Full Sail Amber | Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub

Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub
Oregon, United States
fullsailbrewing.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Our Amber is a sweet, malty, medium-bodied ale with a spicy, floral hop finish. It's brewed with 2-row Pale, Crystal and Chocolate malts. And we hop it with Mt. Hoods and Cascades. We're as proud of it today as we were back in '89. And over the years it's earned 14 Gold Medals. Not that we're keeping track or anything.

IBU 31

Added by Bitterbill on 12-02-2001

Ratings: 1,187 |  Reviews: 468

4.5/5  rDev +19.7%

3.58/5  rDev -4.8%

12-oz bottle into Samuel Smith "Tulip" pint glass

A - crystal-clear body on the red side of amber, 2 fingers of off-white head, medium-high carbonation bubbles

S - grass, sweet molasses

T - strong spice and citrus from the hops, complimented by toasty malt with notes of fruit and chocolate, mostly-dry finish

M - chewy medium body, oily, high carbonation, astringent

O - a respectable amber; could do with less carbonation

3.33/5  rDev -11.4%

Poured from bottle into Sam Adams Winter Lager glass

Pours a dark copper with a thin layer of off-white head. No distinct smells, but reminded me of a lager (Yuengling) with a similar look. Taste was good but I felt it lacked a "star flavor" meaning that it was just plain but with long-lasting aftertaste. Overall, not my favorite beer. I would certainly try it again down the road, but for now it's so-so.

3.65/5  rDev -2.9%

Had this one with some avocado toast for lunch.

I used to drink this a decent amount when I was back in Portland, before I was of age, so when I saw it at the Union Sq. Whole Foods yesterday, I had to grab one. It pours a clear deep amber, with a respectable head. The nose has some sweet, toasted malt, but also a little bit of corn (something off). The taste was close to what I remember, but once again there was something off, quality wise, a bit of sulfur, and a bit too much diacetyl. It also wasn't quite as full as I would've liked. Overall, it was OK, but not what I was hoping it would be. Is Full Sail doing something differently, or has the nostalgia just worn off?

3.68/5  rDev -2.1%

A: Poured from the bottle into a pint glass. Body is coppery-amber with a half-finger beige head on top. Leaves a little lace.

S: Some toasted grains and caramel malt. Faint metallic notes.

T: Caramel malt foundation provides sweetness - which isn't really offset by any hop bitterness at all, though I'm getting a faint minerally taste. Some toasted grain as well. Finishes semi-dry but with sweetness still lingering in the aftertaste. A little heat is felt in the belly.

M: Lighter side of medium in heft. Carbonation is fairly creamy.

O: Taste grows on me as I work my way down the bottle, but overall I think it's a bit too sweet for me.

Full Sail Amber from Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub