Session Lager | Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub

ABV 5.1% IBU 18

Added by mattmaples on 05-17-2005

Ratings: 1,181 |  Reviews: 487

1.25/5  rDev -65.7%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

1.49/5  rDev -59.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Somehow or another my extensive previous review was lost before I could send it. I'll make it short and brief. I love my good German lagers- helles, pils, smoke, kolsch as well as my American pales, IPAs, pumpkins, maybe a coffee stout, so I have a fairly broad palate, but truly relish high quality German lagers. Reading the review and the rating I passed on Peroni to get a sixer of this. This was a big mistake. I hate to say it but some of the ratings on this website do not correlate to reality for me.

I kept it real, nostalgic in the bottle, as I have enjoyed many of F.S. ipas. They make a fairly decent ipa for the money and I was excited to try this based on the expert's ratings. Just be reminded, any comparisons to any German lager, even St Pauli or the old Becks is laughable.

Forget appearance, what's the smell? Artificial sweetner w/ a ever so slight corn smell. Think newly brewed rolling rock or the new corn- based red stripe but weaker and watery, not even offering any barnyard hay as rolling rock does. Aspartame combined w/ a watered down new version of red stripe is the best description. Awful.

The taste- dextrin, artificial sweetner, slight cheap corn. It seems like it is lacking the complexity that the addition of rice would give. Asahi, Saigon, Shinghtao have this one beat by far. The sweetness is nauseating and as it warms up the beer sours. Terrible. Coors light please.

Mouthfeel I don't know what to say. This is going too far in reviewing this effluent. Nondescript low carbonation, flat w/ a sickening artificial sweetness. A bit worse than the new red stripe. That's bad.
Overall, I have no idea how this brew got this high of a rating. This is proof the ratings must be taken skeptically b/c anybody in their right mind should know better. Even Warsteiner or St pauli (low end German) stomp this. I guess I didn't keep it brief, but this stuff has tainted my taste buds.

1.5/5  rDev -58.8%

1.5/5  rDev -58.8%

1.9/5  rDev -47.8%

A. Looks like an average lager.
S. Smells like an average lager.
T. Tastes like decent clean lager ... and then an evil bitter aftertaste that just keeps going.
F. Right carbonation for a lager.
O. Still looking for the salsa to get rid of the wrong type of bitter that's still hanging around.

Golden hue. Thin head. Appearance not impressive. No real aroma. Clean taste and clean to the palate, but unremarkable. Pretty neutral all in all.

[I am copying these notes over from RateBeer ... it does not require as long of review. I tasted this some time ago so I can't add anything.]

2.13/5  rDev -41.5%

Bottle poured into pint glass for reviewing. Poured a clear, thin, bright yellow with just a trace of head that had no retention or lacing.

A faint, sweet grass/corn aroma doesn't feature anything remarkable. The thin barely there flavors are much like the aromas.

Hardly any body body to speak of. Drinkable in the same way water is. I hadn't had a stubby of Session for several years as I wasn't a fan. But with the release of Session Black Lager, which I liked, I thought I would revisit this beer. I wasn't missing anything.

2.17/5  rDev -40.4%

I thought I’d hold out and sample Full Sail’s best selling new beer on draught at the Hood River brewery where it’s produced. But as I sat down at the bar in the newly remodeled taproom I noticed a small bucket full of Session bottle caps and the bartender informed me that the beer is only served in the 11-oz. stubby bottles, never on draught. They don’t even pour it in a glass for you, but simply crack the bottle and hand it to you.

It’s been a mighty long time since I’ve been served a beer like that. I ordinarily visit brewpubs to drink draught beers or at the very least, get a bottled beer served in a glass. So I had to smile at being caught off guard by the quaint old-school service. It seems Full Sail has taken the whole “working man’s session lager” thing quite seriously. And it somehow seems appropriate.

Bear with me because I’ve never, ever consumed a beer straight from the bottle for evaluative purposes. But if that’s how the brewery intends it to be served, I’m drinking this one straight from the bottle.

Session lager is the color of a pale lager inside a brown bottle. That is to say, I have no idea what color it is. All I can surmise is that the beer appears reasonably clear, has low carbonation, and doesn’t care to put forth a head. And the smell is… well, the smell is stuck inside the bottle. And no matter how much I tried to coax the smell out or squeeze my nose in, I just couldn’t connect.

By the way, the beer comes in a twist-off bottle but the bartender used a bottle opener. Score one for service.

After indulging all the inverse hullabaloo of a genuine proletariat stubby of lager (reminiscent of Oly), the taste of Session was frankly a bit disappointing. It’s actually just plain boring. Though it purports to be an all-malt beverage, all the classic shortcomings of an industrial macro lager are here in good measure – the wet-grass-in-a-blender taste with the drab, scowling finish. When I was eighteen I might have really enjoyed this beer. (While listening to an LP of Journey, no less.) But now that I’m all grown up I like to drink good beer, and this ain’t it.

Hint: drink it before it warms and you won’t have to taste it.

2.19/5  rDev -39.8%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2

It is both refreshing and has some taste. It has a Germany Beer taste. What is going on with 11 oz bottle ? After six pack , you have a half beer less 6 oz ! It is not cool Full Sail Brewery !

Appearance: Looks like Lager . It has nice lacing , clarity and head.

Smell: Like a beer. No foul smell

Taste: It has nice malts and hops to it. It taste is little tone own from Germany Lagers

Mouthfeel: Not to heavy or watered down, it just right for me.

Overall : I take moosehead , Heineken, corona over this beer at least they give me 12 oz with more or similar taste. Real Germany beer like spatan , lowenbrua has twice as much taste as session beer . Full Sail Brewery does not have no excuse for the 11 oz bottle just for misleading public and profit. You will receive half less 12 oz beer from a six pack! Also , I will buy grenade bottle beer from Coors and mickey in future for more taste and more beer ! 12 OZ BEER American standard not 11 OZ!

2.24/5  rDev -38.5%

2.26/5  rDev -37.9%

Appearance - pours a golden yellow with a light head that thins out, but stays there for the whole bottle, good amount of carbonation

Smell- malty, bready

Taste - hints of malt and light hops

Mouthfeel- smooth, not over powering

Drinkability- Drinkable, but not something I would try again. Has a watery, lemony consistency I don't like

2.26/5  rDev -37.9%

The coolest thing about this beer is the bottle. Beer poured from a cute stubbie into a shaker pint. Beer is yellow and clear with a decent head for about 20 seconds then it's gone, no lacing, low carbonation.

Aroma is sweet and pilsner-y....there is something off in the aroma.

Beer is thin and tastes like boiled corn. Gross. The finish is fine at least there isn't an aftertaste. I drank the whole bottle but that was because I was watching X-files on netflix, if I wasn't so preoccupied I would have poured it out and moved on for the night. I won't be having this again.

2.35/5  rDev -35.4%

$1.79 single from Oak Tree. Neat retro bottle.

Crystal clear yellow gold body. Big billowy white head decays almost instantly.

Big hay and grass aroma, with maybe a hint of skunk.

Very sweet hit in the center of the tongue. Somewhat harsh bitter hop bite at the swallow. Both sensations carry through the aftertaste. Overall tastes like a macro lager minus the adjuncts.

Light mouthfeel, slighty bubbly. If I was looking to drink a beer like this, I would not have switched to craft beers.

Slighty above American Macro Lager. Proceed at your own risk.

Session Lager from Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub