LTD Series - 02 | Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub

Oregon, United States
fullsailbrewing.com

Style: Maibock / Helles Bock

Availability: Spring

"The second recipe in our LTD series, LTD 02 is a light-bodied nonetheless hella good limited edition lager that is golden colored with soft malt undertones and is nicely balanced with a crisp clean finish. It's a gold
medal winner at the North American Beer Awards and three time gold medal winner at the World Beer Championships.

ABV 6.4% IBU 32"

Added by Dubbercody on 04-02-2007

2.63/5  rDev -28.3%

Enjoy by 101207. Served at just over fridge temperature in a pint glass. Purchased at Dean & Deluca in Napa, CA for $1.99. "Live The Dream" is written underneath the cap.

Appearance- Pours a loud, impressively deep burnished gold with a full, crackling 3 finger head. Steady carbonation streams continuously rise, replenishing the crown for several minutes.

Smell- Leaning more towards the hops, this is relatively boring and faceless. I wish there was more to say.

Taste- Malty with just a touch of cloying... not that it tastes artificial, it's just a bit syrupy and sweet. I think that the 6.4% ABV bumps up the sugars and to me it doesn't work to the beer's benefit.

Mouthfeel- Crisp and tingly in the mouth, with a slight aggression that feels appropriate for this beers sharp teeth.

Drinkability- I wouldn't revisit this offering from Full Sail again. I found it to be out of balance in aroma and taste, and an overall bear of an experience.

3.16/5  rDev -13.9%

Enjoy by 091407. Pours a thin layer of very light tan head over a crystal clear rust gold liquid. Smells floral hoppy. Dried hay, hallertauer and somewhat metallic (iron and tin).

Tastes wet sweet with prominent hop flavor and mild hop bitter mixing with a gentle carb acrid sting. Hop flavor is oranges and metal (steel) with strong aromatics rising retro-nasal. The hops make this a light bright fruity, which isn't what I'd expect from a lager. Quite thick mouthfeel, that leaves a hanging sweet. Not a summer simmer, that's for sure. Modest carb of fine bubbles that is more aggressive acrid than I would expect.

3.16/5  rDev -13.9%

A- Pours a clear amber color with a thick head that does not fade quickly.

S- Sweet malts come through heavy in the nose. Smells very similar to a red ale.

T- Tastes of grain, very earthy. Not very obtrusive but balanced well enough that I dig the flavor for a lighter beer.

M- Mouthfeel is fairly viscous with a good amount of carbonation.

D- This is where I feel the beer dominates. I could drink this at a BBQ with ease.

3.78/5  rDev +3%

Copper, with a light, steady stream of champagne bubbles. Head pours nice enough, but doesn't last very long. The nose is crisp, and owned by malt. Flavor is an interesting blend of caramel and bisquit malt, with a finish that reminds me of Saaz, perhaps it is. The mouthfeel isn't bad, by any means, but there's something a little chalky about it. A very nice, refreshing beer that for $5.99 is a steal at Trader Joe's.

3.71/5  rDev +1.1%

A light amber colored lager with a distinct orange tinge to it. Tall Off-white colored head. Technically this is very dark for a lager.

The smell is very hoppy herbal from the Nobel hops, but spicy does not make it in this lager.

The taste begins neutral on sweetness and quite malty for a lager; solid herbal bitterness in the finish and it is quite long lasting. Decently bitter this is thicker than average for a lager. Not much taste here except the hops and some mild malt, even seems a little like a Bock beer. Lots of herbs and a little citrus in the hop flavor, this is just a little spicy but not really worth mentioning.

The mouthfeel is good and very thick for a lager.

Quite nicely drinkable as all lagers should be. No strong flavors present this is a top notch lager never the less. No one will mistake this for a Pilsner.

The bottle said drink by 8/3/07. I drank it on 8/6/07. I can't imagine what 3 days difference makes, but I thought I would point that out. I poured it into a pint glass. It was an attractive medium honey color with thick foamy head that had a variety of bubble sizes and active bubbling in the body. The aroma was mild, and malty with a hint of yeast. The taste is clean, refreshing malty intial flavor with a short lived lightly bitter aftertaste. It was light bodied with relatively dry texture and active carbonation. This is a tasty summer lager that is refreshing an easily drinkable. I would definitely buy it again when in the mood for a lightish beer that is not overly complex. I would like to see more breweries including something like this. Not everything needs to be big and complex!

3.7/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Completely unaware of what beer style I am drinking, I pour LTD 2 out of its bottle and I am offered few clues. I get a brief whiff of citrus out of a headless, faded copper beer. Not much to smell or look at really.

Astringent grain hits the palate first but quickly gives the floor to a juicy tangerine character followed by deeply biscuity malt. Really great, full, malt flavor. I get grassy hop in the dry finish. Possibly the only thing keeping this from being a 5 in my mind, now that I see it is an all-malt, is that it is a little hefty on the palate, and lacks the crispness of its brother, Session. Really wonderful taste though. Would be amazing with pretzels. Full-bodies with lively carbonation.

3.58/5  rDev -2.5%

Full Sail LTD #02 Lager pours a big fluffy head over a clear deep yellow brew. There's not a
lot of carbonation here, though it is steady. The nose is lager yeast and light malt. The
flavor is light malt up front balanced by a bit of herbal hop. The mouthfeel is surprisingly
full-bodied, yet clean and a little dry. This is not a huge beer- but it's crisp and flavorful
enough to please the experienced drinker yet smooth enough to lure the proles off the Lite©.
A step up from their already tasty Session.

3.95/5  rDev +7.6%

Drank from a pint glass after I already had 3 out of the bottle. This beer very much reminds me of there Session. I loves me some Session!

Appearance- Pours a orangeish gold color that is darker than most Lagers. Nice thick white foamy head that recedes fairly quickly leaving very little lacing. Maintained a nice collar for practically all of the beer.
Smell- Nice and crisp. A malty honey sweetness is the dominant note. A very very light floral background is present.
Taste- Like the smell, nice and crisp. Like I said from the start this reminds me of my good ol’ Session. It’s a bit more full bodied than the Session but still has that caramelly sweetness to it that makes it so good, and so easy to drink. The alcohol is only 6.4% but still warms the tongue.
Mouthfeel- Nice medium carbonation and medium to full bodied.
Drinkability- This is a nice beer with lot’s of drinkability. It’s the big brother of Session. It’s got a touch more alcohol, touch more flavor and a touch more beer per bottle. Very solid summer brew.

4.65/5  rDev +26.7%

Wow!

This is not my normal style but boy do I like it.

Golden amber with attractive 1/2" white head. Very, very pretty in the glass.

The aroma is quite inviting. Lots of malt. Reminds of smelling bread baking.

The flavor is far more complex and malty than I normally expect from a lager. Very well balanced between malty sweetness and just a bit of refreshing crispness. There's just a tiny bit of hops but it seems to be just perfect to keep it from being cloying. Maybe a tiny, tiny hint of fruit --- apples or peaches maybe.

There's also a surprising amount of alcoholic warmth to this one.

And the mouthfeel... superb. Just perfect. Smooth on the tongue with just enough "texture" to be just right.

As for temperature to drink it at, I would recommend it on the cold side. Normally for a beer this complex and interesting I would go closer to cellar temperature but this beer seemed best just out of the refrigerator.

I will definitely be drinking more of this beer.

3.08/5  rDev -16.1%

A: Pours a reddish yellow; darker than a traditional lager. Lots of carbonation finishes with a nice, thick foamy head.

S: Smells like a lager - crisp and malty.

T: Surprisingly tasty! The malt is the dominant flavor, but the hops round it out and even combine with the alcohol to leave the palate a little dry. Makes me want more!!

M: Lots of carbonation makes me want a hot dog and some peanuts. It's not great, but it fits the overall theme of the beer.

D: I think this beer suffers from an identity crisis. It doesn't know what it wants to be. Looks like a lager, smells like a lager - yet drinks like a bock or even an esb. The malt is tasty, but the alcohol seems too high for this to be a good session beer. Overall - 'B'

3.65/5  rDev -0.5%

I tried this at the riverplace location. I am going from notes taken before sampling a bottled version.

A - Copper w/ practically no head.

S - Malty, slightly hopppy

M - Thin, watery, light on hops

T - Light slightly acidic, with a sweet flavor.There is maltiness that is pronounced and smooth. The hop accent adds to the overall taste.

D - A very decent amber lager, but not great overall. I found this to be drinkable, but could be better.

3.97/5  rDev +8.2%

Purchased as part of a mixed 6 Pack at Wilbur's in Ft Collins.

This pours from 12oz bottle(best by 091407) a hazy orange-gold with a small head of foam. It doesn't take long for it to shrink to just some spotting and there's almost no lacing.

The smell is very mallty. I note some caramel and some grain.

The taste is pretty flavourful. I'm getting some sweet malt and grain with some floral hop pungency with a dash of earthy tones that grows in presence, especially about midway through. The finish has a touch of hop bitterness to it and all in all, this is a very drinkable Lager. I like it.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured with a decent head that faded to thin layer rather quickly. Orange colored brew, pleanty of carb bubbles.

Aroma of grain, wheat bread, malts, citrus, and a hint of honey.

Not bad, a bit too much malt for my taste in a lager. Seems a bit out of balance, would have preferred a less sweet, crisper finish (like I have come to expect from a lager). Not really sessionable, but worth picking up a sixer to try it. It's not bad.

3.63/5  rDev -1.1%

This is a tasty beer.
a: Poured a nice deep orange/caramel into a pils glass with small bubbles rising. ~2 inches of white head with good retention and medium lace.
s: Tasty sweet with honey and grain.
t: The flavor starts off as I would expect with its smell, ends a little bit dry and a little bitter (reminiscent of their IPA). Really a pretty interesting taste for me.
m: moderate-light body with similar carbonation tastes just right.
d: drinkable. I don't know if it's really "hella good" per label, but nonetheless tasty good.

3.33/5  rDev -9.3%

Appearance is light amber with a crisp head. Aroma has malt and a grain smell to it. Taste is a full bodied lager, from the all malt no doubt with some bready/grain and a caramel sweetness. Mouthfeel is light a bit creamy but not thin with a good amount of carbonation. A bold lager to try with the all malt and ABV, but I couldn't drink as a session.

3.3/5  rDev -10.1%

A: Golden yellow in color with a billowing head upon the pour. The head fades to just less than one finger in pilsner glass as several strings of tiny bubbles steadily race to the top.

S: A nice malty smelling beer with hints of a honey like sweetness.

T: Not real flavorful. Like the smell the taste is malty with a touch of sweetness.

M: This beer is very crisp on the tongue. Its very light and smooth it goes down easy.

D: If this is your cup of tea you could drink a ton of these. With the nice ABV that it exhibits it would not cost you much to get you where you need to be.

Overall: I bought this one upon the urging of another customer at the beer store I frequent. Knowing that I tend to shy away from lagers I was hesitant. The price tag of $1.89 was low enough to influence me enough to try it though. After drinking it it's safe to say that I will be sticking to the Ales. This is not a bad beer by any means but I have the feeling my Ale bias has come thru.

3.92/5  rDev +6.8%

A 12 oz. bottle with a vibrant orange label, poured to a Widmer pint glass. Enjoy by: 072007.

A: Light copper, perfectly clear. A fair amount of rising carbonation to a fizzy white head, maybe 1/2-finger high. Dwindles to a thin film & leaves dome sheets of lacy cream.

S: Malty sweet, cereal grain in the nose. Lightly fruity, apples or pears.

T: Dry and grainy, a little caramel, faint herbal/grassy hops in the finish. The same apple flavor as in the aroma, just sweet enough, but also a little tart. Interesting flavor, not terribly complex, but a balanced blend of bready maltiness and dry hops.

M: Soft, light-medium mouthfeel. Light carbonation, very smooth. Light malty stickiness and light, dry hop bittering in the finish. Pleasant.

D: Easy to drink. Surprising ABV of 6.4% makes this a little strong for a session beer, but it's a beer that's unassuming and begs for drinking more than one of. Nothing fancy, just an everyday, working-class lager; another nice one by Full Sail.

3.68/5  rDev +0.3%

12oz bottle purchased at Huckleberry's in Spokane.

Poured an orange/copper color with a 1 1/2 " white head that dropped after around 3-4 minutes. Modest sheets of lace.

This had a bready malty scent along with tones of honey and grain.

Flavor started off with a malty sweetness that had elements of caramel and honey, then assumed a slightly more tart flavor with notes of green apples. There's also an earthy grain flavor in the background. The finish had a slight dry note.

Light bodied, with a carbonation that is just right for the style.

A fairly drinkable beer, though the abv is just a little too high for it to be considered a session beer. This hit the spot on a warm evening.

4.08/5  rDev +11.2%

Pours out a clear orange amber, reminds me of caramel, with a small white head that drops to a small bubbles and a ring around the glass.

Smell. Nice malt character, seems heavy but crisp. sweetness is there, but i think minimal (or less than i expected), but some have a fruitiness to it. I get apples and tart grapes (in a good way).

Taste. A nice rich, but smooth maltiness that is very much on the dry side. There is a small tartness to it that reminds me of a plum for some reason. Aftertaste is a little sweet with fruits. The flavor here isnt the most complex, but very solid and tasty.

Mouthfeel. Body is on the fuller side of medium with just a little bit of chewyness as it fills my mouth. Nice amount of carbonation to it. But i do find the 6.4% is hidden decently.

Overall, i think this is a wonderful all-malt lager. Very tasty and drinkable. not a malt-bomb, but for the style, i think the heaviness and the smoothness of this beer is great. There isnt anything in this one that i would just have to keep having, but very a solid beer.

3.78/5  rDev +3%

It's almost as though Full Sail read my mind. I loved the first LTD brew, but It was a tiny bit too strong for everyday. That's where this beer comes in. It's like a slightly lower potency version. ABV is listed as being the same, but it lacks the heat of the first batch.

Pours a medium copper color with reddish highlights that show up in light.
There's a thin head that forms and sticks around for as long as the beer lasts. It's not huge, but it's consistent.
Smell is "typical" for a lager, but it's on the sweeter end of the spectrum. Hops are there in full force. Reminds me of the approach that Boston and Brooklyn took with the lager style.
Taste begins sweet, bitters in the middle, and finishes dry.
I had no problem polishing off a 6-pack in just a few days.
It has a lot of the characteristics that make the American all-malt lagers their own style, but with a nod to exports as well.

It's not quite what I'd hoped for in an ideal world as I'd love to see them make an Oktoberfest or even a 5-6% ABV export instead. This beer seems like it wants to be a little lighter, but it's still a tiny bit too strong for what I was wanting.

I'm hoping LTD#3 keeps the sweet clover honey flavor, but takes the potency down a little.

3.4/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Saw this at my local Trader Joe's for $5.99 a 6er, so I figured might as well give it a go - the other Full Sail Ltds did me right.

It poured an orange color - almost as the same color as the label! Nice retained head topped it off. Sweet malts dominated the aroma along with a slight helium smell that I've noticed it heavily malted beers such as Arrogant Bastard. It sounds more off-putting than it really is. The taste is rather sweet as well. It has a creaminess to it that was kind of unexpected but welcome.

I have 5 more left and I'll drink them but it's doubtful I'll be rushing back for more.

3.95/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle bearing a "best before" date of 09/30/07 stamped on the label. Copper colored with a modest white head that only produced marginal amounts of lace.
Nose was sweet and malty with a lot of toasty grains and orchard fruits. Just a hint of hops carried along on a current of bready malts.
Initially this brew had the taste of whole-grain bread before morphing into a substantial fruitiness. Consistantly sweet with only a passing nod towards any hops presence. The feel was surprisingly full, creamy and smooth.
Very drinkable brew here; goes down smooth and has no rough patches to keep one from going back for more. A worthy beer from Full Sail.

Bronzed yellow body with lighter edges. Clingy, thick, creamy, off-white head. Clean golden honey wheat bread malt with some cooked vegetables, spicy hops, and sweetish apples. Nice. Taste starts out with toasted malts. Light honey and fruit come out. Some apple. Spicy, vegetal bitterness into the finish. Slight alcohol kick. Not bad at all. Medium-bodied with a creamy feel. Goes down easy.

3.15/5  rDev -14.2%

Thanks to Talisker for the extra! Poured a crisp pale orange with almost no head. The aroma is somewhat weak with pale malts and some very subdued citrus hops lingering in the background. The taste is remarkably average, malts with highly subdued hops, nothing worthy of a special release. The beer is medium bodied and not all that refreshing for a lager. Overall, this is an extremely average beer.

LTD Series - 02 from Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub