Hakim Stout | Harar Beer Factory

Style: Foreign / Export Stout

Added by jreitman on 07-18-2003

3.2

1.15/5  rDev -64.1%

this is probably the worst beer I've ever had. looked, smelled and tasted like fermented coke. maybe I got a bad bottling, but I can't proof it. just disgusting.

1.75/5  rDev -45.3%

1.85/5  rDev -42.2%

11.2oz bottle poured into a pint glass

This is the lightest stout I've ever seen (not in a pleasant way). It's a not-quite-opaque brown in color, with a thin, sort of clotty pale head. It looks more like a dark amber. Smell is too sweet, reminds me of a lager with caramel notes in it.

The taste is almost completely lagery. I wonder if they used food dye to getwhat little color there is in this "stout". This is no stout of any sort. Taste is unpleasantly sweet. This is a bad beer.

Mouthfeel is thin but filmy, not horrible, perhaps the best aspect of this beer. Not very drinkable. I'm very tempted to drainpour.

2.25/5  rDev -29.7%

Found this little stubbie bottle at the Kensington Wine Market, and thought it may have been Morrocon or Egyptian at first. But sunuvagun, it's from Ethiopia, that makes things more interesting. 5.5% listed on the bottle for abv.

Pours out a red cola hue, looks more akin to a bock than a stout. Quick fizzle of beige head that disipates quickly, and leaves a thin spotted film on top of the beer.

The aroma is akin to a strong dark Belgian ale, although comes very close as well to that one bad Baltic porter that I sampled a long time ago. I'm getting dates and raisins that had been liberally soaked in rum in the aroma, a little bit of chocolate and a lot of cloyingly sweet malt extract. But the overwhelming theme that I'm picking up is that of dates.

The flavour is mildly schizophrenic, as if this stout can't decide what exactly it wants to be. All that ripe flavour I previously encountered has completely disappeared, in fact I don't taste much of anything until well into the aftertaste when some roasted malt rises up and makes an appearance. By the time this stuff reaches room temperature (can ya tell I haven't been frantically chugging away at this stuff?) a marriage of sweet malt and thick chewy dates starts to slowly emerge around the middle of the sip and stands in together at the finish. The roasted malt, as always, continues to lurk in the aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is on the thin side, but gets a bit of backbone from some carbonation, providing this stout with a curious texture. Curious as in "what the heck is going on?", rather than "this is a mystery I'd love to explore and get to the bottom of, c'mon Scooby-Doo!".

I'm happy to have had the chance to sample this stout from Ethiopia, I'm not pining away for my lost cash that went towards the purchase of it, but I can confidently say I can't see myself buying another one of these, especially if I'm in the mood for a stout.

2.28/5  rDev -28.8%

Smell right off is sugary, like glucose based sports drinks. Just a hint of dark or roasted malt character that I'd expect in a stout. I get a whiff of DMS too.

Deep copper and clear. Lighter and more translucent than any stout I've ever had. Smallish but lasting tan head.

Flavor is actually O.K. but not at all like a stout. Sweet like a bock beer with decent malt character. But some of the sweetness seems to be unfermented sugar, maybe some adjunct sugar. There's no discernable roast character at all. Hops are there for light bittering but basically not a factor.

Body is pretty light. Carbonation level is also high that helps give it a little bittering bite.

Probably not a beer I will have again. If this were put in front of me blind and someone told me it was a bock, I'd think it was an average effort for a brew-pub or homebrew bock. As a stout, it fails on so many levels. As a R.I.S., it's not even close.

2.3/5  rDev -28.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Hakim Stout...in a bottle at Queen of Sheeba Restaurant

Appearance-pours a thick black, minimal head seeps out of the glass, thin viscocity.

Smell-charcoal and chocolate mixture, malt is apparent, slight hop flavor as well.

Taste/Mouthfeel-muddled, light chocolate taste, alcohol fumes, light coffee notes, subdued flavor, watery mouthfee, notably thin.

Drinkability-a little jumbled

Overall-not as successful as their other beer, a muddled weak Stout, not recommended.

2.31/5  rDev -27.8%

Had tonight at Asmara in central square. Very cold 330cc bottle served with an unfortunately chilled tall narrow stange glass. Beer pours very reddish brown color with almost no head. Aroma is very faint, but vaguely sweet and adjunct-malty.

The first sip is sharp with carbonation and not much else. The coldness amplifies this. The flavor is also sweet and vaguely malty but there's not much else going on here. It does taste fairly lagery for a stout. I really have no idea how beeradvocate came up with the "Russian Imperial Stout" designation. It's all of 5.5% abv -- and has none of the flavor profile.

The bottle says "Hakim Stout (Dark Beer)". As a dark beer, like a sweet brown ale, it's merely bad. As a stout, it's quite possibly the worst example of a stout I've ever had.

2.35/5  rDev -26.6%

2.43/5  rDev -24.1%

Appearance> Cloudy, light brown, no head, no lacing.

Smell> honeycomb icecream. different. nice.

taste> Almost has the sourness of a lambic, with an aftertaste that I chose to call "iffy" in my notes.

mouf> not bad. not more than okay.

Drinkability> I wanted to like it, but honestly I cant manage another one probably ever.

2.48/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Pours light brown with amber notes - surprisingly light. A very small head dissipates instantly leaving no lacings.

S: Sweet light roasted malt, some of it caramell. Nuts and some citric notes.

T: This doesn't taste like a stout to me - more like an English Brown Ale or something like that. Caramell malt with some buttery notes. Fruityness and citric notes.

M: Body is as thin as the carbonation is rich. Aftertaste stays for some time.

D: A very strange beer-experience. As a stout this is a poor product - but if I would review this beer as a "beer" rather than a stout it would get a higher grade, because it tastes and smells nice but very far from a stout.
Strange... I better have another one just to make sure...

2.63/5  rDev -17.8%

Picked this up at an ethiopian market. I was hesitant because the owner reccomended some beers and this was not one of his suggestions. I picked it up anyway for the sake of my fellow beer advocates. The low alcohol content had me wary with this long journey to the west coast. Had a nice carbonation phssst when I popped the cap and it poured nicely into a gobblet forming a solid one finger head. The froth was odd for an imperial in that it was off white at best and fell to an island with no lacing. Lots of dark fruity smell and huge chocolate presence that dominated throughout. I'm ranking this as an imperial but it seems more suited for a stout category. This has to have the worst mouthfeel of any imperial I've had. Watered down, nothing creamy, oily or anything other than a watered down chocolate and some burnt flavors but no zing. If there was such a thing as a "light stout" this would be it. Nothing offensive just doesnt produce the "imperial" status.

2.74/5  rDev -14.4%

I find it hard to review this beer if only because it's so clearly not a stout. If I were reviewing some sort of weizenbock, then maybe it would be easier.

Very strange looking "stout". Brown hazy beer. Almost looks like coffee with milk in it. Off white head. Instantly obvious this is not a stout.

Ok smell, but lacking any characteristics of any stout I've ever had. Getting some malts and wheaty sweetness.

Not a terrible flavor. Mostly malt, zero hops, again that wheaty essence. Un-stout-like.

Quite thin. Mouthfeel is definitely the worst aspect of this beer. Weak carbonation. Definitely on the boat too long.

2.75/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.79/5  rDev -12.8%

pours a semi-clear brown with a very thin beige head that dissipates quickly, and a very little lacing.

smell is of malt, some sweetness, and some caramel.

taste is a little watery, sour malt, and some caramel, ends a little tart and a little bitter.

2.81/5  rDev -12.2%

Appearance - Very dark with a red hue especially when held up to light. A decent amount of tan head covers the top of the beer but doesnt stay for long.

Smell - The aroma given off by this beer is weak but hints of chocolate and sweet coffee. I can't get much else out of it. Not very impressive.

Taste - The taste of this stout is also quite weak. Almost like its been watered down. Roasted malts are present with an almost sweet chocolate flavor to come. A slightly sour aftertaste was left in my mouth afterwards which was not very appealing.

Mouthfeel - Way too light for the style. This beer was thinner than any Porter I've ever had let alone an Imperial Stout. Carbonation was slightly high but not too noticeable.

Drinkability - This beer is drinkable enough. Nothing about it is overpowering and it goes down easily for me.

This beer is not something I would recommend to someone new to the craft beer scene. Worth trying once but not something I would have another go at.

2.82/5  rDev -11.9%

Pours a slightly murky cheestnut, which is quite light for the style, with a head that dissipates in about two seconds. No lacing. Aromas of caramel, light maltiness, and minerally as well. Tastes like a sweet stout mixed 1/2 and 1/2 with club soda. The flavors aren't bad, but the beer is light and fizzy- probably the lightest stout of any kind that I've had. Sweet caramel, a slightly treacly character, and mineral water round out the flavors. Mouthfeel is too light and spritzy. This beer is just okay. Too light, spritzy, and sweet. Never had an Ethiopian beer, and since it wasn't a fizzy Euro lager I thought I'd give it a try. Unfortunately, its a fizzy stout instead.

2.92/5  rDev -8.8%

I got this one at an Ethiopian resturant. It came in a stubbie bottle and poured a suprisingly transparent burnt ember color. No head, and a slight, slight coller around the glass.

This did not look, taste or smell like a stout to me. It had a caramel smell, and looked the color of something between a porter and a brown ale.

The taste was also nutty with a little roastedness and a small hint of rasins.

This beer was not all that bad but it suffered in the #'s because it did not fit the style it claimed to be. Also, i think, to truely enjoy this one, you must be somewhere deep in east africa, have a dusty throat and be sitting in the shade. I feel it would taste perfect then.

Reminds me of a Malta Goya or maybe a Negra Modelo. Very heavy on that semi-sweet malt quality that suggests molasses. Had it at an Ethiopian restaurant and it was in that "not bad" category that didn't necessarily inspire me to have another but also left me satisfied.

Hakim Stout from Harar Beer Factory