Big Daddy J's Malt Liquor | Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub

3.5

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 36 | Ratings: 59
3.5/5  rDev 0%

A-pours a golden straw color with a white head with average retention
S-just smells kind of sweet, no real distinction and no hop presence
T-lots of adjunct sweetness and a bit of bitterness to offset it in the finish
M-light-medium bodied despite the high abv
O-pretty much what you would expect from a malt liquor. Even though it isnt a fancy style, I think its pretty cool that full sail decided to make one, just something different

3.5/5  rDev 0%

Okay, I know I hate Malt Liquor but I decided to try this anyways (for $4 it was worth a shot). Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass. This pours a golden color with a mid sized off white head. The smells are of a sweet malty aroma, not full of the corn adjuncts which normally turn me off to malt liquor. The feel is medium, decent carbonation. The taste is pretty good better than the cheap stuff. You get a sugary load of malts but grain which is nice.

4.02/5  rDev +14.9%

Look:
Golden color, slight hazy. Fairly good amount of carbonation rising up. Small head.

Smell:
Sweet, rich, malty, hint of alcohol.

Taste:
Lots of sweet barley malts up front, corn bread, touch of honey, spicy-citrus hops towards the end. Body is medium, crisp, a little dry and syrupy aftertaste. Nice carbonation. Alcohol well hiding.

3.47/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance (3.0)
- Pours a very clear straw yellow brew with a hint of honey color. Not much head at all but some traces of white slurry which quickly dissipates.

Smell: (3.5)
- Quite the nice malty Full Sail grainy goodness. Biscuit, rich breadyness, light alcohols, and perhaps a grassy touch. Not bad really. Some light esters as well playing in the nose.

Taste: (3.5)
- Certainly a nice grainy brew full of bready malts, light sugary malt, esters and light alcohol. The beer doesn't taste bad by any means, and has a nice grassy earthy flare to it. Is tasty.

Mouth Feel: (3.5)
- This is a slightly dry brew because I think it has been bittered decently with hops. It is a slight touch syrupy, but overall medium bodied with a decent amount of carbonation. It's a bit watery though compared to what I remember a malt liquor being. Overall nice though.

Overall: (3.5)
- Compared to a typical adjunct malt liquor, this is golden. But it doesn't really pop in any one direction except for maybe the nice Full Sail malt profile. It is however drinkable, and worth the purchase. I got a kick out of its charitable contribution choice though spousal abuse is no laughing matter.

3.22/5  rDev -8%

Bottle opened on 9.26.12.

A - Pours a slightly hazy medium orange with a small white head that is gone quickly.

S - Sweet malt, mostly carmel and orange.

T - Very sweet malts, oranges and subtle spices.

D - Decent carbonation, but on the lower side, with a medium sweet body.

O - Sweet and un-eventful. Malty for sure.

3.88/5  rDev +10.9%

A: This beer pours a very nice golden amber body with a thick white head that quickly fades to nothing.

S: This beer really stings the nose when you take a whiff. I get a strong amount of grain, corn and a hint of alcohol.

T: Now this is how malt Liquor should taste! There is some corn, grain alcohol and a faint hop flavor. As the beer lingers, it REALLY becomes sweet on my palate and just turns into something very tasty.

M: This beer is surprisingly smooth.. especially for a malt liquor. It Has a nice crispness on the back of the tongue and a nice full body.

O: This is by far the best malt liquor I have ever had. Its one of those beers that i would drink all the time if it was year round. I got it for 3 bucks and well worth the price...Instead of giving me corn water BMC, give me something like this at a cheap price!

4.03/5  rDev +15.1%

22 oz. bomber,

A: Pours goldenrod with a medium frothy white head. Good retention, light lace.

S: Lots of sweet malt, some sourdough bread, light hops.

T: Some booze and heavy malt. Somewhat sweet. Very good malt character, I liked what this beer was doing. The grain character is quite inviting and works well with the ethanol.

M: Medium-bodied, boozy, but never a problem. Very smooth and crisp.

O: Really the least harsh Malt Liquor I've had. It's 8%, but never really feels like it. In a lot of ways it feels like a big pilsner. A fun beer to drink, and as long as Full Sail puts out good interesting sub-$4 bombers, I'm going to try them.

4.3/5  rDev +22.9%

Appearance is a deep, clear gold with a disappearing bright white head, exactly as it should be.
Smell is almost perfect: corn, cheap malt, and citrus-ish hops. The citrus-ish hops are what keep it from being perfect. They have no place in a malt liquor.
So, onto the most important aspect: taste. I was really excited about this and am both disappointed and amused. It is not what I was expecting at all. It fails as a malt liquor. It has very little boozy bite. It's got some alcohol "warmth," but it's nothing like the malt liquor bite I'm looking for. The reason for this is the balance provided by the citrusy hops that I smelled in the nose. It also has some peppery hops on the finish. These are problems in a malt liquor. Malt liquors, in my opinion, should taste noticeably corn, have a boozy bite, and have an otherwise simple lager taste. This is not that at all. It has more balance and complexity than it needs and in the wrong places. I would accept malt complexity in a malt liquor, but not multiple hop flavours.

On the other hand, it's a good beer. It's a good craft lager. The hops in it are not excessive for a lager and about as complex as a lager ever needs to be without going over the top. It's an excellent alcohol percentage for any beer in my opinion. It's just an all-around good lager. Not really what I would want to drink when I'm in the mood for the malt liquor style, though. As the previous review put it, Natty Daddy is better (within style).

2.65/5  rDev -24.3%

A - pours out clear, dark gold in color. the head is white and somewhat foamy with little to no retention. no lacing at all.

S - up front you get lots of corn and a metallic twang. Not much else going on.

T - The taste is very sweet with the metallic twang gone. Although there is a very unpleasant and unrefined alcohol flavor. Reminds me of a Hurricane High Gravity

M - Medium bodied but with low carbonation.

O - I did not like this one at all. I would rather drink a Natty Daddy.

3.75/5  rDev +7.1%

Edit: Reviewed on the beer's quality ... not any preconceived notions.

22 picked up at the COOP over the weekend... I bought one for me and one for a coworker who has the lofty claim of being a "Malt Liquor Connoisseur". I hope he drinks his bottle from a glass, mine is poured into my slim tulip. Short lasting 1 finger head, leaves spotty lacing... the brew is clear golden.

Nose shows much more "clean maltiness" than I was expecting, not the hot malty/creamed corn aspect. some very background hoppiness with warmth.. maybe some grassy hops fit in there somewhere.

Flavor isn't "exactly" clean... Some DMS for sure, but not terrible... Clean enough that some EtOH shows as a little hotness and spiciness... Basically just fairly sweet malts with not enough hops to balance... drinkable and sorta approachable for a Craft Beer drinker looking to slum it for a while :-)

Body is pretty thick as expected... carbonation is light making it go down easier.

If given this in a blind tasting, I would guess it a dumbed-down Maibock that didn't quite get the right carbonation. Or maybe a bigger craft Cream Ale.

Meh.... Honestly, I will certainly buy this one again just so I have one for my planned "Blind Malt Liquor" tasting with my buddy Jon.... and maybe 1-2 for guilty pleasures.

3.5/3.5/4/4/3.5

Picked this up tonight in Hood River. I did try a taste beforehand and decided to get a fill. Pours rich golden amber with a good three finger white fluffy head which lingers for at least ten minutes. There is still a white ring after about 20 minutes. Actually some minor lacings as well. Aroma is winey and cider like.
Taste is typical cheap high abv malt liquor, only it is the most refined and tasty version ever for me. Nice amount of sweet malts without being overly sweet. I swear there are even some hops in the finish. Hard to tell with the high abv. The alcohol dominates but isn't unpleasant. I am just finishing the first pour (about 12 ounces due to the prolific head) and am already feeling a good buzz. Years ago a high abv beer was 5%. Malt liquor was 5.5% in my state and pretty tasty stuff in the early 1960's. Country Club and Colt 45 were the two choices. This brew would be awesome if they aimed for that 5.5% level. That being said the boys that dig the "40's" would be in hog heaven over this brew. I suggest you buy a growler and split it with about three or more friends.
The mouthfeel is quite good for the style and I had a bit of a dilemma rating the drinkability. Hey within the style (high abv malt liquor) this is super drinkable. I actually talked with the brewer on the way out of FS. He doesn't look old enough to drink. Nice guy and welcome to Full Sail and I am looking forward to your future brews!

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last