Harar Beer | Harar Beer Factory

Liked:
3.23/5
Alströms:

4.15/5  rDev +28.5%

An American Macro-Lager? Your ass. I am calling BS on this one. Bring in the experts and lets figure out the right style of this one.

Pours clouded straw with a touch of gold. White head. Nose is slight metallic with grain attributes. Flavor is smooth with a touch of sweet and a mild metallic taste. Slight lemon there and a fairly firm dough presence as well. Freat bubble on the mouth and a great liquid feel too.

I have had this many, many, many times (in the U.S. and Ethiopia) and have found it to deliver a wide range of experiences. I think if you are lucky you will get a fresh sample and get a good tasting. And when it's fresh it is pretty damn good. When it isn't...it's a waste of time.

4.12/5  rDev +27.6%

not like a traditional lager. Overwhelming notes of honey throughout. a little on the cloudy side and the mouth feel is a little heavier than i would expect from a beer that finishes on the drier side.

this beer is not what i expect when i open a pilnser, helles or dutch lager, it is somthing different.

it is however, what I expect EVERY TIME I go Ethiopian restaurant and somthing i look forward to.

4.1/5  rDev +26.9%

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass. Aroma- Nice blend of hops and malt Appearance- A very enticing golden color with a small white head Taste- A great blend of malt and hops Palate- Light bodied beer with moderate carbonation Overall- First beer from Ethiopia. If all are this quality then I can’t wait for my next one from this country.

This a tasty lager with a slightly unusual character that it hard to pin down.

Faintly hazy deep straw yellow, it has a medium, dense, creamy white head that shrinks quite slowyl and leaves fairly decent lace.

The aroma is sweet and flowery in a somewhat unusual, fruity-honey way. It has grain, honey, citrus, and light fruit.

The taste is sweet with white bread, grain, hints of honey, lemon, a faint hint of caramel, light fruit, primarily apple, and a hint of herbs or spice. The finish is soft with honey and a hint of herb. It has a long, mellow aftertaste of white bread, fruit, and herbal-honey-drops. The sweetness is light but persistent, balanced with a light spicy hint, cleansing quality, and light herb quality, but no clearly defined bitterness. Somehow, it stays interesting, light but tasty and cleansing, aromatic.

3.95/5  rDev +22.3%

This isn't a macro lager, it's another kind of beast. A very satisfying one.

Had this at the Addis Ababa restaurant in Silver Spring, MD. Pale, cloudy body that reminded me of a witbier. Dense head that didn't stick around too long. It gave a kind of fruity malt smell that was pleasant, but not great. The taste is surprisingly complex, but a little mellow, though not to the point of being watery tasting. Refreshing, with a bit of sweetness and noticeable apple and pear notes, some hops. Mouthfeel is smooth and a little fizzy. I could drink many more of these.

3.92/5  rDev +21.4%

My second beer of the night at the Ethiopian restaurant in Frederick Maryland, and the better of the two (Tusker). Unfortunately it turned out to be the last bottle of it on stock, as well. They gave me a Meta Export Lager after this one, and it was of far less quality (will review once I add the brewery & listing which aren't on this site yet).

A= nice golden with slight orange-stain, a modest head fading quickly.

S= Wow, quite a surprise! Very nice and enticing, slight sweet fruity flowery with some hops and apricot apparent, and of course, malt.

T= following the scent, I was glad to find that the taste was just as good. I hadn't expected much, but would love to find more of this. Much like the scent. Mild sweet-malt-floral aftertaste with apricot.

M= very nice, nothing detracting whatsoever, one to actually savor.

D= very very drinkable.

3.89/5  rDev +20.4%

I will agree with the other reviewers that this should not be a macro lager, though its origins and what not i cant attest to. It tastes like a fruit beer or vegetable beer.
I had this beer from a bottle at an Ethiopian restaurant in DC. I would not say this beer would be my first choice, its very light and has an almost floral aroma, but it has an interesting somewhat creamy mouthfeel with a floral fruity vegetable type taste. Its not a strong or offensive beer, but it was interesting. as i said before i have a hard time believing this is an American macro style as the taste for me is not even remotely reminiscent of any of those beers. It is light, it isn't a smack to the palate, but it seems unique and different

3.83/5  rDev +18.6%

Poured from the bottle into a nonic pint glass.

A very pale straw yellow body, large soapy bubbles that fall slowly. Body has some cloudy character to it with slow rising carbonation. Head settles with a puck that is pock marked

Nose is actually interesting. Honey, and spices. Sweetness that isn't macro smelling. It's actually quite nice not unlike a braggot with some spice.

Taste is light bodied with some actually playful carbonation. A little grainy on the finish, but also some sweet honey without a lot of sugar syrup stickiness or sweetness. A little noticeable gas but nothing outrageous, and nice light bodied.

Overall this is actually pretty darn good, for and "adjunct" supposedly. Probably the best one I've ever had in this style.

3.82/5  rDev +18.3%

I wasn't sure what to expect when ordering this beer at an Ethiopian restaurant in Seattle, but I was pleasantly surprised. This pale lager pours a pale gold with a wispy white head. Both the aroma and flavor are malt dominated and reminded me of some helles I have sampled. The beer also had a slight honey taste in the finish -- perhaps honey is used as an ingredient? The smooth malty finish is a great complement to Ethiopian food.

3.76/5  rDev +16.4%

Went to an Ethiopian restaurant, Harar Mesob, tonight in Arlington. Saw an Ethiopian beer on the menu and had to try it. Ended up having two with my food.

A Poured a blonde hazy yellow with nice white head that eventually faded.

S: not much in the nose. Some bready wheat-like aromas with a light hay-like graininess.

T: reminded me of an American wheat beer. Lots of bready, doughy malt chewiness. Paired quite well with the spicy cuisine I was having for dinner. Didn't seem like an adjunct beer whatsoever.

M: at 4.25% ABV, this one feels light with good carbonation. A nice quencher. Ample bitterness to even out the malts.

O: wasn't sure what to expect but was pleasantly surprised. Being in the atmosphere, this beer met my expectations for being at an Ethiopian restaurant. Would drink this one again, but the setting would have to be appropriate.

3.75/5  rDev +16.1%

3.75/5  rDev +16.1%

3.7/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Picked this up at an ethiopian market in LA. The store owner saw me checking out the ethiopian brews and said this was his favorite after work type beer. I was going to buy a sixer but he said its on him as I've purchased many beers from there. Gotta love beer drinkers and their attitudes. So I cracked this bitch as soon as I got home and poured it into a pounder glass. A bit darker in appearance than your typical lager and the head lasted longer than normal as well with some partial stickiness. The smell had me intrigued as it had that english yeasty presence up front with a sweet grain/malty backdrop. Very refreshing brew. I found the taste to be sweet but it had enough bitterness to balance it out. the mouthfeel was outstanding. Big carbonation that is pleasant and not overbearing. I could session this with ease and pleasure.

3.7/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Very tart, very refreshing beer. Pale yellow, decent carbonation, and big fluffy head. Whatever lace is left on the glass quickly rushes down to the beer. Nice, hoppy smell, with a bit of honey and malt. Crisp, light, hoppy taste. Aftertaste of honey and whole wheat bread. Crisp, light, refreshing, standard session lager.

3.69/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bought this thinking it might have the Ethiopian Hop Powder called Gesho Kitel in it. Does it? Read on.

Appearance 3.75: Poured out a hazy golden color. Completely opaque. Decent 1/4" head and OK lacing.

Smell 3.5: Nice bouquet. Heavy hints of malt and slight hints of a slightly sour mash scent along with a pervasive honey scent. Light notes of hops.

Taste 3.75: Front is light and smooth with little real flavor. Middle is very pleasant with a mid-level hit of delicious malty caramel and honey. Finish is balanced and refreshing with a hint of deeply alkaline hops and a slight taste of corn. Aftertaste is remarkable as a huge wave of very light malt seeps in and overtakes the palate. This turns into a very long aftertaste of pleasant light hops.

Mouthfeel 3.75: Lightly carbonated and a great match to the style.

Overall 3.75: Very nice beer. Light, refreshing and it contains absolutely zero negative beer flavors: no wet-dog, cat-pee, skunky tastes at all. Does it have Gesho Kitel in it? I have no idea. Regardless, this is such a pleasant beer to drink, definitely a session beer or perfect with spicy food. Recommended for a try to sip a beer from the ancient city of Harar.

3.68/5  rDev +13.9%

Well, it looks like I am the first to have a Harar beer on tap. Where? Harar, of course.

I will admit to extreme prejudice. There I was at the Ras government hotel on the main strip in Harar, 10 pm at night after feeding the Hyenas on the edge of town, the power cycling off every 20 minutes or so, sitting with a UNICEF aid worker from Belgium, and getting icy cold drafts of Harar beer. Was it the beer, or the circumstances? Was I experiencing travelers euphoria? (I know this well because I am a coffee taster by profession ... after weeks of awful coffee in rural areas of the world, once semi-decent, not totally defective cup will make you think you just had a Gran Cru coffee.) Anyway, a fresh keg, served fantastically cold, light, crisp, effervescent, great head, lively, and so drinkable. It was a very, very memorable beer.

Now, I can get it here in the Oakland California area in the bottle, and it is a C to C+ beer all the way. But that's a different case...

3.62/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured this into a wide mouth glass. Beer was a funky looking hazy orange color with a small creamy white head. Smelled a bit unusual (but not unpleasant) of grass and vegetables....taste was light, slightly sweet, with some citrus and some vegetable flavor. Overall, the beer paired very well with the spicy food...

3.58/5  rDev +10.8%

I had this interesting beer in Ethiopian restaurant. It was surprisingly good. It has a bit cloudy appearance, yellow color and nice head. Although it is a lager, it has some special taste, a bit honey-like. It's very easy to drink and goes extremely well with Ethiopian food. You should try it if you have an opportunity.

3.52/5  rDev +9%

Pours a pale gold, a little cloudy with a decent inch thick head that dissipates quickly. Aroma is a strange but not unpleasant mix of malt, honey and vaseline. I agree with the other reviewers that honey is a predominant flavor, followed by peat and malt with a light hop finish. Mouthfeel is surprising full and would help tone down spicy food and get your palate ready for more. A filling beer that would be difficult to drink more than two of.

3.52/5  rDev +9%

Served as the "African Beer" selection at the Massawa Ethiopian restaurant in Morningside Heights. Great place, by the way. I have absolutely no idea what to expect, as the waiter can't tell me anything about it. Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pilsner glass, which is what they brought me.

Appearance: Straw colored clear yellow, with a foamy white single finger head that sticks around for a while.

Smell: A big hit of sweet fruit, which was not what I was expecting at all. There is some of the grain that I anticipated, but just a bit.

Taste: Well, this doesn't taste a damn thing like any American Adjunct Lager I've ever had (I was shocked when I logged on to review and saw the classification). There's a lot of sweet floral fruit, some lemon, and a big bunch of grain, especially as it warms. On a related note, this beer gets dramatically worse as it warms, so try to have it cold.

Mouthfeel: Crisp but too thin. It complimented the spicy Ethiopian food perfectly, though. So it was refreshing in that sense. I feel I'd have appreciated it more if it weren't 20 degrees outside.

Drinkability: I'd have another. Hell, I'd have three with an Ethiopian dinner. If this is really an adjunct lager, it's probably the best I've had. I wouldn't ask for it at a bar (unless I was in Ethiopia), but this is a very solid situational beer.

Harar Beer from Harar Beer Factory