Hertog Jan Bockbier | Arcense Stoombierbouwerij (Hertog Jan Brouwerij)

Hertog Jan BockbierHertog Jan Bockbier
3.61/5
Good
Hertog Jan BockbierHertog Jan Bockbier

Arcense Stoombierbouwerij (Hertog Jan Brouwerij)
Netherlands
hertogjan.nl

Style: Bock

Added by Jason on 12-14-2004

View: Beers
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
2.96/5  rDev -18%

Shared this beer with PapaEugene during our Bock-beer evening. This is a beer one can buy everywhere in the Netherlands. In the pub, the liquor shop and the supermarket.
Poured the 2009 version into a sniffer. The beer pours a dark brown-ruby color with almost no head and little lacing.

Smell: Metallic is the first that pops up in my mind, followed by grass, straw, spicy hops with some caramel and roasted malts in the background

Taste: Slightly sweet caramel at first, soon followed by bitter roasted malts, hops, grass, hay but also a bit dusty... However, the aftertaste is worst, bitter metallic...I really don't like this in my aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Thin-bodied with medium carbonation
Overall: I expected more from Hertog Jan. What I liked is that this beer is not too sweet, like most other Dutch bock beers. What I clearly didn't like, and for me spoils the beer, is the strong metallic taste that is present in this beer....

3.28/5  rDev -9.1%

This beer is a typical Dutch season beer and is usually dark and roasted with a sticky mouthfeel.

Color was deep redbrown, almost black with a thin head.

Smell was burned of the black malt and caramellic. I could detect a tobacco or sigar smell in it.

Taste was definitely not as sweet as the rest of the bockbeers I have tried, still a bit sticky. There is the burned malts and strong caramellic taste. The dark malts give the beer a good maltbitter and a slight strong coffee taste.

Everything a good bockbeer needs is in here. One of my favorite bockbeers this year (2006)

3.78/5  rDev +4.7%

The majority of beerloving consumers is leaning towards sweet bocks. This is probably the reason that Hertog Jan follows the trend and has made it's bock more sweet over the last couple of years. But being one of the sweetest 20 years ago, now it's probably just average sweet and I still like it a lot. Only a few brewers have had the courage to keep their Bock roasted and bitter. Strangely enough Heineken has done this with Amstel Bock and I can appreciate that one for it's bitterness. But Hertog Jan is more complex, has some roastiness but not just that. There's also caramel and some licorice in the finish. Nice mouthfeel, very drinkable.

3.53/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

However bockbeerseason is already geting to an end in Holland, I still have my fridge full with them. Bought them but somehow seldom feel like drinking them. Mostly I think because most are just to sweet in my point of view and don't feel like getting my mouth stuffed with candy when I want to drink a beer. One of the positive exceptions is Hertog Jan. It has a nice brown head that last well, deep red/brown colour style like. Nose is malty but with some yeastsmell, no hops. Taste is karamel with litle roast and hardly any hop. After that a litle sweet comes in your mout what gives it a fullmalty sweet aftertaste. Decent bokbeer that could have some more hops... in my eyes!

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Hertog Jan Bockbier from Arcense Stoombierbouwerij (Hertog Jan Brouwerij)