alloa" it is a product of the Tennent breweries in Scotland.My wife said she was given this while in hospital after the birth of her daughter in 1978.Pours a velvety deep brown color.A slightly malty aroma-the sweetness of the beer is apparent as well.Tastes very sweet-no bitterness whatsoever.A slight hint of vanilla. Smooth mouthfeel-very creamy.Overall a decent example of a sweet stout.At 2% abv this would make a perfect breakfast beer.Its a shame theres not more beers like this-very full and tasty and low in alchohol.

Tennent's Sweetheart Stout from Tennent Caledonian Breweries
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.